Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 Aftermarket Upgrades

450 Aftermarket Upgrades 450 Aftermarket Upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Performance Tail Upgrades from KDE Direct for all 450 Series Helicopters

KDE Direct has just released the Performance Tail Upgrades for the Align 450, 500, 600, and 700 series helicopters! The new designs offer superior tail control and precision for all flying styles, with a precise bore for the stock brass bushing and a new flanged, radial ball bearing supported tail grip.

The best part about the new upgrades: they are a simple retrofit for the stock Align parts. No need to purchase aftermarket tail grips, hubs, or other expensive items. Rather, these are a direct replacement of the stock plastic tail control links that are known to wear and generate slop in a matter of 10+ flights. Once you install the upgrades, you will notice an immediate reduction in slop and a truly locked-in tail for your gyro to take full advantage of.

Thanks to all for supporting the KDE Direct brand!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AT450P-PTU1.jpg
Views:	2540
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	109939   Click image for larger version

Name:	AT450P-PTU4.jpg
Views:	3908
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	109940   Click image for larger version

Name:	AT450-450P-PTU_Installation_Diagram.jpg
Views:	2748
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	109941  
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any difference between these 2 ????

$19.95 + shipping
KDE Direct brand!

or

$5.8 shipped
ebay brand under 450 tail control link
autosonline2002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quite a difference in price. Could be a "Knock-off". That's the problem with buying online, ebay, etc. You just don't know what your gonna get.
wanderer56 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes, those are definitely a knock-off of the KDE Direct designs. Can you send me the listing for the eBay parts? I'd like to contact the seller and find out what is going on, as I'd hate for someone to purchase these, have issues with them, and then believe they were from my company. The parts are expensive to machine for the accurate tolerances required for a good design, so at the price they are offered, I'm confident they are going to be problematic for the tail.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

the clone parts is come from Wenzhou China.
also they copy my products too.
looks same,but different quality...
I hate them.

Last edited by iceman33; 04-09-2010 at 07:47 AM..
iceman33 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2010, 03:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegerator View Post
Yes, those are definitely a knock-off of the KDE Direct designs. Can you send me the listing for the eBay parts? I'd like to contact the seller and find out what is going on, as I'd hate for someone to purchase these, have issues with them, and then believe they were from my company. The parts are expensive to machine for the accurate tolerances required for a good design, so at the price they are offered, I'm confident they are going to be problematic for the tail.

actually cnc machines are very presice you do make very high quality parts but those other manufacterd parts work well too and are much more affordable if you pay 20 bucks for 1 tiny part of a heli it would cost over a 1000 dollars to build one with your prices.And they do not claim to be Kde you guys don't own the heli industry.
dean26 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I might be new to the Heli world, but I am (in real life) a road vehicle approval officer for the UK Governement.

The main problem with Chinese copies of anything is a fundemental lack of care regarding material properties. While I am sure that dimensionally the parts will be reasonably accurate, the actual materials will not be to the same standard as KDE's.

As a case in point, I was involved in the testing of some motorcycles from China - the front brake disc mounting set screws were of such poor steel that the disc was VERY loose after only around 1000 miles use. This was due to the fixings stretching under load. Tensile testing revealed that they were of truly appalling quality!

Everyone want's something for nothing, which is what the rip off merchants play on. I will be paying the full amount, thanks very much! I'm sure that KDE are very aware of the liability consequences of supplying poor quality parts. Who are you going to bring an action against when your cheap Ebay components let go and sends your heli into the face of an onlooker? The Wengzhou factory isn't going to give a toss!
johnc150x is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got a set of the fleabay metal pitch links.
Love them! Fit tight. Nice shiny machining.
(I like shiny things...LOL.)
Tastes better - less filling.
Your wallet stays fatter too.

KDE pitch links are made of 6061-T6 aluminum.
It's a pitch link...not a rotorhead.

Do I think that KDE parts are manufactured in the U.S. or Europe ?
Nope.

And Align itself is located in Taiwan. Am I supposed to think that
taiwanese factories are not used to produce this product?
Perhaps not...Align products may be manufactured in China
for all I know.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

flerpie, I have the chinese parts as well and they are great. Tight fit, no slop and have lasted a heap of flights. Who knows who came up with the idea first and for that matter both lots could have some issues from Align regarding the copying of parts. If there is no patents taken out then it's a free for all....it's business, leave the tears for bedtime....
bobsp1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I install the tail upgrades from KDE and I am having no luck. I am getting binding. Now, my tail slider is not smooth. I am not trying to knock this upgrade from KDE, but I think they should have better instructions.

I had to put the brass bushings in with pliers. Should that be the case? The screws that go through the brass bushings, should the screws be very tight? Has anyone else had binding issues? Maybe it is just me. It seems to me KDE has a great reputation so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

John
Old 07-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso View Post
I install the tail upgrades from KDE and I am having no luck. I am getting binding. Now, my tail slider is not smooth. I am not trying to knock this upgrade from KDE, but I think they should have better instructions.

I had to put the brass bushings in with pliers. Should that be the case? The screws that go through the brass bushings, should the screws be very tight? Has anyone else had binding issues? Maybe it is just me. It seems to me KDE has a great reputation so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

John
Hey John,

This is rare than binding is occurring, so send me an e-mail at patrick@kdedirect.com and I'll work with you to get it corrected or swap you parts. Sounds like an issue between the tolerance of the stock brass bushing and the KDE Direct tail control link bore, which is rare but does unfortunately happen on occassion.

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 07-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Patrick for your time on the phone today. All I have to say is great customer service!! Your first option worked.

Thanks again!! When I need an upgrade, I know where to go KDEdirect.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just fitted my KDE tail upgrade last night. One thing I noticed was that if I tighten down on the long screw that goes through the metal mount and through the bearing part of the tail link then the whole assembly gets noticeably tight. I therefore backed off the screw ever so slightly and made sure to apply locktite. This way everything is free and there is no slop. Does this sound like the right way to do it?
jpinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinn View Post
I just fitted my KDE tail upgrade last night. One thing I noticed was that if I tighten down on the long screw that goes through the metal mount and through the bearing part of the tail link then the whole assembly gets noticeably tight. I therefore backed off the screw ever so slightly and made sure to apply locktite. This way everything is free and there is no slop. Does this sound like the right way to do it?
I noticed the same thing when I installed mine on Saturday. Hopefully someone has an answer.
johnsma22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegerator View Post
KDE Direct has just released the Performance Tail Upgrades for the Align 450, 500, 600, and 700 series helicopters! The new designs offer superior tail control and precision for all flying styles, with a precise bore for the stock brass bushing and a new flanged, radial ball bearing supported tail grip.

The best part about the new upgrades: they are a simple retrofit for the stock Align parts. No need to purchase aftermarket tail grips, hubs, or other expensive items. Rather, these are a direct replacement of the stock plastic tail control links that are known to wear and generate slop in a matter of 10+ flights. Once you install the upgrades, you will notice an immediate reduction in slop and a truly locked-in tail for your gyro to take full advantage of.

Thanks to all for supporting the KDE Direct brand!

dont you think you should USE SHOLDER BOLTS and not all thread
Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerpie View Post
I got a set of the fleabay metal pitch links.
Love them! Fit tight. Nice shiny machining.
(I like shiny things...LOL.)
Tastes better - less filling.
Your wallet stays fatter too.

KDE pitch links are made of 6061-T6 aluminum.
It's a pitch link...not a rotorhead.

Do I think that KDE parts are manufactured in the U.S. or Europe ?
Nope.

And Align itself is located in Taiwan. Am I supposed to think that
taiwanese factories are not used to produce this product?
Perhaps not...Align products may be manufactured in China
for all I know.

at that price they should be made from titanium g6 imo yes iam cheap so what
Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone reading what "dude" wrote is just plain wrong. KDE makes great products and have great customer services. I had some issues, but it was minor and fixed with a telephone from them. That is how minor it was.

Great product!!

Thanks again KDE!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got my KDE tail upgrade last week and I had a binding issue as well, but its different then described above. The side with the bushing was binding, not because of the bushing but rather a tight fit between the KDE part and the stock aluminum piece that it attaches to. I was able to get rid of the binding only after lightly filing the parts with a super fine fret file. I can post pictures if you would like...

I'm slightly disappointed but didn’t want to go through the hassle of mailing the parts back, I'm sure it’s just a fluke... Maybe the bit in the CNC was on its last legs or something...

Sent from my computer using a keyboard
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default KDE

I bought the tail links ,battery & canopy mount .All fit and mounted up perfect.Thanks KDE for great products.To the others keep buying the knock offs but don't complain when we have no job's = no money to buy these Chinese products.Buy quality once.
Dennis P is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
I bought the tail links ,battery & canopy mount .All fit and mounted up perfect.Thanks KDE for great products.To the others keep buying the knock offs but don't complain when we have no job's = no money to buy these Chinese products.Buy quality once.
+1. Buy american!
jkonen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in