Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What gyro to buy

Goodday everyone.

I am in need of a new gyro for my t-rex 500. Have the logitech 2100 with a JR3500 servo on the tail. I'm still growing in my type of flying and feel that the logitech 2100 can't keep up with my abillties.
I have done some research and found out that the spartan 720 gyro is very good. The price differnence between the spartan, solid G and the JR gyro are not that much as i look at the prices of most stores.
My qeustion is if it's worth waiting for the spartan gyro to be in stock are can i buy a solid G are a JR gyro and have no problems with my tail? Or are there others that i might have not noticed?

Chris
chris287 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris287 View Post
Goodday everyone.

My qeustion is if it's worth waiting for the spartan gyro to be in stock are can i buy a solid G are a JR gyro and have no problems with my tail? Or are there others that i might have not noticed?

Chris
should you wait is not the Q. the Q. is can you wait.
if $ is not an issue, the spartan is better.

never the less, i have 3 JR 770 gyros and i love em. rock solid !
lavi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Or the CSM SL720, the gyro that shares a remarkable resemblance to Angelos' creation The CSM needs some more tuning but is at least as good as te Spartan.
The others I don't know really.

Last edited by jvthert; 11-24-2008 at 03:49 PM..
jvthert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

All i can say is the Spartan DS 760 gyro is way better than the GY611 for tail hold with a BLS251 servo, it has alot more of a locked in feel easy to set up etc one of the best Gyro's I've ever had.
5exi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Spartan is really better than GY611? Can anyone tell me if the Spartan has a heavy amp unit? One thing that I kinda want to stick with GY611 instead of switching to Spartan is because of the remote gain-setting feature that it works with my Futaba 7C 2.4ghz. I wonder if I can do the same with Spartan? Please let me know if you tried it with the Futaba tx.

Thanks
Thi-rex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the spartan is just one unit, really light weight
Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Spartan is MUCH lighter than the 611, one unit, no display and yes, it does have remote gain that is programmed via the transmitter.
An excellent gyro!
jlewis99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oke, it is hard to wait for the spartan gyro. But if i have no chioce i have to. Has no one used the solid G from Curtis Youngblood? That is a different gyro from the Futaba GY611 are i'm a confusing the name?

I want to buy a good gyro on which i can fly until i deside and have the money for a flybarless setup.

Thank you for the advise until now.

Chris
chris287 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

I have the solid G on my 700 and it is right on rock solid. I would say imo the two top gyros are the Spartan and Solid G. The pros/cons are The solid G uses the "G view" (extra) to program much easier than using a computer to set up the gyro and with the Spartan is it's size 1pc and small. - Kris
kris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

DS 760 and you won't regret for it, of course it's expensive, but worst.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you already have a 2100T on the tail, why spend any more $$ - I am sure that there are very few (if any) pilots who can outfly a 2100T - not to say it is the best gyro out there, but unless you are consitently flying like the top boys - do you ever think yours (or anyones) abilities will ever exceed the gyros capabilities?
Zoobie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Spartan... bar none. I have it on my Protos. I have a 770 on the Trex right now. Both are great gyros but the Spartan is superior.

I "heard" that Futaba is coming out with a new gyro that's supposed to spank the Spartan.
Mrktplayer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
If you already have a 2100T on the tail, why spend any more $$ - I am sure that there are very few (if any) pilots who can outfly a 2100T - not to say it is the best gyro out there, but unless you are consitently flying like the top boys - do you ever think yours (or anyones) abilities will ever exceed the gyros capabilities?
I've replaced my 2100T which was very good in my opinion. However moves like tictocs and hurricanes got it to wiggle like the gy401. It did not let go but because of the small wag in intensive manoeuvres it's very difficult to get into 3d for a beginner like me.
Now that I've converted to the Spartan I'll never look back. It's a different league and the 2100t comes nowhere near the performance and stability of this gyro. And that is not only beneficial for the hardcore world top pilots. It will help you push your limits as well.

One thing I really disagree with is advise like "xxx is too good for your skills" or "you'll never exploit the true potential of xxx so don't buy it...". If that's your opinion trade your own T-rex for something like a Walkera. Unless you fly insane 3D of course. No way? That's my point!
IMHO the better your equiptment the further you can go with it. That's true for pilots of any level. You're never better of with something that's worse.

If you can cough up the money get a top gyro. You'll never regret it.
jvthert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvthert View Post
IMHO the better your equiptment the further you can go with it. That's true for pilots of any level. You're never better of with something that's worse.

If you can cough up the money get a top gyro. You'll never regret it.
+1 Just recently I hurdled a major mental barrier just for the fact that my machines are operating correctly. I had the confidence to push the envelope without every worrying about where the tail is.
Mrktplayer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

cool, I see your point - I suppose a walkera would kinda limit me compared to my Trex .
Zoobie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in