Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 500

Atom 500 Compass Atom 500 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Update on the Update

So I fiddled with the Spirit Pro for an entire day (literally) and had nothing but problems. It would setup fine, but the self leveling would operate in reverse. (If you tilted the heli left, MORE left aileron would be added). I knew that this was a recipe for disaster, but no matter how I reversed channels or played with settings, I just couldn't get it right. I was just about to give up when it dawned on me that MAYBE if I was to change the Aileron to the Pitch, (from what it indicated in the manual) it might just work.

Once I did that, VOILA! The heli worked just as it should. I should say here that the Spirit Tech support was very good and quick to respond. They also said that the manual on the ESPRIT site was out of date (that's the one I was working with), and provided me a link to the new manual. By that time, I had already sorted out the problem but I'll have a look at it later

Now for the Maiden... ROCK SOLID... Not a twitch, out of the tail.. The only thing I noticed was that this heli is QUICK!!!!! I think I'm going to add a little expo to it until I get used to it... Super powerful and sits there like it has an anchor. I am quite impressed with both the Spirit AND the COMPASS ATOM500... Thank you to all of you who kept encouraging me to stick with this one. I think I'm going to really like it.

Last edited by hrefab; 07-24-2016 at 02:46 PM..
hrefab is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2016, 01:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

OUTSTANDING hrefab!

Your perseverance paid off!

Was the whole thing just a bad FBL unit?
Old 07-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
OUTSTANDING hrefab!

Your perseverance paid off!

Was the whole thing just a bad FBL unit?
I am of the opinion that the Futaba CGY750 that I had originally installed on the heli was most likely bad. I sent it back to Futaba and in response, they sent me a brand new unit.. that alone tells me that there was something wrong with it. However, I was so disgusted with the whole process that I never re-installed the new one and as you know, actually got rid of the ATOM for a time...

I am very happy that I got it back because I really was very interested in the ATOM..

With the new FBL units and based on my excellent experience with my Goblin 500 and a BD 3SX, (and the good things I had heard about the 3DIGI and Spirit Pro), I thought that I should at least give the ATOM one more try with a better/different controller.

I am So glad that I did... Now as I said, all I have to do is slow it down a touch until I get a handle on how if flies... But that tail is NAILED DOWN!

What a pleasure! Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 07-25-2016, 01:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

hrefab,

You made my day sir!

Outstanding!
Old 07-29-2016, 12:18 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Took the ATOM out for a test flight (I guess you could call it a 'second maiden") and it was a ROCK. Solid tail and smooth as glass. I do have to hold a little back elevator as the battery I'm using makes it a bit nose heavy, but I dialed in some expo on my 14SG and it was like flying on rails.. The Spirit Pro FBL worked very nicely and Piro's were smooth in either direction. No bounce, no overshoot. (Still had to get after the nose, but not too much).

I went back to the shop and redid all the linkages, and double checked my setup. I found myself with a lot more pitch than I care for (13.8°) so decided to redo the setup. I changed the damper o-rings as there was a bit too much slop in the blade grips. Also changed the Feathering shaft as I thought I detected a tiny bit of warp in it when I rotated the one bolt. Could have been an optical illusion, but I had a new FS so why not change it? I'll put the old one on the surface plate and see if it's really straight or not.

I also saw that one of the drive tubes also had a little tweak to it. Prostar is out of them but I did have one in the tool box so I changed that too. I've decided that I want this to be as perfect as I can get it because after seeing how nice if flies, I want it even better.

I love the way my Goblin flies, but honestly, I think if I get this ATOM sorted out and 'just so', it's going to give my Goblin a run for its money.

Now I"m, thinking about one of the larger Compass offerings, but one thing at a time...

Thanks to the encouragement here I'm really enjoying this heli.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

hrefab,

I'm really pleased about how your Atom is flying for you-also impressed by your perseverance!

The Atom 500 is still one of the best flying 500/550 size machines out there!
(and my personal favorite!)
Old 07-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sometimes you just have to take a step back and clear your head... This was SO worth the time. It just flies beautifully. Smooth as silk.

Just have to figure out a better battery choice so I can get a more precise CG.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in