Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gas Powered Thoughts

Gas Powered Thoughts Advice for Gas Helicopter Success from Carey Shurley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sneak Peek - Century Radikal Condor

Normally I reserve sneak peeks for products that aren't yet on the market However in the case of the Century Condor which has been available for several months now, there is very little information available about it.

Peter Chao of Century provided me with some photographs of the production model as well as some from the prototype. Here is a link to the Assembly manual, its still in pre-release form. Click on the Manual cover to download the manual

The Condor is configured for 830mm blades and is designed as a lifting machine. Its intended for commercial purposes not for any sort of 3D or really even sport flying

It appears to have a payload weight of about 15 lbs and a flying time of around 30 minutes as configured. The rotor head wasn't installed on this model

Chassis/Fuselage

A little closer view of the side of the canopy

Side View

The tail rotor isn't installed on this model

Rear boom cover

Here you can see where the canopy and the rear boom cover meet and overlap

Front/Rear cover intersection

with the canopy removed you can see that the boom cover is recessed so that the canopy fits rather flush with it

Front Cover removed

A close up of the main drive train

Drive Train

The model uses Century's proven and heavy duty FBL rotor head

FBL Rotorhead

Much like the JR GSR260, the JR Forza and several new models, the Condor uses a boom cover. The tail boom is a standard arrangement and this cover is attached to it as shown

Boom cover internals

Here's the tail rotor, you can see the metal drive gears. This is the standard Radikal 30 V2 tail rotor arrangement

Tail Rotor

The tail boom on this model is really long. Rather than use a really long push rod to control the T/R, the servo simply mounts at the rear of the tail boom which results in a very short, resonance free control rod

T/R Control system

A good look at the rear of the chassis. Although the drivetrain is from the Radikal 30 V2, the frame design is unique to the Condor

Rear chassis

The fuel tank carries over 25oz, enough fuel for about 30 minutes of flying time. If more time is needed additional tanks can be mounted

Fuel Tank

Here you can see how the tail boom mounts to the chassis, and the additional boom support

Tail Boom mount

and where that support ties into the tail boom. The extra long boom has 3 supports

Tail boom support

The model requires the PUH format of the Zenoah engine. If you're familiar with the Radikal 20/30 series, this mounting will look familiar. It should because all of the drive train is lifted directly from the Radikal 30 V2 series. Very tough and proven. Includes the standard H/D clutch which efficiently transfers power to the large rotor head. This model has an 8.18:1 gear ratio

Zenoah PUH format engine

The landing gear is graphite, with reinforcements. Its taller than standard to allow for a payload. There are optional mechanisms for payloads

Landing Gear

this model is one of the reasons Century created their UAV muffler. Its quieter than normal which is desireable because these types of models are typically operated around populated areas

Century Commercial UAV muffler

And there you have the Century Radikal Condor!

Last edited by carey shurley; 04-20-2014 at 05:55 PM..
carey shurley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Call me crazy but I really liked this heli.

EXCEPT for the skids. So I would shorten the skids to look like this:

Last edited by Calil; 05-12-2014 at 09:39 PM..
Calil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

its not a bad looking bird. and I am sure it will serve its purpose very well for pictures and things, but keep in mind its not for 3D.

Team KDE Direct, TRM Power, Byron Fuels, MKS Servos
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for that review Carey. Looks to be a great addition to the big gasser market.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I purchased one of these kits just a few weeks ago and I'm in the process of building it now. Its my first gasser, so I'm taking my time to ensure I learn all that is required. The build went well, just a few issues with the build manual but an experienced builder will work around it. Quality is great, and it shares many parts with the Radikal G30v2. I'm installing the HWC 29E engine with the Century UAV muffler. My maiden flight should happen within a week, if everything goes according to plan . I'll write-up my take on this machine once I get it flying.

Bryan
datatools is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wonder how much the price of this thing is due to the canopy, and if they would sell it without? The kit is so much more than the G30 machine it's based on, I can't see the justification.

If it's truly supposed to be for UAV usage, I'm not sure how many people will be interested in the canopy. Quite often they're run naked.

Former Managing Director of Maxxum Robotics Inc.
R_Lefebvre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good day.
I have long been engaged in helicopters as a hobby and for work. I bought a few helicopters century, namely G30v2 1pc and condor 5pc. I can say that they are absolutely in the mechanic, the price of condors very overpriced.
And now about the quality. I even had to deal with the Chinese clone HK600GT helicopter, even the Chinese clone of the quality higher than the century. You do not think that this is an anti advertisement. I actually came a lot of problems with these helicopters from the outset.
1. helicopters came understaffed in each of the sets something was missing. in the end of the 5 sets, I was able to collect 3 helicopter.
2. in one set was originally clutch bell curve, indicating poor quality control in manufacturing.
3. The main problem is the tail. Because of him, I had already 4 more crash.
3.1. Case of the tail which poured from plastic curve. Because of this imbalance is created in the gearbox and its rapid deterioration.
3.2. Geared 21T pinion tail attached to the shaft of the key. Because of this, I had a crash, during a flight feather flew out of gear.
3.3. Metal Gear can not be exposed to constant gap, which is why there is excessive wear on the gearbox.
3.4. plastic sleeve which carries ply gear rotates and you have lost the tail. (later to attach an photo). in that the sleeve also includes a drive shaft of the tail with one hand while the other gear is fastened ply.
3.5. The bearings in the front gearbox is not very high quality. particularly large bearings in the front and rear gearbox plastic bushings.
3.6. tail slider bushing 5 hours of flight produce up to strong deterioration. This is a very small resource for this part.
4.In the main rotor approximately 5-10 Flight appears backlash, due to bad bearings.
5.Frame of fiberglass instead of carbon fiber. Carbon has a total of 2 layers on the front side. This I found only on the Chinese clones.
Sorry for my English, I used a translator.

Last edited by vadson; 10-25-2014 at 04:29 PM..
vadson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

...so I take it you will not buy another one?
gassed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in