Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My Blade Exploded today

Adjusting the tracking today on my kitchen table with a brand new set of Eflite woodies. Spooled her up and it was a little off so I readjusted and spooled her up again and BAM, one of the woodies lets go at the root. Blade skimmed my left shoulder and took out a vase behind me on a shelf. I was holding the heli by the skids and looking at the blades even with my eyes. I was almost another victim, whew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HeliAccident2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	163234   Click image for larger version

Name:	HeliAccident1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	163235  
Tomscave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

holy crap..... helis are Dangerous, NEVER spool up while your that close to it, you need to be at least 15 feet from it while spooling it up checking tracking, glad no one got hurt worse.
Poor heli.
brand new set? never flown? I be talking to whoever you got them from

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomscave View Post
Adjusting the tracking today on my kitchen table with a brand new set of Eflite woodies. Spooled her up and it was a little off so I readjusted and spooled her up again and BAM, one of the woodies lets go at the root. Blade skimmed my left shoulder and took out a vase behind me on a shelf. I was holding the heli by the skids and looking at the blades even with my eyes. I was almost another victim, whew

Wow...that's a wake up call for me because I do the EXACT same thing! I'm glad you were not seriously injured! It definitely could have been a lot worse!

How exactly did the blades come off? Did the grips break off? Grip screws weren't tight enough and rattled off? The feathering shaft not tight and let go?
Old 06-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is the second post in the last few weeks where someone could have gotten hurt badly by checking their tracking while spooling up and holding the skids. I can understand someone that doesn't own a heli not realizing how dangerous they can be but someone that does own one should know better.
If they do know better and still do it then I guess you can't fix stupid.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eabing View Post
Wow...that's a wake up call for me because I do the EXACT same thing! I'm glad you were not seriously injured! It definitely could have been a lot worse!

How exactly did the blades come off? Did the grips break off? Grip screws weren't tight enough and rattled off? The feathering shaft not tight and let go?
The blade broke at the root. Only thing I can think of is it was a defective blade.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry227 View Post
This is the second post in the last few weeks where someone could have gotten hurt badly by checking their tracking while spooling up and holding the skids. I can understand someone that doesn't own a heli not realizing how dangerous they can be but someone that does own one should know better.

I agree Larry. It's been storming all day here and I couldn't go outside. I should have waited, but I got a case of stupid.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bet you won't do it again.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

the tracking is something i hate doing i have got to the point where i dont know how best to do it , first way i tried was holding the tail holder spooling up and looking at the blades, nearly got hit by a blade, so then i decided to try and tracking out side and spooling up the heli to head height and looking at the blades, but this can be just as dangerous, as your looking at the blade you can loose focus of the fact that your still controlling the heli and i nearly lost control .
dazzzer30 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Can't argue with you there. I am guilty of this. I spool up my heli in my large living room. I never get it off the floor. I have a piece of heavy lumber that goes through both skids to weigh it down. But I stoop down in front of it only four feet away to see how they track. Definitely won't be doing this again.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You could always get someone else to watch your blades at a hover from a safe distance. Or video it.
Really guys, like my mom use to say.........it's all fun and games until someone looses an eye. Don't let that someone be you.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Strap it down to an ironing board and dont leave anything dangleing. And stand at least 10 feet from it. You cant eye the blades for tracking anyway if you are so close you can hold it!! Man you are lucky!! Bet you will never do that again HUH!
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Tracking is tough.. I have taped my blade 400 down to a solid floor with duct tape a few times.. I run two pieces through the skids, then another two pieces on the outside of the skids to "tape down the tape".. It's pretty obnoxious, but I don't want that bad boy getting loose..
Geardaddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
Strap it down to an ironing board and dont leave anything dangleing. And stand at least 10 feet from it. You cant eye the blades for tracking anyway if you are so close you can hold it!! Man you are lucky!! Bet you will never do that again HUH!
Why would you strap it down? Bring it up to an eye-level hover outside where you can do things safely. (This is the finless recommended way). If you aren't comfortable doing that, get some help.
mulicheng is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That is my Fav t shirt, i am wearing it right now!
people I run into just love it.

BTW, We have used something heavy like Rebarb before to hold the heli down to check tracing and such things but now I just hover 15-20 feet away and look at the tracking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shirt.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	163266   Click image for larger version

Name:	shirt (1).JPG
Views:	79
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	163267  

Old 06-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Always keep a pair of these with your heli stuff... Make a habit, you can even get dark ones for outside. $5 or your eyes? Which is better to loose?

Old 06-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Whats the diff? whether its bolted to the floor, held at eye level or hovered at eye level bottom line is you have to get it line of sight in order to get it right. It can cut loose in anyone of those scenarios, I'll be wearing safety glasses.

Dave

If they say Smith&Wesson on them I'll bet they don't cost five bucks :-)
Deputydawg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydawg View Post
Whats the diff? whether its bolted to the floor, held at eye level or hovered at eye level bottom line is you have to get it line of sight in order to get it right. It can cut loose in anyone of those scenarios, I'll be wearing safety glasses.

Dave

If they say Smith&Wesson on them I'll bet they don't cost five bucks :-)
Check this Link DeputyDawg, Amazon.com, sold from Coast to Coast Safety for $4.69.

http://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Safety.../dp/B000TBMZZS

Old 06-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I'll be a monkeys uncle................I was thinking along the line of designer shooting glasses.............my bad........prying foot out of mouth!
Deputydawg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydawg View Post
Well I'll be a monkeys uncle................I was thinking along the line of designer shooting glasses.............my bad........prying foot out of mouth!

We need more smileys, like a foot in the mouth smiley... haha
Old 06-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would rather be 20 foot away where the blade has time to drop and hit the ground then right at it where its going to hit me as soon as it brakes yes helis are SO dangerous people scare the (&^ out me standing in line with a airplane prop while motor is running full power but there is less chance of it breaking and sticking in your side then the heli blade breaking and hitting you, its all chances so oh well. do it how you wish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in