Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G6 / V120 Series

4G6 / V120 Series Walkera 4G6 / V120 Series Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default v120d02s new v2 drffting backwards in hover

I just got a v120d02s from oomodel. When hovering the heli, the heli starts to drift backwards. I have not updated the firmware to the one with telemetry yet (waiting for my cable to come still). Anybody know what causes this? The swash plate is leveled, blades are at 0 pitch at mid stick. I don't see any vibrations when hovering either.

I remember reading somewhere that somebody might have this problem, I can't find the post again though.

I can't really compare it to the mcp x, 130x, tarot 450 pro v2 yet. Hopefully I can get this drift problem fixed.
briareos7777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What do you mean with "hover"? This is a micro CP bird. It is supposed to drift to all kinds of directions when in "hover". If for you it is backwards, than you are supposed to correct this manually. There is no such system on this heli to let you hover in one place without manual correction.

Blade MCX, FBL 4G6V-2S Xtreme, FBL 4G6V-1S
Xtreme rewind, FBL 4G6S-1S Bell 222 Darthdark, FBL V120D02S
hjns is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you think this is a quadcopter than go buy a quad copter. This is a helicopter. A cp one at that.

Its supposed to he like that. It'd normal. Welcome to the cp world bro. My vd02s always drifts to all directions especially the right.
helikido is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine tends to drift right a bit too, both of mine. It's fairly normal in a collective pitch helicopter, as long as its not drifting too badly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
// WK2801 // Spektrum DX4e //
jonbailie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I get it into a pretty stable hover then after like less than half a second it starts tilting backwards and keeps doing it. None of my 3 mcp x does this, or the 130x, or the 450s that i have.

The tilt backwards happens kinda fast. Even if i get it into a slow moving forward after 2-3 seconds it will start moving backwards, with no stick input after i get it moving forward. Maybe I did not describe the problem correctly.

I've been practicing piro flips on the other helis.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you own any other helis? So your drift happens even if you were already moving left then just let go of the sticks it'll eventually start moving to the right?

One last question . Which firmware are you using on the v120d02s v2 (The one with telemetry or one without). I can't upgrade mine to the one with telemetry until the cable comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbailie View Post
Mine tends to drift right a bit too, both of mine. It's fairly normal in a collective pitch helicopter, as long as its not drifting too badly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, I got my backward drift fixed. I think the main thing that was causing it was the main blades weren't balanced. I guess it was messing with the flybarless system. Balanced the blades and I put O rings on the swash and O rings on the servo arms (did servo saver mod). Also, the front servo had some slop when I was changing pitch. I shimmed the front servo with some folded up paper and tapped it to the bottom of it, before putting the holding mount over it. It flies like all the other helis besides for the 6 axis gyro auto correcting. Can do stationary flips with it just like all the other helis. Flipping is slower than the mcp x though. Hopefully walkera will have new firmware that can have this configurable somehow.

The power on it isn't that bad also. Need to still change my pitch curves like what I have on my dx7s with like 0 20 50 80 100.

Overall, I like the heli. Looks a lot more durable than the 130x and looks like it'd be easier to replace some parts.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My V120D02S V2 drifts backwards, more like flies backwards. When hovering I am holding forward stick, as soon as I let stick go heli pitches nose up, as much as 20 - 30 degrees and starts flying away backwards. Clearly not "normal " drift.

Heli looks fine, no shakes/vibration, blades tracking good, swash level etc etc. I read a setup and it said to "adjust swash till there is no drift, fore/aft left/right, swash may not look level". This worked, heli flies fine, and swash certainly does not look level now. Swash is tilted way forward.

However, while this cures the symptom, I believe the cause lies elsewhere.

Any input on this most appreciated. TIA

heli64
heli64 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The bottom of the swashplate and tail boom should be level. Notice the tail fin. It stands taller than the landing skids giving the heli a forward tilt the swashplale needs the same forward tilt.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, as I said, I started with level swash (square to main shaft).

Now it is trimmed to hover swash is leaning well forward.

Going on 50 and have been flying models all my life, helis for last 25 years.

Anyone else.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

May have found answer, back soon.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, will try and explain as best I can.

What i did was disconnect motor and observe swash when thr/collective stick is moved. What i first noticed is when pulling stick back and stick nears -100% thr, -93% to be exact, the servos jump suddenly a few degree. Front servo down, 2 rear servos up, tilting swash forward. I believe it does this when stabilization turns off. When advancing thr, there is no noticeable jump when stabilization turns (-93%) on but swash does seem to level itself.

Must just be the nature of the beast.

Need to see what it does in adj mode.

Cheers
Old 02-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My advise to any one with a drift problem is, provided you are sure all is good, adjust swash as necessary till you get no drift, do not be concerned if swash does not look level.

heli64
Old 04-14-2014, 05:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=13

heli64
Old 04-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have solved my rearward drift problem. See linked thread with video.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2152418
Old 05-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

i think the v120d02s is slightly tail heavy and it may have cause the perpetual rear ward drifting. try playing with the weight distribution, i shaved off part of the rear fin and trim it so much so that the boom stays level to the ground.
fishcake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Guys,

I am new to world of rc heli's. So please help me out. I am also struggling with backward drift on my V120d02s.

I have set up my heli using the instructions in the thread below:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=424479

All seems fine until I try to take off. As I push the throttle stick up the swashplate tilts back and the heli drifts. I can control it but its really annoying.

It isn't a trim issue (atleast I don't think it is) and it only occurs when the gyro is enabled.

It also isn't present when I'm in "adj" mode.

I have posted the link to a video of this mysterious phenomenon below.

Please help me guys

Walkera V120d02s Swashplate on take-off (0 min 37 sec)
TheFlyingMike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Guys,

I am new to world of rc heli's. So please help me out. I am also struggling with backward drift on my V120d02s.

I have set up my heli using the instructions in the thread below:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=424479

All seems fine until I try to take off. As I push the throttle stick up the swashplate tilts back and the heli drifts. I can control it but its really annoying.

It isn't a trim issue (atleast I don't think it is) and it only occurs when the gyro is enabled.

It also isn't present when I'm in "adj" mode.

I have posted the link to a video of this mysterious phenomenon below.

Please help me guys

Walkera V120d02s Swashplate on take-off (0 min 37 sec)
Old 12-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try mechanically compensating for the drift-- if it drifts backwards then shorten the elevator servo link, etc. Do NOT use trim on your tx, that does not work with fbl controllers.

Chief
BHChieftain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2014, 01:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
Try mechanically compensating for the drift-- if it drifts backwards then shorten the elevator servo link, etc. Do NOT use trim on your tx, that does not work with fbl controllers.

Chief
Thanks for the reply Chief, however, to me it seems that it is a controller or gyro setting that is the problem. I may be wrong though.

Mechanically, the swashplate is level until I push the throttle up. That's when the swashplate starts to tilt back. As I pull the throttle down you can see the swashplate jumping forward into the level position again.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in