Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 100 Class Electric Helicopters

100 Class Electric Helicopters 100 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Wont fly forward outside?

I recently purchased a mini 4 Channel electric Heli and this may sound odd, but I have a real hard time getting it to fly forward outside... It flies forward fine in the house but once outside it just doesn't move much at all.

Can it be a slight breeze that I can not feel?

Would a similar, but bigger R/C heli solve this problem?

Here is the link to the one I purchased. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had a lot of practice in the house over the winter and can fly rather well.
wonderd4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 01:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's pretty normal for this type of a heli. Even the slightest breeze will slow it down dramatically. For the most part the only micro helis that perform well outdoors are collective pitch.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah mate that s an indoor heli even though it may have been advertised as outdoor. As above

you'll need to graduate to a collective pitch bird for outdoors. Browse this sight for more info,

when I should be telling you to leave now before you get so addicted to rc helicopters that you'll

sell a kidney to feed the addiction.

heres another good site thats got plenty of info and will answer most of your question

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/

and this one looks good too, I just found it myself now

http://www.rchelicopterweb.com/

Now don't blame me if you need dialysis in the next year or too.
NightHawke 250 4S
347mont is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 04:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you don't want to go CP yet, the 120SR is a nice outdoor easy-to-fly step up. However, I got bored with mine after about two months and bought a 500.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go CP
Old 04-16-2014, 04:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Welcome to the world of RC helicopters. Your addiction is about to begin.

Any help you need you'll find here.

That is a standard micro coaxial helicopter. They are typically of the 3 channel variety and have a very tuff time flying outside because they don't have the controllability of a collective pitch heli.

You're about to learn a lot on heli's.

Enjoy
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 04:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairNinja View Post
If you don't want to go CP yet, the 120SR is a nice outdoor easy-to-fly step up. However, I got bored with mine after about two months and bought a 500.
Great trainer yes and started on that puppy after my double horse 9101 coaxial lol. But honestly even the 120 isn't great outdoors. Kearn all orientations with what you have (flying indoors) then get a beginner CP, meaning one rhat can take a crash. Master that then leave the micros alone, they can be money pits IMO and the the world is your oyster.
NightHawke 250 4S
347mont is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 06:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try fly it backwards. The v911 is better in the wind with tail first

That's at least how mine behaved
Old 04-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

To those saying thats a coaxial - its not. Thats a fixed pitch heli with a stabilizer bar.

I had one too (a different model) and learned to fly on it. It was a great little trainer.

Mine would do 20mph in forward flight and would still easily drive forward even on windy days.

FP heli's are sensitive to wind but not nearly as much as coaxial. I would check to make sure your servos are moving freely and that you have enough travel in the servos to allow the swash to tilt forward and initiate forward flight. I would also check your Center of Gravity. If you pick it up by the head, it should balance over the main shaft. If its tilting back you may need a larger battery to help bring more weight over the nose.

If a few simply things don't work I would return it for another one. These "mall heli's" as they're called are really hit and miss - Their quality control standards vary quite a large amount from one unit to another so you may have just gotten a bad one.
OXY rep
DCflyer is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347mont View Post

when I should be telling you to leave now before you get so addicted to rc helicopters that you'll

sell a kidney to feed the addiction.
You mean I can get heli parts for just a kidney????
Where do I sign up?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've flown similar outdoors - it should be able to fly in a pretty good breeze - won't be fun, but it should be able to fly in it. Ballooning is the biggest problem.
If it is a wind related problem, it should fly forward in at least 3 directions, just not into the wind.
There is a pin on the back of the swashplate that goes into a long piece of plastic with a groove cut into it (anti rotation bracket) - make sure the pin didn't come out in a crash - that will stop the swash from tilting freely.
short fuse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderd4 View Post
I recently purchased a mini 4 Channel electric Heli and this may sound odd, but I have a real hard time getting it to fly forward outside... It flies forward fine in the house but once outside it just doesn't move much at all.

Can it be a slight breeze that I can not feel?

Would a similar, but bigger R/C heli solve this problem?

Here is the link to the one I purchased. Amazon.com: Wl Products - 4CH 2.4GHz Mini Radio Single Propeller RC Helicopter Gyro V911 RTF Red and Black - This 4CH 2.4GHz mini RC helicopter with pioneering single propeller, built-in Gyro, extremely light weight, strong resistance of impact, steady and agil: Toys & Games

I've had a lot of practice in the house over the winter and can fly rather well.

Those WL911's are actually pretty fun little heli's. They are almost bulitt proof and last a long time considering. They will readily fly outside even in some breeze. There are two control rates you can fly it in. Make sure its on the most agile rate.
seefest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

my mistake, I should have looked at the picture alittle better before calling it a coax. whooops
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Some of those have hi and lo rate modes... maybe the OP needs to switch to hi rate mode?
GauiX3 350mm 6S
TucsonFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
There are two control rates you can fly it in. Make sure its on the most agile rate.
It's basically a clone of the Blade mSR. I wasn't sure about the radio, but I was thinking it'd have dual rates for a more agile mode too. I've tried both ways and in slow rates, yeah it'll barely do anything to fight the faintest of breezes. If that isn't enough, the pics on the OP's link looks like it has two sets of ball links on the swashplate. If so, it's like the mSR where one set is short and the other is long. The short set is likely the factory setting and more tame. The long set would essentially give more cyclic throw for even more agility.

On my mSR, the high rate/short links setting is enough to fight the breeze. Note I said fight, not fly. Heli's like these aren't going to do hardly anything in a breeze (even the rotor wash bouncing off walls back to the heli if too close to one can throw a hover off). But I will say it's sometimes a fun challenge to fight the breeze outside.
Mooncatt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's a V911 and it can handle small amounts of wind outside.

There are several control rates available, and you need the higher rates for outdoor flight. On the swash you will see there are two sets of balls at different lengths, the longer balls give you more pitch and are for outdoor flight.

Then on the TX, press the "Mode 2" button on the left. This switches the TX into higher rate mode, giving you even more speed.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 01:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by short fuse View Post
I've flown similar outdoors - it should be able to fly in a pretty good breeze - won't be fun, but it should be able to fly in it. Ballooning is the biggest problem.
If it is a wind related problem, it should fly forward in at least 3 directions, just not into the wind.
There is a pin on the back of the swashplate that goes into a long piece of plastic with a groove cut into it (anti rotation bracket) - make sure the pin didn't come out in a crash - that will stop the swash from tilting freely.
This was the problem. The pin was out. Also I adjusted the it to use the longer set of ball links. Now I can at least fight the wind a little.

Onto the next question. I am looking for recommendations on my next heli. I really like this one. It survived a TON of crashed. So I would like to upgrade to collective pitch.

Here is what I am looking for:

Collective pitch

Very durable

Long flight time

Relatively the same size as the micro I have now. Maybe a smidge bigger(the smaller they are, the less likely they are to break when they go down)

Can be flown outside and inside.

Less than 100 if possible closer to 50. I like having a little spending room to buy extra blades/batteries.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I believe I would like the Blade Nano CP X RTF Nice and small. Also takes same batteries I am using now.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hard to beat what you have without spending a chunk. The Walkera range are OK as beginner CP helicopters, but the blade mCPX range are far more durable.

A second hand mCPX and transmitter may just squeeze into your budget, but you should also buy a sim as you move to CP, it really helps you learn and flying is more fun when you're not crashing every few seconds.

I went from the V911 to a Walkera Super CP and then to a Blade mCPX BL and a sim. In all honesty if I were to do it again I'd buy:

- a decent TX (7 channel or more)
- a sim
- a mCPX BL when I could afford it

My BL has 600+ flights on it, well over 60 crashes, and still flies beautifully. It's got tons of power and is tough as nails.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I haven't flown a nano myself, but I've heard that they fly well, are cheap, and hold up really well in crashes. I think that would be a good choice. The only real complaint that I've heard about the nano is that the motors wear out if you fly A LOT.

I do have an mCPX V2 and, while micros really aren't my thing, I'll say that they are great for learning. Try not to get sucked into the whole micro upgrade thing, just appreciate it for what it is.
j bomb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in