Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Changes in Chart Numbers with Graph Smoothing

Just brining it up because I have never noticed this until now and have been flying Castle for years as a big fan...and still am.

I usually view my Castle logs with the graph smoothing on "High".
This makes a nice chart to look at.
What I just noticed was this has an effect on the "numbers" displayed at the bottom of the chart concerning system performance.

For instance with Graph Smoothing set to "Low or High" the "Maximum Amp" number at the bottom of the chart shows 40 amps.

With the Graph Smoothing set to "Disabled" the "Maximum Amp" number jumps to 77 amps.
That's a difference from one setting in graph smoothing to the other of 37 amps!

I assume that the numbers shown with the graph smoothing disabled are the accurate numbers?
Most of the other numbers change as well.

I don't mind this fact, I just want to be looking at "reality" and not "pretty" when reviewing the numbers, especially when the difference in total amp draw is so different.

I thought smoothing the chart line did just that, smooth the line. I didn't know it would affect the chart numbers as well.

Anyone shed some light on this.
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, the smoothing can really change the numbers. Its better the higher the frequency that you sample though since you have more data points..

I use the logging as a "black box" with full 10hz sampling and the ESC set to clear itself with every power up. I only get about 6 min worth of recording, so the only log is always the current flight which is the only important one if the heli goes down and I need to know why without missing something due to data sampling gaps.

Smoothing off to high is only about a 2A change on my logs
Old 11-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Turning off the data smoothing and turning up the sample rate in the esc can also help with governor tuning. You can get a better feel for how well it can maintain headspeed under load, how quickly it recovers, and how much it overshoots on recovery from bogs and overspeeds.

Fauropitotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Yes, the smoothing can really change the numbers. Its better the higher the frequency that you sample though since you have more data points..

I use the logging as a "black box" with full 10hz sampling and the ESC set to clear itself with every power up. I only get about 6 min worth of recording, so the only log is always the current flight which is the only important one if the heli goes down and I need to know why without missing something due to data sampling gaps.

Smoothing off to high is only about a 2A change on my logs

Good to know!
I can see a change of 2A with graph smoothing but I see 37A which really caught my attention.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default after more testing....

Just to add info to my previous posts on this subject I find, after experimenting, that with a steady state hover, the graph numbers do not change from having the graph smoothing "disabled "or on "maximum".

Only the big amp spikes are affected in smoothing the graph and the recorded numbers at the bottom of the graph reflect the smoothing of the plot.
So no big deal, I'll just leave the graph on "disabled" so my viewed numbers continue to be accurate.

Rock on!
Old 01-15-2016, 05:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Direct from Castle.

To view the most accurate performance numbers in the data log "smoothing" should be set to "disabled" and sample rate should be set to 10Hz.

Smoothing the plotted line degrades accuracy of your log.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in