Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > HeliDirect

HeliDirect HeliDirect HDX300, 450, 500, 550, 600 Factory Sponsored Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is this a good set up for HC-500?

Just wanted to know what you guys thought about this set up. Considering buying this heli and I know NOTHING about this brand HC-500 and just wanted your input if this was a good set up or not.

HC-500
ace 77amp esc
trex 500 motor
Hitec HS82 MG servos
Align GP 780 gryo
Align DS520 tail servo
AR6200 rx

I do what i call mild 3D lots of continuous back and front flips, tic tocs, inverted hovers. long punch outs. (upright and inverted) want a machine that will hold up to it and more.

It is someones on here I don't want to say who and if your reading this, I trust you just wanted another input everyone i work with don't know about anything other then trex there trex lovers I never been that big of a trex fan myself.

Thanks

Last edited by Epoweredrc; 12-30-2011 at 09:11 AM..
Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, the HC in the HC500 is for Henry Caldwell.....look him up.. Grand Dad of 3D.. he worked closely with Charley Stevens.. a great heli designer who has designed other great heli's. I believe he designed the Outrage 550, and now has his own heli company called AleeS RC.. ( look for his own threads!!! )
So, with Charley and Henry collaborating on this design, it was built for some serious 3D. Theres a few videos of Henry flying the bejeesus out of it.
It can be set up to some very good pitch angles, has an adjustable head for normal flight, ( which will do great 3D ) or a more aggressive set up for killer ( fast, almost too fast 3D.) As you can tell.. I love mine....I have 2 500's, a Trex 500 and the HC500. The Trex is like the Corvette of my heli's..smooth, fast, comfy to fly, the HC500 is like the F1 of my heli's....fast, very responsive in cyclic, agile, has the potential to get really hairy if you let it...
But, as you already know... parts have been an issue at times. I, and others, seriously thought that the HC500 went obsolete at one point when HeliDirect couldnt tell us if parts were going to be coming back in for it.. but they did. Last time I spoke with anyone at Heli Direct, I was told.. that as long as the vendor ( Sonix ) keeps making the parts available, they will get them. I cant guarrentee you they will be still available years from now.. but right now, they are. As I had told you before.. I'm in the habit of buying parts when they are available, anytime I have some spare bucks. I love this heli...flys like a bat out of hell....so I want to keep it flying.
My set up...
HC500CF
Scorpion 1400Kv 3026V2
CC 100A ESC
CC 20A Pro BEC
Spartan DS760 Gyro
Hitec HS-5245MG Cyclics
Futaba 9257S tail
Turnigy 425mm CF blades.
KDBB tail blades.
Like I said...parts for this are found only in a few places.. (HeliDirect, and CNC heli as far as I know..) So you should consider this in your choice for a next heli. Basically, I love mine, and hope to keep it flying for quite awhile.

Oh.. about your set up.. honestly, I dont know much about the stuff your thinking of.. I'm not a fan of the 780gyro.. but others love it. The 500 motor will be fine, just remember to get the right pinion..I dont know that brand of ESC, but 77amps is fine.
Again, I'm not sure about those cyclic servos....I know ALOT of people use them.. just dont know anyone using them in this heli. Which servo you want to use on the tail?
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HC500, after a year and half on the shelf is alive again.I am just wondering with hole on the main shaft are you using?

Thanks

Chris
Old 12-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I fly the middle hole...some have flown the bottom hole. Try each, see if it will let you tighten the main shaft collar down AND have no play up and down. I use the middle hole, and made a very small bushing to go between the Main gear hub, and the bottom of the lower main bearing. Heli Direct has a tech who has two of these heli's, he never used a bushing.. didn't need to.. I did only to move the belt up alittle more on the autorotation gear, so the belt stays in the center, instead of riding lower. But Heli direct says its fine either way. Its not a necessity, but I wanted the belt perfectly centered.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

sorry its got a align DS520 tail servo.

this is what is in the heli the guys has right now. looking to buy just wanted peoples thoughts. Don't want to buy a $300 heli then have to change out $300 worth of electronics

Seems that http://helidirect.com/advanced_searc...=HC500&x=0&y=0 do have quite a few parts for it.
Looked up Henry C. WOW he can fly

Old 12-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I always flew with a 520 with the old GP750 and never had issue.Tail rock solid....the only problem that I faced with this kind of heli was stripping main gear.I also sent a PM to Henry Caldwell asking how this could happen and guess the answer??....
Old 12-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoio View Post
I always flew with a 520 with the old GP750 and never had issue.Tail rock solid....the only problem that I faced with this kind of heli was stripping main gear.I also sent a PM to Henry Caldwell asking how this could happen and guess the answer??....
Glad to read you liked that set up and what was it? to much power?
Is this heli able to do autorotations? the tail set up with belt looks different I am used to seeing two reg gears and a tail drive gear this one the belt hooks to above the main gear

Old 12-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I fly a Scorpion 1400kv motor with a 14T pinion. Havent stripped a gear yet..if you have the right mesh and a good ESC for start up.. there shouldnt be a problem. I'm still on my first main gear after a year.
Auto's.. yes.. any heli with a one way bearing can auto..
about the belt.. I fly only belt driven tail heli's. I'm not found of Torque tubes....
Old 12-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm flying my HC on a Hyperion HS 3026-1400 with a head speed around 3225 and have never had a problem with the main gear. I had my HC500 almost 2 years and its still my favorite heli to fly. The setup on the one your looking at seams to be fine. Just make sure you can setup a good soft start on that ESC and you'll be happy with that heli.
Danimal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
I'm flying my HC on a Hyperion HS 3026-1400 with a head speed around 3225 and have never had a problem with the main gear. I had my HC500 almost 2 years and its still my favorite heli to fly. The setup on the one your looking at seams to be fine. Just make sure you can setup a good soft start on that ESC and you'll be happy with that heli.
3225 On a 500 man! that got to be insane. Love to see a video. thats the HS i run on my blade 450 its stock out of the box.

Thanks guys for the input think I am going to get it hope he still has it when I get some funds up for it.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had mine for years, plus the 450. Both are really phenominal heli's! It would be a shame if parts died off.

I'm running a Scorpion -1400 and a 100A esc, fbl with mini-V. It rocks!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool, well looks like I might have missed out on this one was trying to sell something to get funds but the guy might have found a buyer. oh well guess income tax season get here I have the cash and maybe find a great deal on something

Old 12-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Toms is REALLY nice.. he's got, I think, a compass FBL head on his.. its a gorgeous bird!!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks!

It really is a dream to fly. Can't say enough praise about the head. The MiniV gives it a sophistocation in flight conrtrol that is unparalleled.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice looking machine.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

What kinda heAd are you running since its FBL?

Old 01-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If I remember right, Tom told me it was a Compass head.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomstoy2 View Post
Thanks!

It really is a dream to fly. Can't say enough praise about the head. The MiniV gives it a sophistocation in flight conrtrol that is unparalleled.

Nice Looking heli!
Which kind of LG are those?
I have the stock one, the white one, they give her an aggressive look but let's say that the bottom frame is almost touching the ground...I am not feeling comfortable with it.
I finish the rebuild few days back, I did maiden, I am using GY520 gyro.Happy with it..but.....wanna go FBL and thinking which kind of FBL head should I have.Your Compass looks awesome but I am looking something cheeper.RJX is almost un fundable...found one, Tarot, which does not look bad at all.
I have 2 MiniV and I am pushed to get one more for the HC500 but I have a BeastX and Total G on my drawer....no one gave me the same feeling of the Vbar....it confuse on this matter....

Chris
Old 01-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I fly Align 600 skids and pipes on both, my HC500 and my T500. Nice wide stance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in