Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Nitro Helicopters

700 Class Nitro Helicopters 700 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I need some opinions please.

Here is my issue. I have a trex 700e, an old 600e and a 500e. I haven't flown for a few years so all my batteries are shot. I also need a new charging system. So instead of dropping a bunch of cash on batteries I can get a trex 700 airframe and 91 motor for about 400$ canadian. Would anyone recommend using the electronics from my 700e and making a nitro? Then I don't have to worry about high powered charging system and tons of batteries. Also can you use 600 servos on a 700 or are they to small?
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
ktmdiesel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it's hard to recommend whether it's right for you.

If you do buy it, I'd make sure that the engine is clean inside and not worn to death (I've had a bad experienced with a used motor).

I love my nitro more than my electrics, maybe it's the novely, the flight times, or the presence, but I do not think I would own a nitro if it was my only heli because there are lots of PITA things that can go wrong on a regular basis, and crash costs can be higher if you ruin a muffler or lose throttle control with the throttle wide open.

There's a lot to learn about nitro setup assuming you haven't done it before, but once you figure it out it's not that complicated at all. If you're willing to spend time learning the extra setup, tuning, rebuilding, mess, etc. then go for it.

Fuel is not cheap either, at least not here in the states. The cheapest fuel I can find is $120 a case (shipped, Torco) and that's about 36 flights worth. I guess flight time wise that's nearly 70 electric flights.

All together, the cost difference between nitro and electric overall over time is not much different. Especially if you have engine problems, fry an engine, crash a muffler off, etc.

I would personally just find a decent, budget friendly charging system and some cheap packs. Zippy compacts are affordable and good. If you stick with your 700E then you really don't need a ton of batteries, just one set or so will do. Even cheap blue turnigies will fly for more than 70 flights and you can get one pair for the same cost as one case of Nitro.

However, if you fly somewhere that does not have power and you'd need to invest in a generator, then maybe the nitro IS worth looking into.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aw okay, maybe I'll just stick to the simple electrics. I was trying to convince myself to get a gasser. Kinda want one but if I go with a gas I'll have to worry about finding gas all the time, also to set it up vs. get radiocontronic charger and batteries would cost the same probably. Thanks a lot for the valuable input.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I may

I would give nitro a go. Reason being if it doesn't work out for you you can always convert back to electrics with the same electronics you have. I was in the similar situation as you last year debating between a Synergy E7se or a N7. Battery cost, generator, charging setup all added up to a considerable amount of money that I really didn't feel like spending just to fly a electric 700. I had everything I needed to convert over except motor, pipe, fuel, and accessories. The learning curve in the beginning is what turns most people off as it is very easy to burn-up engines if you dont understand all the little details. But alas it isn't really all that difficult.

There is a terrific video about engine set-up on you tube by Flying Fish RC which helped me immensely. Also watch the series by Tim Jones on tuning engines as it also has some great information too.

In hindsight I am glad I took the plunge as nothing really compares to flying nitro. The sound, softness in power transfer, smoothness of flight characteristics, agility are simply cool.
narcisstking is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I think I'm converting my 700 to a nitro, you guys are getting me all worked up and I want a real engine!!! Lol. Also getting a 600n. Do you know if my dfc head and shaft along with 3gx will swap right over to the nitro kit or is it different sizing???.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you guys think it's worth buying an older kit brand new that I can swap all the 700e parts over to? I'm getting the kit and motor for almost the price of the motor alone so I feel like I can't go wrong

Old 02-09-2017, 02:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just built up a older 3g 700n with 700x head, skids and a boat load of new parts and think it's worth the update. I still have a ways to go to get it all where I want it. The older electrics update nice as well.

Keep in mind with the nitro it works out to about $0.50 a minute in US dollars for fuel costs to fly it.

As for the electrics go get 1 set of batteries for each heli and a few of the cheaper chargers instead of the expensive charging case. Charging case will run $750, for about 1/2 that you can get quite a few of the 80w chargers going at the same time. A few of them will keep you going all day long with little to no wait time.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you have any pics heli lust?. I was thinking about keep my 700 electric and just getting a 600 nitro. I just feel like it would be easier and more convenient to just gas it up and go instead of dealing with charging batteries non stop. I'm pretty torn still on what to do..

Old 02-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a pic I took yesterday of 700n. I have done the same with a 250 se, and a 450 sev2.

I still have to do with my 500ESP and a new to me 600N I'm getting this week. I'm hoping with the 600n I can use the 700x or 550x skids and the 550x head.

Here's a link where you can see some of the helis.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...mUyWHlXWlNlVlE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170208_190825.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	693522  
Old 02-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will say this in regards to negatives involving nitro. Just make sure before making the plunge you can source out nitro heli fuel at a competitive price. Mail ordering this stuff gets insanely expensive due to hazmat fees. I am fortunate to have a heli store that carries CY Wildcat Nitro heli blend at $24.00 per gallon about 45 miles away.
narcisstking is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Heli lust. It looks great, gave me a little more inspiration for this build. Where did you get the leaning skids? --- speaking of fuel- I have a hobby store that usually has a couple hours away, what is a decent website or sites that offer fuel?? How many tanks can you get from a 1 gallon jug?

Old 02-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The skids are the 700x skids from the new align 700x, same for the main shaft, radius arms and head block. I kept the old 3g grips and swash for the time being and they work with the newer stuff with out mods. The skids bolt right up as well.

All my align helis have the new skids except the 500ESP it's just waiting for the new 500x parts to come out before it gets some attention. Hopefully the head will work too but it may not being the new 500x will swing 470mm blades.

As for fuel goes you get 6 - 8 tanks from a gallon. I usually just get mine from the LHS rather than deal with getting it shipped. I'm not real big on the larger helis to begin with for the time being so fuel costs are not a huge concern for me ATM.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh okay good to know thanks! Hopefully the 500 parts swap I'd like to update mine as well!

Last edited by ktmdiesel; 02-10-2017 at 02:33 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in