Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default OS 50 Hyper Bogging on stall turns

hey guys just wandering what i need to do to my engine to fix this problem, im running +11 -11 on the pitch, it says in the manual that the engine may be running lean,
sharpen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

what is your temp?
what fuel and oil % are you using?

what you described can be caused by rich or lean condition.
if temps are 240 or above lean
190 and below rich

cool power 30% should see a good amount of smoke.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you don't have a temp gun, put your finger on the backplate, if you can hold it there for more than 2 seconds you're probably ok but if it is too hot to touch, richen up.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

are you in stunt mode or Nornal mode when doing the stall turn?
Dwntyme is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 04:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Am I missing something here? Bogging on a stall turn?..how are you flying these..is it running out of steam in a steep climb or faltering to recover power on the way down? Or stumbling as you power off at the top?
Your curves?
pgkevet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 05:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

i am running linear curves all the way around and using wildcat 30%, the heli is just bogging a little when going into stall turn, if i decrease the amount of pitch it sounds better, but shouldn't i be able to pull through a stall turn at full positive pitch
Old 06-11-2009, 05:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do u bog on a stall turn
LONEWOLF2440 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

im just pulling up into a stall turn and the engine is losing power. i don't know, im a noob and i just don't think this is normal, the engine is probally in need of some fine tuning which im gonna do next time i take her out
Old 06-11-2009, 05:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

whats you main needle set at on your os50 hyper? mine was in between 1.5 and 1 turns if this helps you any. Im just asking because i think the heli is lacking power and just from common knowledge i would think that you would have to lean the needle valve out instead of richening it but heres the thing the heli is fine until i pull the heli straight up in the air.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

It depends on what you consider a bog. Nitros typically have less power than electrics and they're slower to adjust on throttle, so it's not unusual to get a slight drop in head speed when applying extreme collective or cyclic over an extended period. It's also more noticeable on a nitro because of the engine noise. It shouldn't be enough for you not to be able to complete the maneuver however.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bog on a stall turn??

I'm confused....

During the stall you are at zero pitch or maybe even1 or 2 degrees of negative depending on your style of stall turn.

If you were boggin at zero pitch and or 1 to 2 degrees of negative pitch you'd always bog when flying around.

If you are flying in normal mode then you would have no throttle during the stall turn, I think that would make sense but that's not a bog that's "Stalled Stall turn"

Trex 900 DFC Ultra Combo OS HZ 195 Hyper , Goblin 1200 84S Flybared
Scotty T is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty T View Post
Bog on a stall turn??

I'm confused....

During the stall you are at zero pitch or maybe even1 or 2 degrees of negative depending on your style of stall turn.

If you were boggin at zero pitch and or 1 to 2 degrees of negative pitch you'd always bog when flying around.

If you are flying in normal mode then you would have no throttle during the stall turn, I think that would make sense but that's not a bog that's "Stalled Stall turn"
The only thing I can figure is that he's trying to power into the climb using collective and cyclic instead of using forward speed and cyclic to get him there.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 06-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpen View Post
im just pulling up into a stall turn and the engine is losing power. i don't know, im a noob and i just don't think this is normal, the engine is probally in need of some fine tuning which im gonna do next time i take her out

Let's make sure we're all describing the same thing. Go to fast forward flight, pull up on elevator and let heli climb at your forward flight throttle (or a touch more) pulling heli up into an increasing angle while reducing collective (and throttle) until heli is vertically tail down and run out of momentum. ou do this with reducing collective so that heli is 'hanging' without moving forwards or backwards. Then at the point of hang (when you have run out of upward momentum and before gravity starts you on the way down) you do a half turn (or more) and come down nose down.. still with virtually zero pitch and slowly add pitch and level heli out during that descent and go back to forward flight.

If you;re on a governor then you won't appreciate any throttle change but as the disc unloads then governor is reducing it for you.. in fact on the way down you can get an overspeed.

It's a low stress, low pitch manouever and an engine 'can;t' bog on you... it can get to a state where either the throttle cuts too low and then falters when picking up or it can get to the point where you get stumbling from the low needle being too rich or lean.

If you want a test of engine power then just get into a hover and blast verticaly on full power/collective and see what happens.. and also observe what happens at the top of that climb when you back off. (It's one way to help tune gasser engines)

Oh yeah... and whatever you try make sure you got plenty height!.. And don't forget to pull up coming out of the stall turn.. local guy got so hypnotised he watched it descend vertically..ALL THE WAY!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgkevet View Post
Oh yeah... and whatever you try make sure you got plenty height!.. And don't forget to pull up coming out of the stall turn.. local guy got so hypnotised he watched it descend vertically..ALL THE WAY!
Ouch! That had to hurt (the pocketbook). I'm usually guilty of pulling out of the freefall too early, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 06-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That had to hurt (the pocketbook).
It was a 700n too..I think what hurt more was me laughing my head off... but he's had cause for revenge laughter since....
Old 06-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not to stray off topic too much, but I am having this issue when flying my first nitro 600N.

This is me... I am getting hypnotized watching the motor put out smoke and listening to it I almost lose my head and can't fly the thing.
srhadden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpen View Post
i am running linear curves all the way around and using wildcat 30%, the heli is just bogging a little when going into stall turn, if i decrease the amount of pitch it sounds better, but shouldn't i be able to pull through a stall turn at full positive pitch
even on your throttle curves??? if thats the case, no wonder you are bogging it, it may not really be bogging, but you would certainly be lowering your headspeed enough to struggle through the stall turn. you should have a v-curve set up in idle 1 and should be doing stall turns in this mode.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

im running a ar7100r govenor and i have the travel adjust set at 80 and then +10 on idle 2, i have a flat throttle curve on idle 1 and 2 at 100 all the way across. im not really use to the heli yet and what it does sound like, so its probally just me not being use to the heli. when i do pull up into a stall turn im at 0 pitch and i let the heli climb and the engine just changes sounds like its cutting out or something, like its loses alot of power, im gonna go out 2moro and do some more tuning and get to the bottom of it. I will figure it out and thnx for the help guys and bum i knew i could count on you to chime in
Old 06-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

What clunk line and clunk are you running? I had cut-out problems with the clunk bouncing out of the fuel when using the stock clunk and Hayes neoprene line. I switched to an OS Bubbleless clunk and solved the problem. I wouldn't think a vertical climb during a stall turn would cause that, but it's worth at least checking the clunk line anyway.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 06-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

i had a similar problem with my trex. i was only 3/4 out on the main needle and the engine was still running cool. when i put full collective in and pulled back to climb for a stall turn the engine would lose power slightly! i tried leaning it which made it worse! so then i richened it 2 clicks which was a bit better, but not perfect..

today though i upped my headspeed from 2000 rpm to 2100 rpm and the engine doesnt bog at all now!!

what headspeed are you running?
gavojones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in