Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 7200bx vs icon/brain

Hi guys. I know there are a lot of you who like the 7200bx and I think I'm one of you after reading the online instructions. It seems very straight forward and easy.

I am not a 3d flyer, just big air and sport. I am not interested in safe or any recovery features. I just want something that will help me fly in a normal, predictable manner. I would rather not have to connect to a computer, either, so I'm liking the 7200bx for those reasons.

I am in the process of getting the electronics for an x3 build. This will be my first real build, so please tell me if I'm thinking right. If there are reasons that I should look at the icon rather than the 7200bx, please tell me why.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
pco curt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have both so I can not do a comparison. But I only fly beastx and although there are better choices out there for pros, I have not been able to out fly a beastx yet!
frankiexp2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks frankie.
Ya, the more I read about the 7200, the more I think it will suit an old fart like me. I haven't flown either system, hence the q's.

I guess the 7200 does not have some of the bells and whistles of the newer fbl's, but that is what is drawing me toward it. As long as it is reliable, I like what I'm hearing/reading.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 7200, and will soon be using a Brain/Ikon. The 7200 lacks rescue and bailout, but it has no issues in flight. Just look at manual, click through menus to adjust the parameters and it works well. I set gain on a pot.
thepiper92 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Piper. That's what I'm wanting to hear. (I think!!).

As long as it does what it's designed to do, I think I will be happy with it.
I guess lots of guys are going for the more modern units for the bailout features, but for me, I'd rather not get into that stuff, unless they fly way better than the 7200.

I shied away from this receiver for a long time, but maybe I'm making a good decision to look into it again.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had all AR7200bx units and then set up a Goblin 380 with an ikon unit now i fly all ikon's love it to bits.... easy to set up and i find it is rock solid preformance....yes AR7200bx fly ok but i think you can't compare like and apple to an orange....my 2 cents!
Old 12-16-2015, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Supertuna, are you saying that the flight characteristics are better with Icon? Is it faster or maybe more stable than the 7200? Or is it that you can't get the 7200 "dialed right in"?

I don't mind spending a little more on an Icon if need be. It's just that I'm a slow, methodical flier and I'm really liking the simplicity, and would rather not hook up to a computer unless it's necessary.

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had the AR7200BX also, but the iKon won me over big time. Setting up the iKon is super simple and flies almost perfect with just the wizard set up. You can tune at the field with a bluetooth module and a cheap android tablet. Its something else to buy, but seemed worth the investment to me.
One really huge plus is the governor!
jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks jbobb.
Ah, now that brings up the esc. I'm planning on running a Talon 35. I have read that the bec and the gov are quite good on it?? Would it be sufficient for my needs? Remember, I'm not gonna be jerking this thing all over the place. hehe. Here's what I'm planning to put in the x3...

Talon 35 esc
Align 460mx 1800 (got it)
KST 215's cyclic
KST515 tail (got it)
7200bx or Icon fbl

Great stuff, guys... thanks... keep it comin'
Old 12-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've read good things about the Talon as well. It will serve your needs, I'm sure. Another option to consider is the Hobbywing Platinum 50A. It's an awesome esc, and, it has a "rpm out" lead that can be used if you were to use the iKon governor in the future. No sensor needed! Just a simple adaptor cable.
It has a very robust bec as well. I use it on my X3's
jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 07:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default AR7200BX vs BRAIN/IKON

Hy,

I bought a T-Rex 500L one year ago with AR7200BX.
I flew about 220-230 start with AR7200BX.
Two weeks ago I replaced my BeastX to BRAIN.
Advantages:
First thing, I can use the FBL GOV (before I'm used to HobbyWing GOV that very good to), second I'm secured by Self level. I know on a real situations mostly don't enough time to use it, but I feel safe.
Third thing, I feel more precise my heli. It's smoother too. The feeling is so different, I much more like it. So 1:0 to BRAIN.

I have another BRAIN on my Goblin 500 strech, and I like very much too.

The setup is very easy with both FBL. But If you have BeastX, don't need a PC.
I'm using BT modul on the BRAIN, so I can change my setup on the field too.

BRAIN is smarter than BeastX. There's a lot of parameters, that I missed on BeastX.
HeadHunter86 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in