Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2016, 05:07 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
just desoldered an ec5 for the first time ever. had then for over 4 years!!!

i have tons of batteries and pigtails what should i get to replace!!!!!?????

thanks in advance!!!!!!!!
I switched from EC5 to XT150:

I like them better than the PRC6 / HXT6 because the sides of the plugs are color coded which makes plugging two batteries into each other much less likely. They can also be used as separate shrouded bullets or linked together using a dovetail joint on the side of the housing. HK now sells these in single sets for the ESC and battery sides as well as a pack of 10 pairs for $12.

Someone needs to make a doodad to hold the shrouds together though, the dovetail joint can come apart when left by itself. Looking at the design and shape of the shrouds it should be possible to make a snap or screw together thing that would provide a bigger grip and lock the two housings together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Montee View Post
Early this year I switched from EC5 to PRC6.
The EC5's served me without issue for years.
However switching to the the single bullet style PRC6 enabled me to remove the 12s harness and an additional 10" of wiring from the input side of my ESC.
Dropped some weight, dropped some resistance, and cleaned up the wiring.
http://www.progressiverc.com/prc6-bu...onnectors.html
The "HXT6" that HK carries are the exact same thing as PRC6 except you pay $8 for 10 pairs instead of $10 for 2 pairs.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2016, 01:44 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I stopped using EC5 about 2 years ago. Switched to simple bullet connectors. No plastic housing and therefore very easy to setup.
If I would use anything with plastic housing i most likely would go with 6 mm connectors.
Main reason for me was that some EC5 for 750+ size helis simply got a bit to hot. So I stopped using 5 mm connectors.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

for less than a 100 amps I switched over to xt60's on a few things and really really like them over ec3/5's.. way to easy to solder when soldered sideways (my buddy was complaining how hard to solder.. I said did you turn them sideways to solder....lol)... switching everything under 100amps to them...

Anything else.... XT150's all the way!
Gaui x7 14s yge320 072515 (2 min 5 sec)
fastblade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

P.s. This is the wiring diagram advantage of the XT150's... but yes you have to be aware of what you are plugging ... but not a big deal so far...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xt150 diagram.jpg
Views:	879
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	672850  
Gaui x7 14s yge320 072515 (2 min 5 sec)
fastblade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

I, too, got rid of my EC5s this year. The cases keep splitting on me. I went to RCProPlus D6s on everything, and love em.
RCHN #633
Grimmy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 12:08 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
I, too, got rid of my EC5s this year. The cases keep splitting on me. I went to RCProPlus D6s on everything, and love em.
Actually splitting? What life of abuse are these things living? Then again, I was a sailor and we could break an anvil, so I guess anything's possible.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I switched to these connectors a few months ago from EC5 as well. Really like them! I do wish they were colored for the - + but it's not a big deal.
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike680 View Post
Actually splitting? What life of abuse are these things living? Then again, I was a sailor and we could break an anvil, so I guess anything's possible.
I had several that were starting to come apart where the two halves would meet in the molding of the plastic, therefore it wasn't holding the pins very well and would actually pop out when I plugged a battery in. I had about 40 flights on those packs when it started to happen. I also didn't care for the style of plug, as they would start to get weak and wouldn't hold very well.
RCHN #633
Grimmy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

There had to be something wrong with the install as I have never heard of that before. Been using EC-5s for years and never had that happen. Did you get solder on the ring joint used to hold it in place when you snap the connector in? Did you install the connectors when they were hot?
Old 09-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastblade View Post
P.s. This is the wiring diagram advantage of the XT150's... but yes you have to be aware of what you are plugging ... but not a big deal so far...

They have blue housings as well as the red and black btw.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #51 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
They have blue housings as well as the red and black btw.
Yep. I always use the blue ones for the series connection. That way, I'm always plugging like colors together. I have to be more careful when I use the one of the same packs on my DT520, but I know that red and black still will never be plugged together: only black and blue or red and blue.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 06:09 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on using blue for the series connection.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok I get if ppl want to change from EC5 to SupraX connectors as as I see it its much better to solder on the supraX connectors
but what are the benefits from EC5 to XT150 , now I'm thinking on the soldering part
Old 09-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragge1 View Post
ok I get if ppl want to change from EC5 to SupraX connectors as as I see it its much better to solder on the supraX connectors
but what are the benefits from EC5 to XT150 , now I'm thinking on the soldering part
Castle connectors are the best, but expensive.

XT150's are easier to solder with large gauge wire and they are inexpensive. And out of the "hermaphrodite" connectors (PRC6/HXT6 XT150 and SupraX) they are the only ones that are color coded on each side which makes it less likely that you'll accidentally plug two batteries together (you'd have to plug red into black). They can also be used as either a connector or as single shrouded bullets. You can even hook three of them up together into a motor connector.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
Yup, the E-flite ones are pricey but well worth it.

I'm currently using a mix of E-flite and Hobbyking, but plan on changing them all to E-flights this winter.
I totally agree with this observation. The RJX EC5's are junk and the Eflite are great, it isn't a wonder that someone would have a problem with the cheap ones, they are almost impossible to solder and the Eflite's are easy.
sseppala is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I had several that were starting to come apart where the two halves would meet in the molding of the plastic, therefore it wasn't holding the pins very well and would actually pop out when I plugged a battery in. I had about 40 flights on those packs when it started to happen. I also didn't care for the style of plug, as they would start to get weak and wouldn't hold very well.
My guess is that this happened on the cheap ones not on the Eflite's, I have had this happen to me with RJX connectors, the Eflites work great in my experience.
sseppala is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default RC Proplus connectors

same question , maybe quicker answer here on the RC Proplus connectors

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=46
Old 09-25-2016, 03:00 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Last winter I changed all my connectors from the EC5 Series over to the Supra series connectors....having second thoughts now.

The attached photos are from a recent mishap on my series cable, the connection going from the batts to the ESC. Fortunately when the joint desoldered I was able to auto the Trex 700 in without damage.

I had read somewhere before that this type of "spring loaded" connector was not as conductive as we might think. As it turns out the "theory" is correct.

They are great for a rock solid connection as far as not coming apart during flight but as the photos reveal the only true point of contact is at the very end of the connection. This minimal contact point reduces the flow of electricity to a small area , thus increasing the amps (and heat) if I understand the principle of moving electrons correctly.

I've had over 300 flights on the series cable so this desoldered joint may have been weakening over time. I went through all my connectors looking for similar "Charring" on the end but did not find another case of this taking place. It may have been a fluke, but it did happen.

At the present I'm still flying with the Supra's but looking into swapping everything out again this coming winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Supra 1.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	673143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Supra 2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	673144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Supra 3.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	673145  
Old 09-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike680 View Post
Source?
I was wondering the same thing lol. To say something is a fact out of your personal experience is funny.
Volumax is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2016, 04:12 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumax View Post
I was wondering the same thing lol. To say something is a fact out of your personal experience is funny.
Exactly. One person's experience/opinion ≠ fact.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in