Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Foamies and Park Flyers

Foamies and Park Flyers 3D Foamies and Park Flyers are an EXCELLENT way to improve your reflexes and stick finesse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Looking at getting my first EDF foam jet 70mm:

Hi All,

I’ve been flying helis and planes for quite some time but recently found myself looking at some real fast flying EDF foam jets. I’m looking for something the is relatively cheap to purchase as a fists jet and then later I might consider something larger. The first jet that caught my attention was the Sebart Mig 29, but after I did some reading noticed that this is a better suited 3D bird and not quite what I’m looking for as I want something fast. Now I’m considering a Stinger 64 F http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17943__Stinger_64_EDF_Sport_Jet_700mm_Red_EPO_AR F_.html or a Habu 2 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1631887 . I feel that the Habu might not be as fast as the Stinger because of the added weight having landing gear and extra flaps but the Habu just looks so good.

The third plane I’m considering is as Dynam Meteor, http://www.generalhobby.com/dynam-meteor-brushless-70mm-airplane-p-241.html

Any other suggestions?

Thanks all!
Tristin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I realized that you've ruled out the SebArt Mig29 but I'm surprised that you think it's cheap. I have one and it's the most expensive jet I own. As for it being a better 3D plane, this only applies if you are good at flying it 3D. If you adjust the CG buy moving the battery so it's not so tail heavy, it flies pretty nicely at part throttle.
I've also had the F/A-18 90mm, a Eurofighter 90mm and I'm currently nearly done a 90mm composite BD-5. "Cheap" foamie EDFs would be my HobbyKing Durafly Vampire. It flies nicely but the front gear isn't the best design. I have the Durafly Sea Venom on the way. It too, is quite "cheap". Both the Vamp and the Sea Venom are 70mm EDFs.
If this is your first EDF foamie, as nice as the Habu 2 is to you, it is quite fast and might not be the best EDF to start with. That first crash could be quite expensive.
Have you looked at the twin fan A-10 Warthog? This one can be had with "crashproofing" installed or you could install it yourself to save a few bucks. I've owned a couple myself without the crashproofing and they fly well, too. Dynam and Durafly make some very nice "cheap" EDFs. They're not lightning fast but maybe your first EDF shouldn't be.
http://www.killerplanes.com/product/...p-or-rtf-24ghz
xviper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi Xviper, I don’t think the Sebart Mig 29 is cheap, Just thought it to be more 3D and therefore not really rigged for high speed flying, but I’m not sure. I contacted my LHS and they felt that the Sabart Mig 29 is a very good kit and can fly as fast at the Habu 2. They also felt that the Sebart would be very fun to fly, what’s your opinion?

Thanks for the feed back!
Tristin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's a guy at my flying field who has a Habu 2. I'd say it's marginally faster than my Mig 29 in level flight but that's due to the Mig being a less streamlined shape. The Mig does have a thrust to weight advantage over the H2. That's how it can hover.
I like both but the Mig has more "stage presence" than the H2 when in the air. Also note that the Mig is trickier to land on its skids. No matter how far forward you place the battery, it's still going to be tail heavy. This makes it tend to land tail first, then slam down onto its chest. If not done just right, it's easy to crack some belly parts. It is a nicely made plane but know that it's still just a Freewing and some examples have shown some deficiencies. Mine has weak skids but that's because I land it a bit hard. Yes, it's a fun plane to fly.
Although the Vampire is one of the easier EDFs to fly and also has great "presence" in the air, my all time favorite was the Freewing (or eRC) F/A-18 90mm. Unfortunately, due to a poorly glued in wing, I lost it in a high G maneuver.
xviper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in