Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters

Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile What's Cooking?

Hi guys and gals. Just wondering what you may be having on the boil, so to speak?
Recently I changed my FBL from BD to Spirit.
I bought a set of helix tri blades to try on the Triabolo.
I have an eye on the upcoming Hobbywing 160 ESC. Thinking of replacing the Kosmiks with this. I need a way of monitoring the capacity consumption as I have come to rely on this. For this I have ordered the IISI system from Minicopter. This way I keep my old radio I plan to link the hobbywing with the Spirit once GOV function is enabled in a firmware upgrade. If this works I’ll sell off the Kosmiks.
I also plan to try the 90 Duro dampers I got from MC over a month ago but not had a chance to do it yet.
Lots to do over the winter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Graupner makes a nice 160A ESC as well for lots of $s less, has telemetry, just don't know if it will work with your setup.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Interesting, but I would not be able to get telemetry on my Futaba 12FG, when I said old I meant old
The IISI system will feed all info back to a "cockpit" which I will fit to my radio via a special bracket made for the radio and receive telemetry.
Not as elegant as an all in one system, but suits me, so far. Selling off my 3 Kosmiks will more than cover the cost of this with lots of $$ left over to fund this sexy looking radio for the future as a possible replacement, when it's released

http://www.frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=144
Old 10-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsodhi View Post
Interesting, but I would not be able to get telemetry on my Futaba 12FG, when I said old I meant old
The IISI system will feed all info back to a "cockpit" which I will fit to my radio via a special bracket made for the radio and receive telemetry.
Not as elegant as an all in one system, but suits me, so far. Selling off my 3 Kosmiks will more than cover the cost of this with lots of $$ left over to fund this sexy looking radio for the future as a possible replacement, when it's released

http://www.frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=144
that radio looks a lot like the jeti ds-16
Old 10-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Someone asked me to borrow my 8FG the other day, and I hadn't pulled it out in a long time. I have been using the DS-16. Mind you when I got the 8FG I thought it was awesome. It felt like such an inferior toy controller. So my advice is if it is possible compare the radios you are looking at physically in person. It is easy to pick up a DX-18 and go, wow that is kinda nice, when there is no Jeti sitting next to it.

I'm not trying to sell you on a Jeti, but if you get to the opportunity to check one out look close and compare it to other radios. They are really cheap for the quality you get. Kinda like your Logo compared to the Diabolo. They are both nice, serve a purpose, but they aren't even in the same league.
BustedRaptor77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess it does look a bit like the DS16, and the upcoming HW160 looks like a kosmik.
See a pattern here?
I think I am about to go through a bit of a "mid life crisis"
I am not happy with how K dealt with my crashed kosmik. They offered me a 25% discount but never followed up on it despite chasing it up. Ok I don't want to bash, just move on. I am starting to think why spend the extra if I am not going to get the service. I want to fly hard and not worry about electronics in a crash. I am not a speed flyer so I feel I have more choices than speed flyers, I would stay with Kosmik or go to YGE 320 if I was a speed flyer.

I appreciate quality and do not mind spending to get quality.My kits will be quality kits, I bought the logo to try and have made my feelings clear, but the electronics, well, I am starting to reevaluate this. I put a yep esc in my Logo 550 and it works brilliantly. I bought it as a stop gap to get a helijive pro, but won't be getting one of those now. I recall when I put a HW 120 pro in the Diabolo (after sending in my helivive to K for something) and Goved it through my VBar for 3 months while I waited, it was awsome.

So I want to see if there is life after kontronik These are just my personal feelings.

BR77 I appreciate your comments and have taken note, thanks. I have seen and held a Jeti and it is a quality piece of kit. Anyone should be proud to own one.

Last edited by smsodhi; 10-24-2014 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: altered first comment to BR77
smsodhi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What's brewing here

My heli projects right now are:

On the Triabolo, honestly nothing, just fly it when I get a chance :-o

I have ordered some bright fluorescent orange tape and some reflective tape to try to strategically place some of this stuff for better visibility in low light. I'm hoping that will do the job but we'll see how it goes.

I am buying 2nd hand a Helix gasser as I sold my Predator airframe a while back and always wanted something practical like the Helibug or the Helix.

I decided to retire the Blitz Avro from active duty as I only want to have two nitro helis in service and those are the Knight 3D and the Robbe Dyna-X. So I am selling a spare Avro airframe and the other one will be stripped of the electrics and turned into something of an 'objet de art' at some point.

I need to finish a project I started ages ago converting a Robbe Milli 2 to electric and FBL, it's really close to being able to finish it now I just have to make time for it and stop being lazy.

Also in the 'started and unfinished' category is a Robbe Futura SE being fitted with a Laser fourstroke engine and a custom framed Hirobo SDX electric and FBL conversion.

At some point I suppose I really should start moving over all my models to the DX7S TX I bought just over a year ago as I am flying everything on an original version DX7 and although it has always worked great I dread the thought of losing all the settings if anything went wrong with it.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

I have my Triabolo 800 kit to build next. Have an MSH Protos Max on order and need to rebuild my Quest Impaction E12 and fit a full fuze and FBL head. Oh and need to replace the stripped main gear on my 24S Joker3 ..... Have to commandeer the dining room table
Old 10-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, looks like you are going to be busy over the winter.
Must admit I am unfamiliar with the models you mention but it all sounds very interesting.

Have fun..
Old 10-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got nothing cooking.....I'd be happy to just fly. Work's been nutty.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile What's Cooking

Sausages
plankdriver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am and would like to trade my Scorpion 4535-550 LE for a Pyro 750 or maybe an Xnova, something I can run on 12S with my jive.
Banshee # 45 700 LE and 850
jcflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2014, 05:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriell View Post
I have my Triabolo 800 kit to build next. Have an MSH Protos Max on order and need to rebuild my Quest Impaction E12 and fit a full fuze and FBL head. Oh and need to replace the stripped main gear on my 24S Joker3 ..... Have to commandeer the dining room table

So what motor is in the Joker? The Quest is very classy, virtually unknown over here after the Kyosho era.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

crashed the triabolo last weekend. i´m gonna rebuild as diabolo, so the crash costs are ok with under 10€. got all DI parts in a drawer.
ordered the 6mm shaft upgrade kit wih the spares.

some details, and it´s ready again.
just tested the new kitchen scale, 5,7kg

i´m not gonna replace the canopy. just a little crack

and waiting for the 550 is THE topic at the moment.
i got all rc-stuff ready, i only need the kit.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillian View Post
So what motor is in the Joker? The Quest is very classy, virtually unknown over here after the Kyosho era.
A custom wound Scorpion 4530 300kV
Old 10-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

I'm about to maiden my semi-rebuilt Diabolo 700. I am a bit concerned about the blades though. I have SpinBlade blacks with the sparkly foil. Anybody else using these on their Diabolo? I noticed some marks on one of the teeth of the first stage gear. I may have set the gear a bit looser than I should have and knicked a tooth on engagement. Can anyone describe the first stage backlash in comparison to the second stage. I tried to match .3mm but I suspect too unmeasurable. I'm thinking to tighten it up to match. I added some of the nanotech gear grease to help keep things smooth and cooler as my motor is no slouch
Raptorapture is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm trying to decide between getting a tri and a JR Forza 700... hmmm... thoughts? The Forza would certainly be something different to play with, and at half the cost, but the tri is still so alluring to me!
Old 10-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

I'd go with the Tri. I'm guessing a whole different feel. It's next on my list.
Raptorapture is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been researching options for my Diabolo rebuild - given the number of parts I need I've been thinking of either converting to an 800+ or a Triabolo. The 800+ conversion will costs pretty much the same as getting it back to flying as a 700. The Triabolo is an extra conversion cost on top of that. So I've got to decide if three a blade 700 will be more appealing than a 2 blade 800 in my now reduced fleet (only have a 600 and 700 left, both electric).

I also need to pull the Kosmik and send for testing (the terminals on the power side got bent in the crash). The final decision point is motor and gearing - I have the P800-48 Comp and want to run on 14S, so hoping that setup will work on the 800+ and Triabolo without having the throttle % too low.
thefrog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 12:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

what's cooking?

Well I bought a crashed D700 and slowwly working on rebuilding it , probably not the smartest idea considering the price of parts..... BUT it does have some nice custom parts 10mm feathering shaft, S grips, metal sec. gear and 6mm tail so should be a nice machine when all done if I don't run out of $$$ LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in