Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > HeliDirect

HeliDirect HeliDirect HDX300, 450, 500, 550, 600 Factory Sponsored Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 06:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default HDX HC500 washout block problem

I picked up a used HC500 and have been through it top to bottom, I have a problem I can't seem to correct without sacrificing a lot of pitch range.
When the system is powered off you can manually lower the swash plate to the point that the washout block will disengage from the alignment pins. This does not happen through the normal range of travel with the system powered on and is not really a problem unless you don't pay attention when powering up and the block binds against the pins.
I'm using Ino-Lab 251 servo's and the links are in the farthest holes out on the supplied servo arms. I've turnrd down the swash to 50% (DX7radio) and currently have a collective pitch range of +/-14deg and -0- at center stick. I have not checked my cyclic pitch yet. The main shaft is fastened to the gear with the bottom hole and the washout block just barely makes contact with the headblock without any binding.
No manual came with the heli and I can't locate one online so this seemed like a good place to ask.
Is there something I'm missing on this bird to prevent this or any way to stop it from happening?
Thanks, Chris
ACKopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

If it's coming off the pins then you have to adjust the travel of your swash, or set it so it's "center position" is higher. About all I can add..
B2TheEYo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I don't think that will work. My washout block already "kisses" the head block. If I were to raise the swash that would lead to binding problems at full pos collective and it would throw off my +/- pitch balance as well. At least when I sit here and study it that is what seems most likely to happen.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go to the Heli Direct websight and got to the Helicopter Kits click it, then go to HDX ,click it ,then got to the HC500(either kit). There is a link to download the manual. I have then printed it out for reference. I do not have the same issues with mine. Maybe the mainshaft gear is in the incorrect hole to begin with. Why do you want to run so much pitch anyways? +- 15 degrees is huge and will definetley take a toll on your power system. +-12 should be more than enough. Maybe you should look into the Rotoworks servo arms too. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check your linkage lengths too.....they are in the manual....
Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had an isue with the swash bottoming out on the shaft collar. I am using INO-Lab 251MG servos and have the balls on the middle holes of the supplied arms. I had to play with the swash mix to get the swash to move without binding or falling off the washout pins.

This is what I have mine set to that corrected it and might be able to help you:

Servo to swash I ended up using the lengths in the manual (minus or plus some turns on the links to level the swash with a swash levelling tool) and had to adjust the pitch curve and the swash mix in the radio to get the pitch range I wanted.

Using a Futaba 7C my swash mix is:

AIL - 40%
ELE + 50%
PIT + 36%

Normal Pitch curve is:
P5 85%
P4 75%
P3 50%
P2 47.5%
P1 45%

This gives me a range of -2 to +10, with a lot of space between the washout block and bottom of the head at full stick collective, and allows the bottom of the swash to clear the frame and collar at zero collective. I have not programmed Idle up yet, as I am still just hovering and working on orientation.

Link lengths of servo to swash links(measured length of rod exposed between links for all measurements):
Left side front servo : 10mm
Right side front servo: 27.14mm
Elevator Servo: 15.03mm

Links in the head are set to the manual specs, with the the grip to upper mixing arm length being 5.19mm to adjust to zero pitch at midstick.

Will take some tweaking to get the pitch range you want, but should be a good starting point. Hope that helps!!

Related Posts:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=135602

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=142008
AMA #895632
Axe Ez, Axe CP, Blade MCX, HDX 450SEv3, HK-450, HC-500
dwgwinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 06:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpheliman View Post
Go to the Heli Direct websight and got to the Helicopter Kits click it, then go to HDX ,click it ,then got to the HC500(either kit). There is a link to download the manual. I have then printed it out for reference. I do not have the same issues with mine. Maybe the mainshaft gear is in the incorrect hole to begin with. Why do you want to run so much pitch anyways? +- 15 degrees is huge and will definetley take a toll on your power system. +-12 should be more than enough. Maybe you should look into the Rotoworks servo arms too. Good luck.

Thanks for the info on the manual. It will help me out a great deal I'm sure. As for the pitch range, It actually had more when I got it and I have toned it down some already, once I get the manual downloaded I'll probably redo the head and take out even more.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

DW, I just checked the servo to swash link dimensions and I'm a little long. Even still both of my mixing arms are level at -0- stick and the head has equal pitch in both directions.
This seems to indicate I need to lower the mainshaft, readjust the servo to swash links and probably leave the rest alone.

Thanks for the related links, I'm off to read them now.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK, there is a reference to the block falling off the pins if the head is not correct. This is not my issue. When the system is energized I get full range of +/-14deg and the block stays engaged in the pins. My issue is when the system is not energized the servo arms can fall way down and then the block disengages from the pins.
After looking things over again it looks like I would have to go all the way up to the top hole in the main shaft and I'm afraid this will lead to some binding issues at full neg pitch.

I think I'll just make up some sort of a removable stopper to hold up the swash plate with a little red streamer that reads "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in