Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default silicone grease?

the LHS didnt have any silicone grease so i went to auto parts store and they didnt have any either. They did have white lithium grease. i got some...will it be ok to use to lube the metal to metal parts and the fuel tube dampners?
rollinolin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 12:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use this on all my helis. Works great. http://nexgenhobby.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=3610

Dogs come when called. Cats take a message and get back to you later.
Cailid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Pure silicone grease can be had from any ace hardware. Just go to the plumbing section and ask for it. Comes in a small jar or tube. waterproof and good to 450 degrees. works good for feathering shaft, orings, dampeners, metal to metal, use sparingly.

Otherwise I use Tri-Flow pure sinthetic grease
Jesus is Lord Happy Flying
AzChopp3r is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default not exactly a professional......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinolin View Post
the LHS didnt have any silicone grease so i went to auto parts store and they didnt have any either. They did have white lithium grease. i got some...will it be ok to use to lube the metal to metal parts and the fuel tube dampners?
Hello rollin.......while i'm not a professional on grease types 101, i will say to be careful switching greases, especially greases from the auto parts v/s hobby shop........I used to be a mechanic for our school district, many years ago.......Some greases are chemically universal and can be used in many, many applications.....other greases have specific applications......instead of getting into every grease available from the auto parts, i'm just gonna say that some greases, like lithium based grease, are made to penetrate the metal in areas like brakes and wheel bearings on autos, where a heavy rain might actually wash the grease out of the wheel bearings.....lithium-based guarantees that some grease, mainly the grease that penetrated the metal, would still protect the metal, temporarily.......make sense??? Kinda???.......if you use these metal penetrating automotive greases on RC Heli's and Planes, they might actually break down the plastic parts and that could prove to be costly as well as catastrophic and dangerous.......Also, for your reference silicone is another word for plastic and a silicone based grease is therefore safe for plastics.....heres a very helpful hint......silicone grease is marketed under several different names and for several different applications and the actual word "silicone" is not alway's clearly posted on the label.......the most logical reason for this is, if you knew, silicone, is silicone, is silicone, you wouldn't go to the hobby shop and pay $4-$5 for a one-ounce tube, if you knew you could buy the same thing at say the "craft" store for 99 cents........make sense now,rollin'........I can tell you for a fact, that at the auto parts store you can buy the same "silicone" grease, it's marketed as "dielectric" grease, it is used to create seperation of the various electronic parts, under the distributor cap, inside the engine compartment......ask for it at your local auto parts, if you cant find it anywhere else.......sorry for the long response......hope this helps......thanx for posting........KOOLKRABBER47........
koolkrabber47 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 12:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default lithium grase to servos?

I use lithium grase yellow for my HXT 900 servos! I have to stop using it?
gfdimopo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 12:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

but i need silicone grease for the orings....silicone spray wont work? would rite aid have silicone grease? any one have some brand names i can look for sense the word silicone isnt always on the container?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Exactly my point,rollin'......

Quote:
but i need silicone grease for the orings....silicone spray wont work? would rite aid have silicone grease? any one have some brand names i can look for sense the word silicone isnt always on the container?

Exactly my point,rollin'........Silicone grease is made from plastic and is consistantly used for protecting plastic parts and most gaskets and O-Rings,especially on automobiles......A good substitute for your O-Rings would be good ol' vasiline, as long as the O-Ring is not near a heat source.......if the O-Ring is near a heat source, the vasiline will melt and run out.......if your not near an obvious heat source and using the grease as more of a sealer/filler, than vasiline would be more than adaquate........We used to use vasiline on the O-Rings, on automobiles, all the time and on all the O-Rings for the plumbing around the house for 30 yrs.........BTW, silicone spray will not work.....it is too thin and will "run-out" also.......another down side to spray silicone is it attracts a lot of dust like say WD40 would........KOOLKRABBER47........
Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's some good reading on types of grease to use.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=156157

Dogs come when called. Cats take a message and get back to you later.
Cailid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

As I said before, any ace hardware store and for that matter any store with a decent plumbing section like lowes, home depot, true value will have pure silicone grease. Its where I get it and its pure silicone.
Jesus is Lord Happy Flying
AzChopp3r is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thank You,Cailid.....

[QUOTE=Cailid;2351828]Here's some good reading on types of grease to use.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=156157[/QUOTE

Thank You for posting,Cailid......I couldn't have said it better myself.....Careful with the Lithium-Based Grease, Gentlemen and keep those difficult questions coming, most likely somebody here on HeliFreak will be able to answer them for you.......It just takes a little time to spot the thread,Have Patience.......KOOLKRABBER47.......
Old 09-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just got some from Lowes. Any place that sells plumbing supplies, specifically replacement O-rings and such for faucets, should have it.

Blade 400 (Nue DS450's cyclic, S9257 and GY520, CC Phoenix 35 ESC, SportBEC, stock mechanics), Corona 120, Blade mSR, mCPx, and Honey Bee CP Phoenix 3.0
lenrev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's what I use, bought it at a fishing tackle store @ 20 years ago. It's all they use on reels. It's a silicone based synthetic dielectric.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...LAID=323881544
AR 7000, DS610's cyclic, Quark gyro & DS620 on tail
Capt.Chip is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

i ended up getting this
http://www.gunk.com/CAT_GR2.asp

i dont recomend supergluing head parts due to imminent failure
i learned that lesson the hard way today....
where can i buy a good aluminum head and carbon blades for my blade SR....(same source if possible)?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Excellent choice,Rollin'........

Quote:
i ended up getting this
http://www.gunk.com/CAT_GR2.asp

i dont recomend supergluing head parts due to imminent failure
i learned that lesson the hard way today....
where can i buy a good aluminum head and carbon blades for my blade SR....(same source if possible)?
That grease will work just fine........Very good price,too.......Another fine job, done by your fellow HF'ers...................KOOLKRABBER47... ......
Old 09-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzChopp3r View Post
Pure silicone grease can be had from any ace hardware.
Silicone grease is in the plumbing section of True Value too. They sell it for lubing o-rings on faucets.
crashmore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ditto, Ditto, Ditto........

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmore View Post
Silicone grease is in the plumbing section of True Value too. They sell it for lubing o-rings on faucets.

Yup.....That's what i said in Post #7........Been using it for plumbing for 30 yrs.........Thank you for posting, Crash.......Problem Solved???.........KOOLKRABBER47

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in