Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Main Forum - Multirotor Talk

Main Forum - Multirotor Talk General Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default pitchy KK quad

I just built a quad based on a clone KK board I got from Value Hobby. It has one of the 450 size plastic frames with the carbon/glass center pieces.
I started at 50% on the gain pots. Roll feels great, nice and smooth and predictable but pitch is rather squirrely. It does okay as long as I keep all inputs really smooth. If I jab at the stick it will start kicking back and forth a bit before it settles down. It also tends to over-react to inputs. If I give a medium forward command it will drop it's nose and try to haul ass away. It is almost like I have a bunch of reverse expo in the radio. Aileron doesn't do any of this behavior. I have tried turning the gain up and down several times but it doesn't really seem to make much difference.
One thing I have noticed is the #1 motor seems to lag behind the rest on spool up.

Thanks for any help, Matt
Basmntdweller is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you rerun calibration?

Swap the motors around, one may be a dud.

Swap in a spare motor if you have one, I always order extra when I am building.
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

What happen if you lower the pitch gain?
pinguin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

pinguin, I mentioned in my original post that adjusting the pitch gain had little if any effect on the way it was behaving.

Petedee, I had re-calibrated my ESCs a couple times yesterday thinking that might be part of the problem but it didn't change it. I decided I would do all four one more time tonight. It worked like a charm! All the pitchy behavior is gone and all four motors spool up together. Much smoother now! Thanks!!! I must have been doing something wrong yesterday when I was trying to re-calibrate them.
Now I have to get some orientation lighting on it so I can see what it's doing in flight. I've just had a small dot of black magic marker on the #1 arm for my test flights so far.

Matt
Basmntdweller is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in