Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today...first time.....did my first FFF successfully! Lots of time hovering all orientations,lots of sim practice in forward flight, finally just said "what the hell it's only metal and plastic".Brought her up 25', turned right, increased collective, forward cyclic, BOOM ! WE HAVE FLIGHT! Couple of figure eights but I only flew 1 pack too nervous and dry mouthed to continue.I'm a heli pilot! This is awesome! I'm hooked! WOW that CC is gonna get a workout now!
Is this how everyone felt the first time? Almost like I was inside the blasted thing!
exhogflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhogflyer View Post
Today...first time.....did my first FFF successfully! Lots of time hovering all orientations,lots of sim practice in forward flight, finally just said "what the hell it's only metal and plastic".Brought her up 25', turned right, increased collective, forward cyclic, BOOM ! WE HAVE FLIGHT! Couple of figure eights but I only flew 1 pack too nervous and dry mouthed to continue.I'm a heli pilot! This is awesome! I'm hooked! WOW that CC is gonna get a workout now!
Is this how everyone felt the first time? Almost like I was inside the blasted thing!
Congratz! I know the exact feeling. I started FFF this year and I'll never forget that experience.. The great thing about this feeling is, you'll present yourself with many more challenges as you get better at flying and as you win them, you'll get this rush again, and again. From this point on, it only gets more and more addicting as time passes..
senji is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ditto the feeling! It is so difficult to explain it to someone who doesn't fly. We get it and have felt the pure joy of that first flight. Congrats!

EXI 450 Beater / 450 EC-135 / 450 OH-58 Kiowa / 450 MD 500 / EXI 450 AH-6 Little Bird / EXI 500 (the flying woodchipper!) / HK500GT UH-1E Huey / EXI 500 EC-135/ Love the scale!
dfgipe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Gratz! Its an amazing feeling isn't it?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

great work...am still learning orientations and will surely be as happy as you are when I do my first FFF
godwisper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfgipe View Post
Ditto the feeling! It is so difficult to explain it to someone who doesn't fly. We get it and have felt the pure joy of that first flight. Congrats!
This feeling makes us a big nice family!
robbancs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome! I call them my "breakthrough moments". Its like you take so many baby steps and so much repetition, then suddenly you have a breakthrough!

Everytime I have a breakthrough moment, its just as exciting if not more, then the last.

First one for me was the first time I was able to fly out and back, tail-in. I had finally learned how much elevator to give, in order to stop the motion of the helicopter. I felt like I could do anything! As long as it was going away and coming back, with the tail facing me LOL.

Just the other day, I had my most recent breakthrough moment. It was the very first time I was able to fly continuously, mixing in various tricks I have learned, without having to stop and break into a hover in between each move. It just clicked, and felt totally natural. Even got my first compliment from a fellow pilot!

Keep practicing, it only gets better!!

Cris
Ci+izen #012
SynergyAero is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats!!!

I am new since Jan 1. I did lots of hovering in a warehouse and now the weather is nice enough to get outside. I just love how much help is out on the web. There is only 1 other Heli pilot in my club and he is going into the Army after dental school. It is great to learn and share with others with this Crazy Obsession. I just did my first loop thursday then whent for the inverted hover, I let out a litte yell (Wow this is fun). It is hard to get over the nerves at first but each new step is a real rush. This is from a 52 year old engineer. I feel like a kid on Christmas!

Keep up the practice and have a great time!
mpolzin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Congratulations! That's a big achievement, one of many that will put a big grin on your face in the sport of heli flying.

Heli flying is a rush!
gehrbox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I've flown rc planes (planks! haha!) for many years and I remember my first solo flight.............but that did not compare to the rush of the heli.Probably because heli's are WAY harder and I've taught myself to fly them.Just so amazing how they fly......but even that they DO fly.To say I'm hooked is an understatement.........more like I'm obsessed!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking Me too!!!!

Congrats... I know the feeling ... had one of these moments my self.

[ame]http://youtu.be/wtANJs0fot8[/ame]

It is very exiting to see progress in our efforts learning something new.

I have to say: learning to fly a RC helli is not an easy task but it is very rewarding.
electrojolt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Congrats on your fff your skills will get better just trust in what you do on the sim and make it happen it gets better every time ..I have to learn everything on my own there is not any heli or plane pilots around me so I'm just in the wind on my own so win I get somthing from the sim to the air I get the same feeling..good louck and happy flying

A NOTHER TEX WHILE DRIVING THANKS SAMSUNG AND CRASH TALK 2
Allen_H is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats! I'll never forget my first mini-hover in my den with a 400 size helo. What a feeling! Butterflies, nervousness, you name it, I had it. I still find myself locking my kness when I fly because there is always tension when flying these machines!
cjennjr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just had my first real flight with my MCPX this weekend also! Alot of hovering and orientation practice, a few runs here and there... some sim time (hate to admit it, but that really helped alot!)...
So I took it out to the park, spooled it up and away it went... and bang, I was doing figure 8's and circles...
There was a certain rush and satisfaction that came with that moment!
FlyingRadioWaves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Today...first time.....did my first FFF successfully!
FFF?
lrhorer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Congrats to you. I had the same feeling myself when I started into forward flight. Keep up the good work and happy flying to you.

Last edited by crowe73; 05-19-2012 at 08:41 PM..
crowe73 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
FFF?
fast forward flight
Old 05-15-2012, 01:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats!

I remember the first time I brought my 450 around in a hard turn with the disc near vertical. It made that beautiful growl with the blades clawing at the air and came rocketing out of the turn. I rolled it over and whipped it back around in the opposite direction in one smooth motion, carrying all the momentum with it. I was alone on a crisp morning with the warm sun on my back. My hands and knees were shaking and I had a big smile on my face.

I'm smiling now just thinking about it.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I remember my first time. Hours of 'hovering' finally rewarded by seeing the heli actually FLY.

I've now found practicing slow stationary piros in both directions has giving me tremendous gains in my flying. Give it a shot on the sim - really helps with piro movements, orientation, backwards flight (what im working on now, hard)

Congrats !
Blade 130X
drdispatch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats! Yes, my mouth was dry, heart racing, body almost trembling when I performed my first forward flight, and I've been addicted ever since. I haven't dove into 3D yet, but figure 8's, FF, hovering, etc. will do it for me...
cjennjr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in