Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos

Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Compass Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Compass 4926-510 SZ - Flight Report

Finally, today, I had opportunity to get out and put in a few flights with this new motor installed. Through rigorous research (goin' flyin'), I'd arrived at a 14t pinion on my 700MX-510. It allows me to use the very low headspeed I now enjoy - about 1575 rpm. Since the 4926 is also a 510kV, I put the 14t pinion on the motor.

Sorry for my long post, but I wanted to address a number of things I thought folks might wanna know. I had some concerns:
  1. How does the pinion fit on the shaft?
  2. Will it clear the frame sides in the first batch frames?
  3. Does it have the power which is associated with Compass factory motors?
  4. Does it stress the ESC is any way?
  5. Does it run cool?
  6. Will it overtax my Gens Ace 5300 30C packs?
  7. Might it alleviate the recently mentioned tail noise at higher throttle positions?
  8. Any other unpleasant surprises?
My findings, thoughts, and less than expert opinions...
  1. First off, the pinion is a perfect fit. Revco 1.0M 14t. The flat spot is positioned perfectly nearer the end of the motor just where it's needed. No Dremeling needed.
  2. It cleared the frames with a minimal .5mm or so. It's a large motor can. I checked it with a 6" scale as a feeler, and it rubbed, so I didn't know if some in-flight deflection might be an issue. After 4 flights, I saw no evidence of rubbing. I threw a lot at it, and even tried bogging the head with some stupid moves. It looks to be fine.
  3. Probably our most pressing question...power? It has abundant power for my style of flying. I flew speeds from 1575 to 2000 rpm. Crazy climbout power, amazing thrust. My favorite power move is to pitch it back tail down like the back side of a tick tock, and apply full pitch to let the dog off the leash. Holy cow does it ever have abundant power! It especially performed better than the 700MX at low headspeed. Clearly, there is much more available torque with bigger can, stonger magnets, and YY stator wind. The stator wire is much larger, single strand wire. I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed!! it also sounds very nice as well. Really smooth.
  4. The ESC was quite happy. No temp rise that I could detect. No glitches, no hesitation. Perfect control! (In my case, PowerJive Modes 4, 9.
  5. The motor was warm after flights. It was very brisk here today, about 50F. so cooling was aplenty. However, without any real cooling flow in the canopy, I doubt I will see any problems here.
  6. I was really pleased with how my Gens Ace took the power. I noted zero temp rise in the packs, just as before. I can't tell that it's working them any harder than my prior setup. I am inclined to believe that the motor is very efficient. Plus, it may simply not being worked as hard to deliver the desired performance I sought.
  7. My heli and that of several others have had a noteworthy tail noise at higher headspeeds. Most observe it above 1800 rpm. For whatever reason, wind, magnets, how the ESC manages it, it's gone. In fact, the machine is overall smoother, and sounds MUCH quieter in the air.
  8. Certainly no unpleasant surprises. This is the motor which Compass has always wanted for this ship. For those who are considering buying the kit with motor, don't give it a second thought! It's about the perfect match for the beast. Very impressive!
Thanks to all at Compass for the hard work testing and developing this motor. I am very happy to have it in my machine!
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Rob. Can't wait to get mines. Should be here sometime this week.
BakedMopar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, thanks Rob, i'm sold.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great report Rob! Sounds like a fantastic motor. Hope they become available to the masses soon.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rob,

Great review. I know you have waited for this motor for a very long time, and am very pleased that you have one and are enjoying it.

OUTSTANDING SIR!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

Awesome Rob!

I hear I will be able to like you again on wednesday

Last edited by Jason O'Connell; 04-02-2012 at 09:41 PM..
Jason O'Connell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rob, I hope to see it at the Mid America FF?
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great write-up Rob. Glad this guy showed up at last.

Can't help but noticing the lack of the 'El Brute' moniker in your review

Hope the power is living up to all of your expectations. Or maybe 'El Brute' was just the code name while it was in R&D.

Are you still running +-13.0 pitch at your low headspeeds? I tried 1650 this weekend and it was fun. Thinking more pitch might be more fun though. I expect that El Brute rocks the low headspeed a lot better than the 700 MX ?

Jay
jmackey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rob,

Can you compare it and the Xera 4530-500??

Thankd
#1 - Compass 7HV, Scorpion 4530 , VBAR, Kosmik 200
#2 - Logo 700
G200driver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullen Colapietro View Post
Rob, I hope to see it at the Mid America FF?

I am pre-registered. Right now, I plan to arrive Saturday morning, and spend Saturday night there if i can still get a room. Indeed, El Brute shall be there for sure. My son Nick will be there too as he has all fun fly events!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackey View Post
Great write-up Rob. Glad this guy showed up at last.

Can't help but noticing the lack of the 'El Brute' moniker in your review

Hope the power is living up to all of your expectations. Or maybe 'El Brute' was just the code name while it was in R&D.

Are you still running +-13.0 pitch at your low headspeeds? I tried 1650 this weekend and it was fun. Thinking more pitch might be more fun though. I expect that El Brute rocks the low headspeed a lot better than the 700 MX ?

Jay
Thanks, Jay. I wanted to differentiate this post from the last so as to set aside the my usual BS and provide information as best I could.

It indeed is a Brute, as originally referenced by Klaus Myrseth last summer. With it's abundance of torque, it handles the low headspeed way better. As such, even with the RJX tail (which, although it's nice and smooth, has not yet shown benefit to me - but then, I am no Dave K on the sticks!) I had one sort of loss of tail hold in one of those moves where you enter at high speed, inverted, tail-first, and fly a loop, piro-ing the tail around to nose first as you approach the top, and back around tail first as you pass the crest. With full pitch at low headspeed approaching the top, it blew out for an instant. Luckily I didn't choke, and corrected it. Pretty sobering though! I will need to read up on Vbar bank switching and leave that move until I can try some gain settings for the tail at this ridiculous low speed. Everything else is spot on, and the headspeed is locked in really well on the PowerJive now that the motor has the power to deliver. I could also try some 110's on the tail as well, but then it may have too much gain at the 70% throttle.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

ROB for tail you need to run banks as you want higher gain at low headspeed or it will blow with any tail, especially torque generated by strong motors, you'll probably have to increase precomp as well.
Re the motor can you temp gun it after a hard flight please, would like to know of it has a fan concept that works as well as pyro or mx. Or if it's gonna be "scorpion hot"
Does anyone sell this motor yet?
Stolla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have not been able to find one for sale yet. I'm sure there is a back log of people that have been waiting for a motor since last summer. Hopefully they will get caught up quickly with those waiting so the rest of us have a chance to buy one soon
Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

any logs from castle or eagle tree? max amps specifically?

I upgraded to cc160 with all the talk of power, just want to see if I wasted money upgrading for no reason.

Does anybody know the reported specs?

Diviner Gregg

FPV Racing Channel . . . new episode every other Friday
Diviner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

my test motor, which was a pre production motor of what Rob has with only 1.2mm winding peaked 156 amps. i think its fair to compare them and assume you can peak that if not a little more with production motor. this video was with the pre production motor and its no slouch.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...338766&page=18

im glad your liking the motor Rob, Sebastian spent a lot of time on this motor and its what we were looking for, unfortunately it took way longer then we thought but i think its worth the wait. the most noticeable quality i found of the motor is how smooth it is like Rob said.
Prostarhobby.com
Dave Ketelhut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks dave. So if I do my math correctly, the motor pulls around 7000-7500 watts.

Diviner Gregg

FPV Racing Channel . . . new episode every other Friday
Diviner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ketelhut View Post
the most noticeable quality i found of the motor is how smooth it is like Rob said.
you hit the nail on the head, I couldn't agree with you anymore.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ketelhut View Post
my test motor, which was a pre production motor of what Rob has with only 1.2mm winding peaked 156 amps. i think its fair to compare them and assume you can peak that if not a little more with production motor. this video was with the pre production motor and its no slouch.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...338766&page=18

im glad your liking the motor Rob, Sebastian spent a lot of time on this motor and its what we were looking for, unfortunately it took way longer then we thought but i think its worth the wait. the most noticeable quality i found of the motor is how smooth it is like Rob said.
Does it have any advantages over the 4525 le ? I am very tempted to get the compass motor as I love the kit motor on the 6hv and I love all things compass.
snaaakeey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rob, I'm happy for you! Man, that motor sounds awesome! I wish I had one. It'll be good to meet everyone at the Mid America Fun fly. I'm gonna be there all week as I'm taking a class. It'll be fun!

I'm especially happy that the noise went away. It's funny how these things work out!

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds awesome Rob. I want one now!
/trex450prov2/mcpx's/DX8
Jonnyrl1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm, I might be replacing my hk3 4035-560 as that thing always comes down scorpion hot.

Team Scorpion
Gawl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in