Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #421 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 4 helis set up with fly mentor .two have now died (fm) both are the same the gyro dies ,tail still holds but no balance. , I have tried using differant gyro and it all works well again
Any ideas
joshd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #422 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vador33 View Post
Hi Recently installed my flymentor but the swashplates don't adj everytime I tilt the helicopter and the flymentor is always blinking green. Can anyone help me. I've trying to figure it for a week now.

I have the following:

trex 450 RTF
t6 Align Tx

Thanks,

Dave
First off, can you switch between Off, Balance and Positioning mode?
Solid red = Off
Solid red +green = Balance mode
Blink green = Un-locked positioning mode
Solid green = Locked positioning mode
A constant green blink means the CCD (camera) has not aqurired a fix / steady / locked on positioning mode. Do you have an extra channel into which plug the FM and control it. Ideally you should have a three postion switch or a pot for this channel to properly control the FM. If your radio is a six channel then you are stuck with one mode controlled from Helibal and not the TX. Some people a able to control it with six channel (guess by using # 5) but it's too messy for my taste.

Guess your TX is 6ch., take it outside on a bright day, hold it 3 to 4 feet off the ground (preferably grass) and watch for the blink green change to solid green. (positioning mode)

For swash tilt, check your helibal gains, ALWAYS adjust movement first and servo reversals after. DO NOT reverse or trim ANYTHING in the TX.

Hope this helps
Felix the cat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #423 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flymentor + walkera 2801 RCG

I can't seem to find where to put the orange "pitch wire". Following the flymentor instructions. I put the blue and green in AUX 1. And AUX 2. If I put the red-white-black wire in Elev. the only slot left for the orange pitch wire is throttle? gear? Or Aux 3?

Any input guys ?
Southern New Jersey - USA --> looking for local guys who fly helis <-- Less than 1 year in and a fleet of helis: 2 CopterX 450s, an EC-135 - 450 Flymentor. Building an EXI 500.. New Hitec Aurora 9...maybe FBL soon.

Last edited by Pcaola; 08-22-2012 at 06:31 AM..
Pcaola is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #424 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Drift

Hi!
Ivor, thank you very much for all your advises. I set up and munted FM on my B450 according to your guidance. It works weary well. I am using Eflite G210 gyro (stock), so my blue and green wires are disconected. It works nice in slow turns and in hover. I noticed that when I am flying forvard and make 180 degree turn with rudder, heli drifts to the right, so I have to compensate with aileron. How can I get rid of this drift.
Thank you, and best wishes from Slovenia.
triglav is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #425 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default test

Hi!
Ivor thank you for your excellent advises.
triglav is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #426 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, sorry can't with that one but it is normal to use yaw and aileron when turning.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #427 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Load, Save and What?

I'm getting a little frustrated with my FM. Trying to do everything by the book. I have gotten FM set where I want it. Saved it to FM ( top save button ) and usually save it as a config file (bottom save button) and label it with a note or the date.

After a few tests today and a lot of heli spinning on the ground CCW. Called it a day. Hooked it up to FM at home and tail gyro settings are not where I set them. I'm using. An Oange Spektrum rcvr 6ch and a DXI6. I don't have the Blue or green wire connected. I have the tied tight.

When I make changes in FM software I get the ! On the disc image. When I click save to FM. It goes through. But the ! Never goes away.

If I click load after a save I get different settings. And if I click load...3,4,5 times in a row (waiting for the load bar to Finnish ) it changes the settings EVERY time! How could it load a different config file from the FM every time ?

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks guys

Paul
Southern New Jersey - USA --> looking for local guys who fly helis <-- Less than 1 year in and a fleet of helis: 2 CopterX 450s, an EC-135 - 450 Flymentor. Building an EXI 500.. New Hitec Aurora 9...maybe FBL soon.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #428 (permalink)
Registered Users

What operating system are you useing on your PC ?. If you are useing anything other than XP then that may be your problem. Some have managed to get it working with Vista and W7 but generaly speaking FM only works with XP. The file gets currupted when loading the setting from FM to the programme. Loading from programme to FM is ok.
The fix for this is not to do it. When you make a change in the programme send to FM and update the Cfg file when you have finished making changes so the you know the file is always the same as the FM settings so you never have to read from FM. Just load the Cjg file to see and change FM's settings. Hope this is clear.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #429 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks

Thanks Ivor. I'm an avid iPad user so I haven't had a laptop in years. A guy I work with was selling a very small Acer, only about a year or two old and I specifically bought it for setting up FM because it is running windows xp. It's very portable, about the size of a hardback novel, only thinner.

Your solution of saving the config file after sending the data to the FM is perfect! I hadn't thought about going that route because I was more worried that FM wasn't getting the file, or for some reason, was storing multiple files. The file is probably not being imported correctly which is why hitting load a second time changes the settings again. I was just mostly concerned that FM wasn't doing what I programmed. I haven't experimented with the black programming box at all to double check what's IN FM, but I will just to prove our theory.

Thanks a lot for taking time to share the knowledge man. I really hope to be in the air on Saturday !!

You guys have been great.

Paul
Old 09-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #430 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Jelibal on windows 7 - 64 bit

my great friend worked out how to get helibal on my windows 7 64 bit laptop
I have tried this setup and works great on my laptop

He has also done it for windows 7 32 bit as well

KDS Flymentor on Windows 7 64bit without Driver Signing.wmv (11 min 15 sec)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0506.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	348540  
firey11 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 05:14 AM   #431 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gyro mounting

Hi all, I've ordered FM and am prepping y Trex450 ready for installation.

Quick question: I don't want to move my Futaba GY520 from its place above the tail block. So can the FM 3D gyro be mounted below the tail boom/block, and if so can I fit it upside down, or does it need to be mounted with the label facing up?

Also I'm using a PPM setup, does this mean the stabilisation is limited? A quick scan of the manual differentiates between PPM and digital capabilities..........

Thanks!
lloydcaruana is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #432 (permalink)
Registered Users

It can be mounted upside down but it complicates set up. I normaly fit the gyro under the heli just forward of the rear skid the right way up. Just stick the pad to the lid and use a velcro strap for extra security. There is less vibration down there.
Not quite sure about your second question but I use a futaba tx fitted with FRsky modual and reciever and the tx is set to PPM. Hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #433 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks!

That'll place it close to my ESC - hopefully it's reatively immune from that, but I'll follow your advice of running it and observing swash movement before committing to it's location.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #434 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bail out

Ivor, I'e installed the FM; RX on the side, gyro underneath at middle just in front of rear skids with a 5mm Spartan gyro pad, and CCD just in front of this.

Works perfectly!

Just wondering what settings to adust so the FM isn't doing too much unless I really need it. It does feel different to fly, and as I can already fly pretty good without FM, I want the heli to fly less stable but intervene only when I release the cyclic stick.

Maybe it's already behaving as such but I want to be sure because it does feel diferent?

Oh, and as for Windows 7 64bit, switch off driver signing (google it) and then use a new driver: https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...8&d=1280067659
Old 09-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #435 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default TEST FLIGHT

I have a question, when i do my test flight should i be using throttle up mode? I have a DX6i. Also to set pitch should i be in the same position- 0 at mid stick and i used to have @8* pos pitch at full thro. and the same for neg.
PSV-1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #436 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSV-1 View Post
I have a question, when i do my test flight should i be using throttle up mode? I have a DX6i. Also to set pitch should i be in the same position- 0 at mid stick and i used to have @8* pos pitch at full thro. and the same for neg.
Most people useing FM are noobies and so fly in normal mode, the choice is yours but I would start in normal mode.
You should use the software to set the swash back to where it was before fitting FM.
Use pitch servo neutral to set the swash back to centre and aileron and elevater neutrals to level the swash. Then use pitch travel to set your pitch range, normaly + and - 10 or 11 degrees but if it's 8 that you want then set it at that. It's explain in the sticky. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #437 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default TEST FLIGHT

Thanks , i used thr 8* so its not so twitchy. I find it to be eaiser to controll its like having a little expo in the heli.Illgive it a whirl .
PSV-1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #438 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Two questions FM

I have phyically installed a FM on a Trex 600e. Installation of the Helibal program has progressed to where being "connected" is acklowledged. Now what do I do? Moving the sliders doesn't seem to change anything.

Second question: All stick movements cause one servo to move in the approiate direction as does tilting the heli. However, the left front servo moves only when I increase the throttle. Is this normal? Will it be addressed when I learn how to progress through the setup?

Please help!

Bill
Bill Fleming is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #439 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fleming View Post
I have phyically installed a FM on a Trex 600e. Installation of the Helibal program has progressed to where being "connected" is acklowledged. Now what do I do? Moving the sliders doesn't seem to change anything.

Second question: All stick movements cause one servo to move in the approiate direction as does tilting the heli. However, the left front servo moves only when I increase the throttle. Is this normal? Will it be addressed when I learn how to progress through the setup?

Please help!

Bill
When you make a change nothing will happen untill you send the change to FM.
If only one servo at a time is moving I would guess that you have it set to 1 servo normal on the mounting page should be 3 servo 120 degrees, or you have it wired incorrectly.
Please read and follow the sticky, correct servo movements when you tip the heli must be set first on the servo page and then stick directions on the control page.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #440 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSV-1 View Post
Thanks , i used thr 8* so its not so twitchy. I find it to be eaiser to controll its like having a little expo in the heli.Illgive it a whirl .
If it is done useing duel rates and expo then thats fine but if it is done mechanicaly then it will reduce the amout FM can correct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in