Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR X

mSR X Blade Micro SRX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default So far not impressed

I don't want to hijack the "MSRX is garbage" thread, I posted my experience in there, but I'll start a new one.

I took mine out of the box yesterday and thus far this thing is a pig. It is all over the place with rudder input. It slides to port every time, but slides forward (and port) with right rudder and backwards (and port) with left rudder. I've been able to tune out the port slide by adjusting the aileron link, however, adjusting the elevator link helps a little in one direction (forward) but is even worse now in the other (backwards). I'm not a pro, but I don't think it's pilot skill, I can throw my brushless mcpx and Trex 500 around with no problem.

I'm really scratching my head on this one. If the elevator had the same tendency while yawing in both directions then it would be an easy fix (adjust the link), however, with it going in opposite directions depending on yaw direction I'm really at a loss here.

I'm going to call Horizon tomorrow, I haven't crashed it so maybe they'll help me out.

Any ideas?

Helis I've had: Trex 500, Compass 500, MCPX, Nano CPX
bstanley72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

'Tis the nature of the beast. You MM mod it until you have it at the best possible compromise. Then you fly it and after about a day you're not even noticing it anymore.

PM me for your soldering and mSR X BL build needs.
burnoutboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have to do the MM mod. The problem is that while hovering the swash is tilted to cancel the tail, but when you hit the rudder the swash goes to neutral position. So you have to adjust the swash so that it's tilted correctly at neutral.
cp11 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Read before you post. He's in the process of doing the MM mod. He's noticing that there is no PERFECT point. It will always drift slightly on either left or right piro.

Here's a trick that will help A LOT.

You CAN do half turns to get the MM mod very close to perfect. But you CANNOT install the servo linkage on the swash ball backwards. It only fits one way. To achieve the half turn you must also flip the servo rod so it's on the other side of the actual servo. Voila, half turn. This will help you get it closer. Mine only drifts about a foot off center per every piro rotation now.

PM me for your soldering and mSR X BL build needs.
burnoutboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Update:

I've tried adjusting the links some more, no dice. I've tried mixing the rudder and elevator channels, still no luck.

It could be a bad unit (though i have a feeling it isn't). Horizon is sending me new one so we'll see.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well if it is not the board, is there anyone you can have test fly it? I know not all of us are "club" members but if you are, or if there is a club near you, maybe going and seeing if any of them have an issue with it. Maybe a tip or two for you.

Dont know what kind of people are employed at your LHS, maybe they could offer a lil help.

That is one of the limitations of our lil community, we cant just drop in and say "hey, lemme help you dial it in." or I sure would.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Ok, here's an update:

Horizon sent me a new control board which I installed a bit ago. It does seem to help a bit, though it could just be a placebo effect. I guess I have to accept that this thing just isn't going to fly like my mcpx or 500. I wanted something I could fly indoors, but with the way it slides and pitches that just isn't going to happen.

I flew six packs in my back yard, it zips around reasonably well. Tail is a little slow, maybe I can bump the dual rates over 100% and cure that. One thing I noticed since I'm not really sure if I like it, I don't really care if I pile it in, so I flew the snot out of it and didn't crash once. Wish I could conjure the same attitude (looseness) with my bigger bird!

So in the end I'm not sure I would recommend this bird to anyone, but I'm not necessarily regretting that I got it either.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sucks to hear, i zip mine around the living room with alarming speed... Right turns only tho lol
Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I learned how to fly on the msrx doing the same RH turns only. It really sucks because its taken me months to unlearn it on my mcpx.

To the op... I haven't tried yet on mine but iirc I read that cnc blade grips help. Or was it the swash? I'm going to get both before it gets cold out again since this is the only bird I can really fly inside.

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2
ertpecs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's no doubt that right hand turns are "easier" inasmuchas they are pretty much the same at any speed: a bit of right aileron, turn into it with a bit of right rudder and maybe pull back on the elevator to keep it from getting away. In my (limited) experience there seems to be three different types of left turn depending on speed. At low speed I actually have to give it a bit of right aileron (!) and fly through the turn with left rudder. At moderate speed no aileron in required, the bird banks into a left turn with left rudder and just needs a bit of back elevator to keep it from diving or getting away. At full speed then a co-ordinated left rudder/left aileron turn become possible, but it'll dive into the ground without plenty of attention and backwards elevator.

Of course there's no doubt more than one way to skin a cat as regards flying this little beastie. And maybe I'm teaching myself bad habits that I'll have to unlearn once I step up to an MCPX. But I don't ride my pushbike doing right hand turns only, so I feel the same about the MSRX

EDIT: Nearly forgot, for me the alloy blade grips / rotor hub / swash make a hell of difference to responsiveness of the chopper, but don't change its fundamental behaviour regarding asymmetry of turning.
teepeedoubleyou is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Take a look at my 'basic flaw' thread for an explanation of why this is occurring. In a stable hover, as soon as you turn rudder-right, the tail-thrust compensation-lean turns into down elevator, sending it forward (and left turns into up elevator, sending it sliding backward).

The AS3X should compensate for this, but doesn't. You can MMM mod it, and add a mix to your TX (if computerized) to add up-elevator (pull back) on right rudder, and down elevator (push forward) when turning left. It'll help stabilize it for sport flying, but as the heli is fundamentally flawed and the AS3X code does not compensate for this fact, it will always be a poor flier that the pilot has to compensate for on some level and anticipate the flawed control responses from.

Just as a note, this is why you can apply constant right rudder and end up in an accelerating right circuit unless you also pull back on the cyclic to bring the nose up. It's the same as doing an aileron/rudder banked turn due to the flaw mixing in right aileron to allow the heli to hover with its high, motor-killing head-speed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in