Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Quick question about sim behaviour (Using clearview)

Quick question about sim behavior, I noticed in different sims that when ever any aileron or elevator movement is provided, it causes the heli to gain altitude, is this characteristic of real flight and if so why?

I am awaiting my HBV2 to arrive in the mail Tuesday (Maybe Monday!), will be my first real rc heli (I have owned the havoc heli and though I know its totally different I think my skill built on it with rudder control I think will help, even if only a little!), and I look forward to learning to master this thing . Would be nice if I could find someone local to show me the ropes sort of but there aren't any listed clubs I could find or even a history of a heli even ever existing on local craigslist, so I think it's slim, but I am determined and will learn to fly this thing .
MatCat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Also I don't know how much of a difference it makes in the sim compared to real but with the sim and keyboard control I can for the most part keep the HB modal somewhat under control, and I have no issues with 3D perspective (I.E. Tail, Side, or Nose view controlling), to be fair I did drive a semi for a living for a while, and backing up is done in reverse cause of the trailer And lots of video games rofl.

I am wondering too though how accurate keyboard control could be to actual stick control with a TX, cause the biggest issue I have with the KB control is a single quick tap seems to give a fairly good amount of stick movement so it's hard to fine tune the middle ground, though at the same time with a keyboard I am not controlling multiple accesses with one finger at the same time either .
Old 10-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Trying to fly with keyboard input is nothing like using an actual Tx and doesn't help you develop the muscle memory for the stick inputs. That said, learning heli flight on a sim is definately the way to go. For the most part the physics are pretty close, dependant of course on which sim you are using. Pheonix and RealFlight are probably two of the most popular and most accurate. As with anything else you'll find people that are firmly on either side of the fence as to which is the "best".

Naturally, with a sim you don't get some of the nuances of flying the real thing, you can't feel the wind and no matter how accurate the sim, it's hard if not almost impossible to exactly duplicate the behavior of a real helicopter in terms of mechanical differences and setups from one machine to the next.

You can find a ton of good info here about the different sims and pros and cons of each. What simulator are you using?

EDIT: Duh, says in your post title you are using ClearView. I'm not familiar with that one, but then again I am new to heli's myself.

I have owned RealFlight as Pheonix both, and I tend to prefer Pheonix for the simple fact that is has alot more heli's to chose from out of the box. Do a little research on both. RealFlight's an extremely high quality and well polished Sim, and the new RF G6 version has reportedly amazingly improved physics and much more heli's. Like I said, there are many pro's and cons to compare, but either is a good choice for a beginning pilot to learn on. If flying heli's is something you are determined to do, and is sounds that you are, then your money is WELL spent picking up RealFlight or Pheonix RC. They both come with a Tx controller. Pheonix actually comes with a REAL Tx that you can use to fly Fixed wing and fixed pitch helis, though if you are going with a collective pitch heli you will need a 6 channel radio.

Trex 450 SE w/V3 upgrades | Raptor Titan 50 V2 | Spektrum Dx7
Live long, Fly hard.

Last edited by SlipShod; 10-15-2011 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: RE-Read OP.
SlipShod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi MatCat,

As said, using the keyboard is totally different and pretty much a waste of time for learning to fly a model. The simulator is primarily used to teach the thumbs to fly the helicopter. OK, sounds a bit funny, but these things move so rapidly that there is no time to observe, think about what to do and then do it. You need to train yourself to the point where you 'see' where you want to go and the thumbs do it without the need to think about where they are going - like driving a car.

Clearview is OK. But twitchy as hell. Phoenix is much better.. this is a good case of you get what you pay for. However, it is still good to learn on at low cost. If you get really drawn into the hobby think seriously about moving to Phoenix - it is worth it. I have both. Also very good is HeliSimRC - possibly the best for an absolute beginner (and free with a donation).

Combining these first two points; I'd suggest you use the Trex700 model in Clearview and go to Settings / Easy Model Setup, then set your rates down to 20, 50, 50 for a more realistic (easier) level of control. Why the 700? Simply because its easier to see and keep control of. This is a tool for training so don't worry about replicating your model - leave that for play time

Finally the original question was about lift. Follow this link. This will explain transitional lift and be an excellent source of information for learning to fly.

Good luck
Old 10-16-2011, 04:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee_random View Post
Finally the original question was about lift. Follow this link. This will explain transitional lift and be an excellent source of information for learning to fly.
Ahh I see, and I was sort of thinking something along the lines of that too but I didn't put it fully together until I read that. Plus that is an excellent source of a website too, I am going to have to check it out.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Though only using a KB I have been messing around quite a bit in the sim today, I have managed to be able to continuously do back and forth flybys without crashing and maintaining altitude (using ETL to my advantage most of the time), now I am trying to figure out banked turns, that's kind of tough one cause you have to pretty much control all 3 axis at once to do it hehe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in