Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thinking about upgrading from Taranis

I'm thinking about upgrading from a Taranis X9D to a Spektrum DX9 or possibly even the DX18. I'll be using the radio or my 250 racing quad and Goblin helicopter but I'm not sure if upgrading would be worth the additional cost. Can someone give me some of the advantages of going to the Spektrum radio vs what I already have? I do like the idea of being able to add satellites to my Goblin but I'm not really sure if they're needed.
mliebs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mliebs View Post
I'm thinking about upgrading from a Taranis X9D to a Spektrum DX9 or possibly even the DX18. I'll be using the radio or my 250 racing quad and Goblin helicopter but I'm not sure if upgrading would be worth the additional cost. Can someone give me some of the advantages of going to the Spektrum radio vs what I already have? I do like the idea of being able to add satellites to my Goblin but I'm not really sure if they're needed.
In my opinion, DX9 from Taranis X9D is not an upgrade, it's a downgrade.

What are your issues/limitations with the Taranis that you are looking to the Spektrum DX series to fix?

PM me if you have any Taranis programming issues (I can usually help out).

Spektrum DX9 advantages:
- Send in for support if issues.
- Easier programming for standard style models.
- Greater installed base, so more at-field support.
- Internal DSMX (lower latency)
- Inbuilt wireless buddy box with other DSMX transmitters.
- Good resale value

Taranis advantages (over DX9):
- More flexible programming (eg. change volume while in TH vs not in TH, or program an auto-bailout in the TX when the ESC does not support it, or ....)
- Cheaper receivers (with telemetry & sBus).
- Cheaper transmitter ($300 - Taranis Plus vs $450 DX9)
- More channels (16 physical + 16 virtual).
- Each component user replaceable (gimbals, main board, switches, etc..)
- Computer programming and testing of all functions
- Computer interface for simulation on a regular USB cable.
- More protocols than internal (ie. DSMX, FAAST, and more through module bay).
- Wireless buddy box thought module bay on any protocol (user supplied module to read incoming signal)
- LUA programming if you cannot do a function with regular programming.
- Can add boost components and/or upgraded antennas to make produce a stronger signal (greater distance - but be mindful of regulations ).

I sold my DX8 + AR8000 + TM1000 second hand and had enough money to buy new Taranis + case + DSMX module + 2 RX's + telemetry sensors and had money left over. (In Aus, You can get 2 Taranis (A$289) almost the cost of one DX9 (A$550)).

btw, Adding sats to the Goblin will not necessarily not increase signal strength reception over Taranis with FrSky RX. Antenna length and placement makes enormous differences in both cases. (also with Taranis, signal strength telemetry (built into every FrSky RX) can be programmed in the TX to alert you if the signal strength starts to get low).
Old 11-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Open tx has a lot of options. The programming menus leave a lot to be desired. The hardware is cheap.
With a radio you get what you pay for.
Just feel the gymbals on any new JR transmitter. No comparison.
Scorpion Motors
justinspicer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile JR XG11MV

I started with a JR X9303, then upgraded to a FrySky DJT 2.4 module to get into the 2.4 gHz frequency. Was one of the first to order the Taranis. It had a lot of options, but just like justinspicer said, its programming menus leave a lot to be desired. Sold the Taranis and upgraded to a JR XG11MV with DMSS. It took me a day in learning to program it. The menu was easy to go thru, just like my 9303 and I love its large screen. Got me a JR XG14 as a back up radio and this had very good gimbals on it, but I still love my XG11. So I started with JR, went to a Taranis, but went back to a JR. Been using it on 3 of my helis and I love the feel of it, how it looks, and how easy it is to program. The Taranis just feels so cheap, and was so darn hard to understand and program. And yes there is just no comparison between my old Taranis and the JR XG11MV.
TACO88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO88 View Post
I started with a JR X9303, then upgraded to a FrySky DJT 2.4 module to get into the 2.4 gHz frequency. Was one of the first to order the Taranis. It had a lot of options, but just like justinspicer said, its programming menus leave a lot to be desired. Sold the Taranis and upgraded to a JR XG11MV with DMSS. It took me a day in learning to program it. The menu was easy to go thru, just like my 9303 and I love its large screen. Got me a JR XG14 as a back up radio and this had very good gimbals on it, but I still love my XG11. So I started with JR, went to a Taranis, but went back to a JR. Been using it on 3 of my helis and I love the feel of it, how it looks, and how easy it is to program. The Taranis just feels so cheap, and was so darn hard to understand and program. And yes there is just no comparison between my old Taranis and the JR XG11MV.
Shows you how little I know... being a Spektrum user ( DX8) , I had no idea that the JR would be compatible with Spektrum, so I checked HH's site and although it states that they are using the same technology and suggest that Spektrum is / was the leader in this DSMX technology... It still does not state exactly what is needed to use that JR XG11 with installed DSMX receivers for instance.. Does it need you to change out the receivers??I have about 25 models each with their separate and unique Spektrum DSMX receiver of course, clearly it would be prohibitively expensive to just swap these things out .
Old 11-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The XG11MV is capable of accepting a module in the back. I used the djt frsky module I had on my 9303 and transferred it to my XG11MV and it worked. I can fly my quads and tricopter since they still have frsky receivers on them, but all my helis fly with DMSS receivers. So if you could locate a dsmx module for the jr then you would be good to go.
TACO88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think spectrum makes a module that will go into the xg11mv. I will say this much tho right now Jr has a deal going on that you will get two free receivers with your radio. That is a smoking deal. It will be the dmss receivers as the xg11mv comes with the dmss module. Jr doesn't supply the spectrum module but if you use those receivers you will get to really like the difference with the dmss and will prolly start switching everything.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The JR radios look pretty nice but I have to admit the Futabas look pretty appealing too. I wish more LHS carried these things so I could see what I liked and just buy it here.
mliebs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Just feel the gymbals on any new JR transmitter. No comparison."

AMEN!
Old 11-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
"Just feel the gymbals on any new JR transmitter. No comparison."

AMEN!
Agree. This is one of the shortcommings of a cheaper TX.

Trade off - gimbals for programming function and flexibility. "cake and eat it too" comes to mind.

If price was no object, then Jeti would be the order of the day.

Bring on Horus with hall effect gimbals.

Other way would be to have someone manufacture better quality gimbals that fit in the Taranis shell. However, I doubt this will happen any time soon (I hope I am wrong).
Old 11-18-2015, 11:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

"If price was no object, then Jeti would be the order of the day."

If price was no object, then 28X. Best radio I have flown in four decades.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
"If price was no object, then Jeti would be the order of the day."

If price was no object, then 28X. Best radio I have flown in four decades.
I have to agree with Ah Clem here. And I have been flying since the early 80s and by far the best

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in