Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 600 DFC blade grip play

Just wondering if any one else has this problem, there is a little play between the blade grips and rotor head, I noticed it while pulling out/pushing in the blades during a preflight check. I had the same problem with my Gaui X3 but they sell a shim kit to fix the problem.
Thank you
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2015, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 600 DFC when new and properly assembled is very tight with zero play.

If you're head is used... it may have worn dampers. If it is new- it may not be assembled correctly.
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for your input, I guarantee its assembled in the right order how ever perhaps I have the wrong feathering shaft installed on it. I bought this heli new in 2008 as FB, I purchased the 600 DFC main rotor head upgrade set couple years ago which did not come with the feathering shaft. A quick google search showed me that I am not alone with this problem.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also be sure to check which bearings you have....I noticed that the 600L (and possibly the 600 DFC as well) uses thicker spindle screws, a different spindle and thinner thrust bearings than earlier 550s and 600s, I realized this when I tried to install older bearings and screws I had purchased on ebay on a new spindle. this could lead to some possible play.
FiLazer88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2015, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The older 550/600 spindles have a step down at each end to support the 6mm dia thrust bearings... (93.2mm)

The new 600L and the 600 DFC pro shafts are solid 8mm whole length and and 1mm narrower..... (92.2mm)

http://www.align.com.tw/manuals-en/helicopter/

-
Old 09-22-2015, 11:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumOFparts View Post
The older 550/600 spindles have a step down at each end to support the 6mm dia thrust bearings... (93.2mm)

The new 600L and the 600 DFC pro shafts are solid 8mm whole length and and 1mm narrower..... (92.2mm)

http://www.align.com.tw/manuals-en/helicopter/

-
Thank you, and every one else for their input. I think this may be my problem, as I have about 1mm of play, I have the step down older 93.2mm feathering shaft installed in it and the new feathering shaft is 1mm shorter. The DFC upgrade did not come with blade grips or feathering shaft. As I mentioned I have had this chopper since 2008, its my baby. I have done a complete tear down and rebuild with all the new upgrades. I doubt its a bearing problem as the bearing came with the blade grips. As I also mentioned the Gaui x3 had the same problem, their fix was to sell you a shim pack.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think it matters except for the main shaft, but my Trex is a nitro. I hope I did not over look something because of that.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

obviously your gonna have to get the newer thrust bearing set - internal dia - 8mm....
and the spacers are different - you'll have to study the two manuals....

I'd be tempted just to shim up what you have - they redesigned/beef up these (DFC pro) to handle the newer insane head speeds - if your not one of these throw down pilots and fly moderate - should be fine.....
My guess there are more of the older designs in the air flying just fine - than the newer dfc pros and 'L's......

Curious to what dampeners you end up using - the rock hard dfc ones - or something softer.....

This is really good discussion for me - have both heads and was not aware of this - see what happens when you help others......

=thanks guys - you make me smart....

-
Old 09-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have 1mm of play, you are in trouble - big trouble.

The DFC upgrade kit did not include the blade grips - but it included the DFC arms. So, if you assembled it using the combination of your original parts + upgrade parts, it is probably correct.

The new feathering shaft is the exact same length as the old feathering shaft.
The main difference is the matching thrust bearing has a larger diameter "OUT" race washer.

If you suddenly discovered 1mm play, you have a bad thrust bearing or the dampers are so worn out they are practically gone.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

fwiw, I had been using the older thrust bearing and spindle/screws on my 600L running 2450 headspeed for a couple months. Never had a problem, but I'm upgrading to the newer parts this week, don't wanna risk it because I do jerk this thing around a lot now. If you're just sport flying and doing mild 3d, the older parts should be fine.
FiLazer88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post

The new feathering shaft is the exact same length as the old feathering shaft.
Wish this were true - but - the manuals do not bare this out........

-
Old 09-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are correct as far as what the manual says about feathering shaft length. 600L DFC manual says feathering shaft length is 6*8*93.2 mm, 600 L shaft measures 8*92.2 mm, one mm shorter. Time will tell as I ordered the upgraded shaft which does come with thrust bearings. Also all of the parts that I am using for this upgrade are new including bearings and dampers. Like I previously mentioned Gaui X3 had the same problem their fix was to sell a shim kit. If I could find correct size 8 mm assorted shims I would just shim it.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright, my new upgraded feathering shaft came in today, it came with new bearings, screws and 2 shims. It did measure shorter then my original one, Installed it with out any problems, problem solved. I had a similar problem with the main shaft when converting to DFC, I probably purchased every main shaft that Align ever made before I got the correct one. Thank you.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Align is so much fun - I think I'm in loveeeeeeeeeeee......

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in