Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters

Walkera Helicopters Walkera Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool 850mah battery charge

I asked this before but didn't hear any answers. Should 850mah batteries be charged at .8 or .9?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

either is fine
Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you know the charge rating for the battery? 1S= .85 2S= 1.7 3S=2.5
MichiganFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

depends on the battery. If its a hyperion you can charge it at 4 amps. The stock Mini CP battery charges at .5 amps. It all depends on who made it.
MilitaryMachinist is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryMachinist View Post
depends on the battery. If its a hyperion you can charge it at 4 amps. The stock Mini CP battery charges at .5 amps. It all depends on who made it.
+1

Usually, but not always, the manufacturer will state at what rate a given battery can be charged at.

I tend to shy away from those that don't, not because I think they necessarily are bad, just that I'd rather not assume and then have it go Kablooi and then have the manufacturer say that it's all on me.
Heli-opolis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

This is for the v200d03. It is 850mah 3s battery. I usually don't try the quick charge cycles, just keep things safe. The first response is what I was looking for. So charging a 3s 850mah battery will be ok at .9? I've been charging at .8
Old 03-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by inner3 View Post
This is for the v200d03. It is 850mah 3s battery. I usually don't try the quick charge cycles, just keep things safe. The first response is what I was looking for. So charging a 3s 850mah battery will be ok at .9? I've been charging at .8
If it's a new battery, I usually will cycle the battery 3 times at .5C before use. This does 2 things. 1) It conditions the battery and gets it ready for use and 2) It allows you to see if it can take a full charge. As a lot of us already have experienced bad LiPo's that are brand new.

As for general use, I usually charge at 1C. There are some newer batteries that can be charged at higher rates, like the Hyperions that were mentioned earlier (up to 5C), or even the Genesis Power batteries that can be charged at up to 8C. The problem with that is a higher charge rate means faster charge times, but also creates more heat to the battery and the charger. and reduces the life of the battery.
Majic1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's why I keep everything at 1c to be safe. But I might be confused by the answer, I wasn't asking about the C rate. I wanted to know if I can charge it at 900mah safely. I tried last night and everything was fine, but just checking. Some one above said it should be fine so that is the answer to my question unless anyone has other opinions.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by inner3 View Post
That's why I keep everything at 1c to be safe. But I might be confused by the answer, I wasn't asking about the C rate. I wanted to know if I can charge it at 900mah safely. I tried last night and everything was fine, but just checking. Some one above said it should be fine so that is the answer to my question unless anyone has other opinions.
Yes, on a 850mAh battery, it's not going to make that much difference whether you charge it at 800mAh or 900mAh. Either is fine...
Old 03-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been charging mine at 1C seems to work fine but have some GA 1000mah 25C, GA 800mah 20C, Genesis 850mah 55C. My stock charge get warm plus it take a hour. But my good charger takes 25 or 30 min Genesis power make a 850 20C is alittle closer to stock size for $9.
vronny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
I have been charging mine at 1C seems to work fine but have some GA 1000mah 25C, GA 800mah 20C, Genesis 850mah 55C. My stock charge get warm plus it take a hour. But my good charger takes 25 or 30 min Genesis power make a 850 20C is alittle closer to stock size for $9.
I find that it's not a good idea to use the stock chargers on any of these RTF birds. They are usually garbage. One reason, as you stated, it takes forever to charge, they never seem to give the battery a full charge. Usually only up to about 4.18v and lastly, they don't balance the cells very well, which is not good for the battery. It's always a good idea to invest in a descent charger. With a good charger things work much better and you can cycle, discharge, storage charge...etc. I have a Gens Ace iMars charger and it will actually measure the internal resistance of the battery,as well. Letting you know when your battery is getting old and dying. It also has a cell recovery function, which I haven't used yet. Don't know if that works or not?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic1 View Post
I find that it's not a good idea to use the stock chargers on any of these RTF birds. They are usually garbage. One reason, as you stated, it takes forever to charge, they never seem to give the battery a full charge. Usually only up to about 4.18v and lastly, they don't balance the cells very well, which is not good for the battery. It's always a good idea to invest in a descent charger. With a good charger things work much better and you can cycle, discharge, storage charge...etc. I have a Gens Ace iMars charger and it will actually measure the internal resistance of the battery,as well. Letting you know when your battery is getting old and dying. It also has a cell recovery function, which I haven't used yet. Don't know if that works or not?
Yes I have a supermate DC6 from hobbypartz but will probably buy a better one. Just had to time to make the adapter. But I do use my battery test an usally finish charging on DC6 to make sure everything balanced.
vronny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree, I have a KDS Power RC-6s charger. Its worth the money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in