Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default SR freestyle hobby belt conversion help!

Ok I ordered the kit from FSH, installed it yesterday, every time I turn on my heli the tail servo gets bound up, it's odd, it's like the gyro is telling it to pull or something, then I have to sub trim it out, and ur starts working, but with my stock gyro I get tail wag what settings do u guy use. Also when it does start flying smooth I can never get it to fly with out it starting to turn to the left or right, Is it the g110 gyro?
Slickgib is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you need to set the tail servo up right with out the gyro first. Just unplug the gyro from the rx and plug the tail servo in the rudder port. Zero out all trim and sub trim. Position the servo arm as close as you can to perpendicular to the tail boom. Use sub trim to get it perfect. Then set the tail pitch arm perpendicular to the tail boom and install the servo push rod between the two. You will have to lossen the servo mount screws, so the servo will slide to make sure both arms are still perpendicular. Then tighten the mount screws and check for correct right/left servo operation. Once this is right use the push rod ball links to put about 5 deg of right turn on the tail rotor blades. Usually about 1-2 turns on the rod. Then plug the gyro and tail servo back in the correct positions. Recheck the right/left stick control for ccorrect throw. Then hold the heli straight and quickly turn it 90 deg, watch which way the gyro corrects. If it's wrong then reverse the gyro. That should get you flying.
Air Wolf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks airwolf, i will give that a try,i apreciate the advice, is there a way to set the stock g110 gyro to center ?
Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not really a good way. You can put it in rate mode but it will still try to correct the tail. It will correct once and then go back to center where as heading hold mode will hold the correction until the tail responds. I usually set the tail up just plugging it into the rudder but it should work with the gyro in rate mode, you just have to ignore the correction attempt. Set the gain below 50 and the gyro will go into rate mode. The gyro is good, I have two of these and one gy48 and can't really see any difference in how they hold the heading. If your getting tail wag with the stock gyro try turning the gain down 5 points at a time until the wag stops. Then go back up 1 point at a time until it starts again, then drop back a point or two. The binding will go away after you set up the servo arms and the linkage. Try not to have any electronic trim on the tail servo, the gyro will see this as an input all the time and try and correct for it. I can usually get away with a little subtrim and just correct the rudder every now and then. The way I fly the rudder is getting corrected a lot anyway .
Old 02-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

One other thought. I don't know if you can set travel on your transmitter or not. If you can then set both directions so the servo doesn't bind in either direction. Sometimes the gyro will still overdrive the servo but it doesn't seem to mess anything up in flight, only on the bench. Drives me batty trying to stop it.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Settings

I have the dx6i so yes I can set the travel, I going thru the tail right now an getting. It as close to 90 as I can . When I set travel, do I set it in rate mode or hh? I notice some time when I set travel the servo slows down making the turn is that normal
Old 02-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do all the set up in rate mode. Yes it is normal for the servo to move a little slower as you adjust the trave downl. It only needs to move a little to keep the tail in the right attitude. Don't forget to add a couple of deg of right turn to offset some of the main blade torque. Once your done with the set up and the left/right stick movement is correct, the gyro needs to be put in HH mode and check the correction direction. Look at the servo and give it a left rudder command. Note the direction the servo arm moves for left turn. Then hold the heli pointing away from you and turn it 90 deg to the right quickly. The servo arm should move in the left turn direction. If it does not then reverse the gyro. You have to look close at the servo arm, it will not move very much and not for very long.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

How did the tail setup go? Test fly? Hope all went well, it's too cold here to do any flying, may be better later in the week. I am getting good at landing my nano heli on the coffee table though . Pretending its an aircraft carrier.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Date,

It went great thank you for all the input, my sr is super stable and fun to fly, I can hover this bird all day long and sense I'm a beginner I did my first circuit yesterday(circle)'nose in! In the street! It was a huge accomplishment for me I got teary eyed, after all the money I spent on parts it wasn't huge deal to finally fly the thig in a actual l
Circl without touching te ground! ! It was a bit windy yesterday and today rain is forecasted! So ill be playing with my msr; my 17 month old son has these tunnels that he crawls threw that are like 3 feet wide I set them up and fly my msr threw them and land it on his dump trucks it's fun. I also have a 400 that I'm getting into I can hover that no problem either.

I hope my sim program comes today
Old 02-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats Great! Glad everything went well for you. Happy Flying!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

appreciate all your help, do you know if there is any cheaper melt parts for the belted tail i can swap onto this thing instead of buying them from FSH
Dx6i
Old 02-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do not know of any cheaper parts that will fit the SR boom. I left my SR stock and built up two HK250GT's. The tail belts and rotor set are cheap on them but they seem to be holding up well. The boom diameter is smaller then the SR so the tail gear box and belt would not fit the SR. Some of the other guys may come up with a source for you. I did fly my SR today, in the garage hovering. After fighting my fbl Hk, the SR seems very stable and rock solid in hover. I still like it, tail wag and all.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nice day

Well finally when I got home from work today I was able to go out and fly a bit, I am really getting more and more comfortable with the sr, I dunno why people dog on this chopper so much, but I really enjoy it. I haven't been having this much fun in a longtime.
Dx6i
Old 02-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

The #1 complaint about the SR is tail blowout caused by the tail motor not responding quickly enough. You've now got a belt drive. That should cure any such problem. By the way, I have an SR that I picked up at auction for cheap money. My plan is to do the belt drive mod eventually and enjoy it. How was the kit quality?
rammon3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

To be honest the plastic is pretty cheap! But it is nice not have tail wag and replacing tail motors is lame, if u buy the plastic kit purchase the crash kits they sell. It's nice to be able to fix a broken part fast instead of waiting for a package from Australia
Dx6i
Old 03-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Slickgib, Which tail servo did you go with on your belt drive kit?
rgieg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in