Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion

Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers and Other Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #1101 (permalink)

Yes sir , that's what I thought after the first time it did it so I went back through and checked all my setting and they are correct.

It does it on spool up , usually I don't even get it fully spooled up before it goes all ape sh!t and wraps itself up. And let me tell you rebuilding a 700 aint nearly as cheap as a 450 , that's why I installed this second one on my Cobra ( currently without the fuselage just incase it was to go apeee).

Oh and another thing the unit on the 700 does what to connect the the PC software , I have to open and close the software many times before it finally will connect ( sometimes 10-12 times ) is this odd or what?
The one on the 450 connects on the first try , what do you make of this?

Last edited by Cap231ex; 03-18-2012 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: add info
Cap231ex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #1102 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had some free time this evening and went through the setup again. (I was having some problems initially discussed in post 1018) Some I think are fixed others are still giving me fits.

First I tried rebinding to see if this would solve the problem I was having with the first step in the usb programming. No luck. I still get between 94 97 for all stick controls in the programming screen that shows the monitor movement. Adjusting end points in the tx does at least not show any difference in the values on the programming screen. I guess I will just fly with it that way as I don't know what else to do and at least it is consistent in both directions for each control.

The other issue that I am having is with the cyclic servos. If I adjust the reverse settings in my tx as per the first step in the usb setup to get elevator, collective, aileron, and rudder moving in what the software shows is the correct direction I can not get the servos to actually move in the right directions. I needed to reverse ch 2 & 3 in the program. With that done collective inputs move all three servos in the same direction. Aileron control is correct, swash tilting right for right input and left for left. The problem I am having is that elevator inputs are reversed (elevator up tilts the swash back). Should I just go back into my tx menu and change the elevator setting from reverse back to normal? Am I missing something?

As far as my tx I created a new heli model and set the swash type to single servo 90 degree. No mixes are on and dual rates are at 100%. The only changes I have made in the tx are in the reverse menu to get the monitor travels in step one on the usb programming to move correctly.
GBKSU is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 03:59 AM   #1103 (permalink)
Registered Users

RE check you have the correct servo wire in the correct slot of your receiver. Look in the program and go to the swash tab, look at the servo assignment in there and ensure you have the servo set to the swash in the correct manner then check your wires go into the correct slot on the receiver, check that by your radio manual. Then check you have the small single wire leads going to the correct slots. Check you have the gyro installed in the correct manner in your heli, and it matches the gyro position you have selected in the installation tab on the pc.
Then set up your heli as per the programme, try now to get your cyclic to move in the correct sense by reversing on the pc the correct channels to get correct movement. Now if your pitch is reversed at this point go to the collective pitch tab and move the slider in the opposite direction this will reverse the pitch, you could also try it in your radio, and see if that gives you the correct direction, mine wouldn't so i had to use the slider. Note in later setup you also use this slider to adjust the travel of your collective pitch range.
Busher is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #1104 (permalink)
Registered Users

How much collective and cyclic pitch should be dialed in? I was running +-12 collective and +-7 on cyclic when it was a flybar heli, should I keep those pitch ranges the same? Do you use the swash travel tab in the programming to adjust cyclic pitch?
Old 03-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #1105 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBKSU View Post
How much collective and cyclic pitch should be dialed in? I was running +-12 collective and +-7 on cyclic when it was a flybar heli, should I keep those pitch ranges the same? Do you use the swash travel tab in the programming to adjust cyclic pitch?
What size heli/main blades?
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #1106 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I used that as a starting point for my 450, and it works well, I will use the same settings on my 500 when the head arrives.
Have you got the correct throws and directions sorted now?
And yes you do use the swash travel to adjust the throw on your cyclics
Old 03-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #1107 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher View Post
I used that as a starting point for my 450, and it works well, I will use the same settings on my 500 when the head arrives.
Have you got the correct throws and directions sorted now?
And yes you do use the swash travel to adjust the throw on your cyclics
Got the throws worked out. Double check wiring and went through the setup again. Didn't change anything but toggled the servo directions for all three back and forth and it started working correctly. Don't know why the elevator was not correct, but it is now.

Dr. M
325mm Blades

I think for the most part I have it worked out. Compensations were correct so I just need to go back through and setup my pitch values. I read on raptortechnique.com that he suggest tuning down the tail deadband and swash accelaration values. Any thoughts on this? I am no 3D pilot, sport flying so if you have any values for the advance menu you think would be helpful I am all ears.

Thanks again for the help guys!!
Old 03-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #1108 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok.. This is what I understand after setting up beastx. And it actually makes sense too. Setup for max travel without binding in all directions. That helps the gyro correct max when needed. And you set limits in your tx.

I am gonna try the same on my tarot units.

Seems to make sense!
Goblin Gasser TRM VX310TT Align MJ Design DTS 700N 91 HZ-R 3D Blackout Extreme Gasser #4 MCPX BL 2 iX12

Gaba
Rahulgaba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #1109 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=GBKSU;3763369]Got the throws worked out. Double check wiring and went through the setup again. Didn't change anything but toggled the servo directions for all three back and forth and it started working correctly. Don't know why the elevator was not correct, but it is now.

Thats spooky as mine did the same, but it reversed the collective, it worked fine on the bench, but on its first flight the collective reversed and the heli would not take off, that was until I eased off the collective, the speed decayed and the heli tried to lift off. I realised what was going on and went for zero pitch and throttle hold, all was well and the heli was ok. I reconnected the software and changed the pitch direction andits been fine since.

I reduced my rc deadband to about 10, left the others as they were.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #1110 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher View Post
Thats spooky as mine did the same, but it reversed the collective, it worked fine on the bench, but on its first flight the collective reversed and the heli would not take off, that was until I eased off the collective, the speed decayed and the heli tried to lift off. I realised what was going on and went for zero pitch and throttle hold, all was well and the heli was ok. I reconnected the software and changed the pitch direction andits been fine since.

I reduced my rc deadband to about 10, left the others as they were.
That's the startup bug the Tarot firmware update is supposed to fix. What actually happened was your gyro changed conditions. Conditions are two sets of some of the parameters that you can quickly switch between and one of them is the collective range. If you are using a negative collective range and the gyro changes to condition 2, then the collective range will become the default of 70, which will reverse the collective.

The work around is to set both conditions to the same values. The fix is to upgrade the firmware.
KDS 550 VBar, 550E DHPS VBar, 550E DFC Pro VBar, 700E DFC HV iKon
beenflying is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #1111 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Got the throws worked out. Double check wiring and went through the setup again. Didn't change anything but toggled the servo directions for all three back and forth and it started working correctly. Don't know why the elevator was not correct, but it is now.

Dr. M
325mm Blades

I think for the most part I have it worked out. Compensations were correct so I just need to go back through and setup my pitch values. I read on raptortechnique.com that he suggest tuning down the tail deadband and swash accelaration values. Any thoughts on this? I am no 3D pilot, sport flying so if you have any values for the advance menu you think would be helpful I am all ears.

Thanks again for the help guys!!
A 450 for sports flying, go with 12-deg collective range and 8-deg cyclic. Pitch/roll agility 35-40. Then you might wanna do some fine tuning by feel in the D/R and expo. I'd start with 80% D/R and 35% expo and tune from there.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 03-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #1112 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
That's the startup bug the Tarot firmware update is supposed to fix. What actually happened was your gyro changed conditions. Conditions are two sets of some of the parameters that you can quickly switch between and one of them is the collective range. If you are using a negative collective range and the gyro changes to condition 2, then the collective range will become the default of 70, which will reverse the collective.

The work around is to set both conditions to the same values. The fix is to upgrade the firmware.
I am waiting for the software to be updated to include the upgrade, I am a bit worried about having a go at changing the software as it seems easy to mess it up and I am unsure how you can tell whether the upgrade was successful.
The other thing is I don't know which file is the correct upgrade file and also whether its a bib file or a hex file?
Other than that I suppose I could give it a try.
Once the upgrade has been done do you still have to copy all data to the other condition? or does this upgrade fix the possible switching of conditions?

Last edited by Busher; 03-19-2012 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: added question
Old 03-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #1113 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The general consensus on the boards is that the firmware upgrade takes care of the condition switching. Use the bin file and the tarot software 2.5.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 03-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #1114 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question

I think something's wrong with my CX 3X1000. After replacing 2 cyclic servo last nite because they were wiggling out of control, now the third is fluttering too, same symptoms as the other 2. I thought the servos died, as is common to the Henge 922s I use, but now I'm not so sure...

I took it up for a couple of packs to see what's going on and the heli just didn't fly right. It felt vague, unstable and even got the cyclic wobbles out of the blue towards the end of the second pack. I've got over 60 flights on this bird with no setup changes and tonight I got that weird pitch-twitch that's been reported before on here (shash moves all the way up for a fraction of a sec then comes back). This happened on the ground right after plugging in the pack, during preflight. I couldn't get it to do it again...

I gotta open up the box and see if anything's amiss. Anybody else had a well-performing unit all of a sudden start doing strage things?
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #1115 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. M View Post
The general consensus on the boards is that the firmware upgrade takes care of the condition switching. Use the bin file and the tarot software 2.5.
Well I bit the bullet and upgraded my software. It seems to have worked well and both my tarots are now on 2.5. I have only one worry now, do you have to put all the same values into each condition bank to avoid any condition switching problems that may arise and if so how do you copy one condition to the other, And can you still use Johns software to program the unit or am I stuck with the tarot software until Johns is updated to allow the condition switching?

A copy condition switch to all banks would be good here.

Thanks for the pointer in the right direction DR M & Beenflying.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #1116 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. M View Post
I've got over 60 flights on this bird with no setup changes and tonight I got that weird pitch-twitch that's been reported before on here (shash moves all the way up for a fraction of a sec then comes back).
That issue has caused 2 crashes on my 450.
I emailed Infinity Hobby about this issue, they sent me a new one and tracking shows it arrived today. Once I rebuild I will report back if the new unit does the same thing or not.
twentyafter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #1117 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default update on CX weirdness

I opened up the box and everything looked good except a little too much exposed wire where the Rx connectors come into the board. I coated the exposed wire with liquid electrical tape just to make sure. It's the red stuff right where the wires connect to the board.

Also painted the entire inside of the case with clear nail polish to prevent any other possible inadvertent shorts. Don't tell my wife

Flew two packs to test out and it seemed the twitching is gone. However, I brought the bird inside while under power to tweak some servo trims, and a fter a few minutes on the bench it started twitching again. Tail servo this time. I unplugged the pack and plugged right back in and the twitching was gone.

New hypothesis: thermal drift issues. Outside temp 37F, 85%RH light drizzle, inside 72F, bone-dry.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 03-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #1118 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dr. M, what about your BEC? Have you tried it on another one? Most weird problems turn out to be the power supply.
KDS 550 VBar, 550E DHPS VBar, 550E DFC Pro VBar, 700E DFC HV iKon
beenflying is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #1119 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good point, bf. I haven't considered the BEC. It's an old CX ESC with 3A BEC, nearly 2 y old and 200 packs on it. I guess it could very well be going out. I haven't noticed any power problems though.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 03-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #1120 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tarot 3 axis on GAUI425

Hey guys,

i have recently setup a GAUI 425 and would like to go flybarless with it.
I will buy the X4 head and am wondering whether to buy the beastx 7200BX (spektrum receiver gyro) or try the Torot zyx unit?

Thoughts???

I would also do the same on a mini titan v1.
timkhoffman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in