Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Fuselage Forum

Fuselage Forum Fuselage Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Cobra fuselage for Trex 450

Ok folks, share your wisedom. I have been beating my head againt the wall looking for a crobra fuse for a trex 450. Other than very thin vacume formed plastic halves or the extremely propriatary mini Titan there is nothing to be found.

In a hobby where fiberglass fuses for 450s are sold all day long Is there a technical reason or any business reason why noby body make a cobra body for a 450?

I know this is coming over like a rant but that was not my intent. Any and all comments welcome.

Thank
wartoy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You might want to try Darth,s fuselage,s hope this helps
Old 11-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Darth's fuses are the thin vacume formed halves. Not saying that's bad. I want one the quality shown in better fiber glassed fuse as seen at arodyne. Iwas wonder since nobody offers a fiber cobra if there was a reason.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartoy View Post
Ok folks, share your wisedom. I have been beating my head againt the wall looking for a crobra fuse for a trex 450. Other than very thin vacume formed plastic halves or the extremely propriatary mini Titan there is nothing to be found.

In a hobby where fiberglass fuses for 450s are sold all day long Is there a technical reason or any business reason why noby body make a cobra body for a 450?

I know this is coming over like a rant but that was not my intent. Any and all comments welcome.

Thank
Probably not any specific reason. FG for the 450 size in most cases is to Heavy for the 450 size. Could be just no one got around to making one. The lighter weighing fuselages are more Idea for the 450 size . Another thing is that the Cobra has a lower sitting tail boom and in the case of most 450 size helis may require a mod or two . You really just cant add an elevated tail to an existing 450 chassis and expect it to work .
Darthdrk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey darth! I knew you would have a good answer. Again I want to say there is nothing wrong at all with your fuses. I have never been able to cut vacume formed haves straight and I will never get them to fit right. That's why I am desperate for a ready made fb fuse like what aerodyne makes. If i could deal with your fuses I would have 3 of them.

Thanks again
Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ive been doing alot of custom builds for people who like yourself dont want to deal with the assembly side of it. Even in offering the fuselages in Kit form, Ive been doing trim work enough to where the individual shouldnt have to worry about getting the lines straight, They are already precut straight and ready for assembly.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I may have to try one of yours out some time!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Darth, you totally rock for participating in this forum.

If you aren't familiar with Darth's work already, just Google him, he is a total scale heli rockstar.

The Cobra presents several challenges - mainly the elevated tail. Also, the tight fitting fuse does not lend itself well to the typical dual frame 450 chassis.
Stone Axe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been wanting a fiberlgass Cobra as well. Besides Airwolf being number one, the Hughey Cobra and the Hughes 500MD are my favorite helicopters. I've already got a nice Hughs 500 fiberglass fuse, so a Cobra would be a nice addition.
I'm on the same page as wartoy, I don't like assembling those two-halved fuselages.
Back when I got into helicopters with Centuries Hummingbird Airwolf, there was a guy that was making some pretty sweet Airwolf bodies for the Hummingbird with a nice retract kit. I could never get the trim right, and I could never get those halves glued together. Plus, I could never have gotten it as nice as his demo model was. It wasn't you Darth, but it was somebody else making scale fuselages for helicopters.
Now we need some for the 120Sr.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Only others making fuselages that small back then was myself, JMD and I think Century had a couple for the hummingbird.
I do offer assembly assist.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

DARTH does kickass work.. he custom made some wasp and antennas for my trex500 109....
Old 11-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not to hijack but where can you buy good decent-looking light-weight thermo-formed fuses for a 450? I'd like to find a nice Jet Ranger.

I currently have a FG version on order from Facu but I plan on saving that for a more higly detailed scaler. I'd like the thermo for a good daily flier so that i wouldnt be too bummed if I crashed it.

Thanks.
hellafreaky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellafreaky View Post
Not to hijack but where can you buy good decent-looking light-weight thermo-formed fuses for a 450? I'd like to find a nice Jet Ranger.

I currently have a FG version on order from Facu but I plan on saving that for a more higly detailed scaler. I'd like the thermo for a good daily flier so that i wouldnt be too bummed if I crashed it.

Thanks.
Here,s a place i don't know how heavy they are i got one on it's way to me now hope this helpsWow iam sorry http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/index.php?cPath=352_315
Old 11-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

What place?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default t-rex 450 cobra

I've also have been looking for a Cobra fuselage that I could mate with Trex450 mechanics. Trex450 tail booms exit too high for a scale Cobra and I believe that is the reason we dont see any fuselages for 450 Align/clone mechanics. Also as stated above, the Cobra fuse is quite narrow and the double-frame 450 would be quite a tight fit. With this in mind I've made modified mechanics (with the help of CNC water-jet cutters) that are based on the 450 Pro frame. It is narrow and lends itself well to the purpose. I've started calling it a "450 Lowboy" as the tail boom exits the frame almost an inch and a half lower than stock mechanics.
I've noticed quite a few others with this same interest as I have in the Cobra / Trex combo. I will most certainly post video if anyone is interested in the concept. As it is, I just registered for this site today and I was not prepared to post pics, yet. Pics are forthcoming.

Mike
n1977m is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Varc, many of the CX fuselages are perfect for the 120SR. I have been building one of Mike Manrow's AH-1 Cobra fuses for my 120 and it's coming out very nice. You just need to take your time trimming the parts. I too appreciate Darth and the others who produce some of these fuselages we might not have at all.On my Cobra, I ditched the boom and mounted the tail motor like Darth does on his 450s.God I love this "freaking" hobby!!!!!!!!!

EXI 450 Beater / 450 EC-135 / 450 OH-58 Kiowa / 450 MD 500 / EXI 450 AH-6 Little Bird / EXI 500 (the flying woodchipper!) / HK500GT UH-1E Huey / EXI 500 EC-135/ Love the scale!
dfgipe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1977m View Post
I've also have been looking for a Cobra fuselage that I could mate with Trex450 mechanics. Trex450 tail booms exit too high for a scale Cobra and I believe that is the reason we dont see any fuselages for 450 Align/clone mechanics. Also as stated above, the Cobra fuse is quite narrow and the double-frame 450 would be quite a tight fit. With this in mind I've made modified mechanics (with the help of CNC water-jet cutters) that are based on the 450 Pro frame. It is narrow and lends itself well to the purpose. I've started calling it a "450 Lowboy" as the tail boom exits the frame almost an inch and a half lower than stock mechanics.
I've noticed quite a few others with this same interest as I have in the Cobra / Trex combo. I will most certainly post video if anyone is interested in the concept. As it is, I just registered for this site today and I was not prepared to post pics, yet. Pics are forthcoming.

Mike
i would be very interested in seeing your work. i have wanted an older cobra for a while. but i cant get a tail lowering kit anywhere. lets see what you got.
drakonis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

All of the comments here are correct regarding a Cobra fuse for a 450.

I have a TT Cobra and can say while the fuse is a great compromise it is exactly that, a compromise.

It is specifically tailored for the Mini Titan and the elevated tail is a marvel, and works well. The unit flys very well too.

The biggest barrier to a true scale 450 fuse IMO would be the diameter of the main gear. The TT unit is bulged at the sides to accomodate the gear and are very obvious if you look, but are somewhat hidden by the scale wing stubs and missiles. A T-Rex with it's double stacked frames AND the bulging gear would not have a hope I feel. The Cobra is too narrow for 'glass IMO.

I reckon you would have a better chance with a 500
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Helis0012.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	313630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Helis0020.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	313631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Helis0021.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	313632  
Old 05-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sure that most realize that there will never be a "truly scale" 450 Cobra because of the main gear however the TT Cobra is pretty much all there is out there for a 450 Cobra. I say a compromise is better than nothing. With the main gear located 1.25" above the tail boom C/L there just might stand a chance to locate the main gear inside of the engine nacelles (or slightly lowered nacelles) on a Whiskey or Zulu version. I wholly agree with you about the T-rex double-stacked frame but the Pro frame is a different story. I'll get some pics of my Lo-boy and elevated tail setup on here asap and check it and see what you think.
n1977m is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hers a pic of my AH-1S and it flies excellent.
And I have a vid of it here: [ame]http://youtu.be/MxMLXp3Rgu4[/ame]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDR_0132.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	313686   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDR_0133.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	313687  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in