Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X5

X5 Discussion and support of the Gaui X5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navajo31 View Post
Hi,
No longer today but yesterday, i flew my first backward, inverted circles, in both directions!!!!
Amazing, I did the same!
Phoenix R/C v5
helidude71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I started inverted flying at Christmas and two days ago flew my first max collective inverted backwards hurricanes in my 12S X5...did about 5 continuous and it was awesome...heli was really covering some ground! Awesome stuff! I naturally a silly grin on my face afterwards.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:53 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by helidude71 View Post
Amazing, I did the same!
Looks like I am way behind....
JR XG14 PL8 v2
mverhorst is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I gave up trying to get the SK540 governor to work, and installed the Ikon FBL unit I was saving for my Goblin 500 in the X5. I'll fight the SK540 governor again on the Goblin next week and see if I have better luck.

It's a bit rainy today, but I may sneak out and try to give her a couple of good flights in between showers.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I crashed it

Hadn't had a bad crash in a LONG time. My last "incident" was doing a baby auto a few months back and dropped it in a little hard. It bounced back into the air but had broken one side of the stock gear. Headspeed was unwinding and I just set it back down on the good gear and held it level as long as I could. When it finally dropped onto the blades it barely scratched one of them. I have TREX 500 gear on it now.

Anyway I was beating up on the poor little thing when it began flipping on it's own. I had no elevator control. It did two or three flips and I decided to hit TH and let it die. It must have lost most of its head speed when it hit inverted in a plowed field. One main blade bent like a Z (the other unscratched, elevator servo gear set, one broken pitch link, one tail umbrella gear, a mildly bent feathering shaft. Without going through it yet that appears to be the sum damage.

Tough heli
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Four flights on the X5 this morning. First time with Vbar gov. Such a nice slow spool up with the Hobbywing now.
The gain was way too low on default. I am running the stock 15 tooth pinion which was no good. I need the 16 tooth. The head speed in normal mode was so low I was getting a cyclic shaking.

All and all a good morning. Some tweaking tonight and back tomorrow morning.

Flew with my friend Rob who just got a Heli Command unit from www.rchelicanada.com. He was doing set-up flights as well but likes it so far. He is comming from Vbar. I will have to keep my eye on that. He felt his heli was more locked in than with Vbar. He will be testing the bailout tomorrow. Can't wait wait to see that!

Last edited by S.Millar; 04-30-2013 at 01:45 PM..
S.Millar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another four flights this morning.

Vbar Gov is running great! The gain is almost there. A bit more.

My balance is a bit tail heavy probably due to the aluminum cased servos. I have moved everything as far forward as I can get it. Going to have to use some sticky lead under the battery tray to get it the rest of the way. Piros are not axial right now so I have no other choice.

Rob tested the bail-out on is Heli command today. I am totally impressed. It worked great. By the end of the morning he was doing full piro flips and using the bail-out if he felt uncomfortable. Totally transformed his flying. Way more confident now. We were thinking this would be a great option for some of the guys at the club just getting started. I'm thinking it would be good for me too.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome! Glad to hear Rob is liking the HeliCommand unit!

I'm also glad all is going very well with your X5.
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wasn't sure what to expect when I got the X5. Nobody in this area even talked about Gaui. I even got poo pooed a bit when I mentioned that I wanted one.
But now I am totally sold. For the price of parts, kit finish, and performance it tics all the boxes for me. Some guys are now giving it a serious look after my experiance.

"Gaui Grin" is not just a corny saying. Loving it!

Last edited by S.Millar; 05-01-2013 at 08:02 PM..
S.Millar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I find it odd that Gaui's are unpopular. Aligns, SAB, Compass, even Blade etc are all really popular but Gaui...I'm the only person that I've met that owns them. Everyone passes them up for some reason...the X5 has been out for about 3 years!

People are really missing out IMHO as they are high quality, priced well and fly great. The X5 prob flys as good as the G500 (so best in class) and has a seriously good package for the money...$999 for the full Formula combo is pretty impressive and extremely hard to top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smillar View Post
I wasn't sure what to expect when I got the X5. Nobody in this area even talked about Gaui. I even got poo pooed a bit when I mentioned that I wanted one.
But now I am now totally sold. For the price of parts, kit finish, and performance it tics all the boxes for me. Some guys are now giving it a serious look after my experiance.

"Gaui Grin" is not just a corny saying. Loving it!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailureToFly View Post
The X5 prob flys as good as the G500
I own both X5 and G500, X5 out fly's the Goblin 500 when both are in stock form IMO. There is absolutely no comparison. They both weigh the same (My X5 & G500 weigh exactly the same +/- 15g without battery, goblin was actually heavier by around 15g), but the goblin has thin chorded blades that are shorter (42mmX500mm). Disc loading on the X5 is WAY better, and I can feel it immediately when switching from one machine to the other.

The goblin is neat no doubt, but as far as raw performance/Feel, the X5 is just better over all IMO. Dont get me wrong, I like the G500, its a treat to fly, but when I want all out 3D performance, my X5 takes the cake in this size machine.

Dave
akamullen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Dave, thanks for posting that. I read your early post where you mentioned the G500 might take the crown away from your X5 but you had just tried the IKON and mentioned that that could be the contributing factor.

X5 really is a seriously good buy then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akamullen View Post
I own both X5 and G500, X5 out fly's the Goblin 500 when both are in stock form IMO. There is absolutely no comparison. They both weigh the same (My X5 & G500 weigh exactly the same +/- 15g without battery, goblin was actually heavier by around 15g), but the goblin has thin chorded blades that are shorter (42mmX500mm). Disc loading on the X5 is WAY better, and I can feel it immediately when switching from one machine to the other.

The goblin is neat no doubt, but as far as raw performance/Feel, the X5 is just better over all IMO. Dont get me wrong, I like the G500, its a treat to fly, but when I want all out 3D performance, my X5 takes the cake in this size machine.

Dave
Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I were forced to choose between the two models, I'd pick the X5 for the very reasons that Dave states.

I've built and flown both.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another 4 flights today. It seems like that is the magic number until my new charging equipment arrives. We get pushed out by the plankers at this field around that time as well. They force us off the main field over to the hovering spot off to the side. Booo!!!

The X5 is pirouetting better with a bit of lead to balance. Having a good time with it. Robs got his G500 with HeliCommand working well.

Back to work for the next few days.

Enjoy the weekend boys!!! Spring is officially here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Today1.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	417116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Today2.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	417117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Today3.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	417118  
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow...nobody flew this weekend???
Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did .... lots of flights ... and 2 dirt naps for me.

Compass 7HV managed to come back safely despite a loss of radio link.
Compass Warp 360 became a post hole auger when it lost radio link inverted.
Compass Atom 500 became a lawn dart when I stupidly turned off the hard deck function on the SK-720 to test something out. My bad.
Gaui X4 II did not go out for flying the second day ... I dared not until I get my radio issues figured out.

The Atom 500 is already back flying and re-maidened as of last night ... it is living life as a 5.5 now.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Did my first loop... Finally...
JR XG14 PL8 v2
mverhorst is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

More radio issues?

Your having a bad run of luck.

You have a lot of fixing to do. Got thing you have the parts.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default What Did You Do With Your X5 Today??

I had 4 good flights on the X5 this weekend. Let another guy at the field fly it and he definitely came down with the Gaui Grin! I know a couple of nitro guys at the field are now looking into purchasing an X5 after seeing mine fly, even next to the Goblin 500!

I pulled up the Ikon settings when I got home from the field yesterday and just realized I was running the default expo in the unit (20% on cyclic, 0 on rudder), so I fixed that and setup the expo in my TX. Also dialed the cyclic gain down a bit, had some wobbles on tic-toc's, then enabled self-level for the third setup mode, going to try it out this week if i get bored and do some tuning flights, or this weekend at the field so I have an audience if it goes south on me.

Loving the X5, the power on a 12 cell setup is insane! I fly it as hard as I can and everything comes down barely warm to the touch. 2400 HS normal flying, IU2 @ 2550 for the last minute of flight. 2200 mAh packs come down at 3.78 per cell after 4 mins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in