Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Are FBL blades really needed?

I have seen a few threads on this and to me it seems like they would be needed more on larger heli's, but I'm relatively new to heli's so I could very well be completely wrong.

I am new to FBL as well, just converted my 450 Pro. I have not had it out for a flight yet, only a test hover. Right away I noticed how much more responsive it was. I currently have some cheap CF blades that came with my friends Chaos 450 Pro kit, and was wondering it FBL blades would really make that much of a difference on a 450 size bird, and what differences might I experience.

I'm sure this is a controversial subject and it's all going to come down to personal preference, but what have you guys experienced?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: If anyone has a link to some cheap CF FBL blades that perform well post it up! I might just want to see the difference (if any) myself.
twentyafter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have two flybarless helis, a 450 and a 500. I did the conversion and kept the original blades. I've never seen a reason to go to the so-called flybarless blades. Just my personal experience, I'm sure others will ring in.
65L88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have two 450 pro's, both FBL, right now one has align 3G fbl blades the other has just the regular align 325's. I have also used the edge fbl blades and to be perfectly honest I don't really see the need for them. I pretty much just fly whatever blades I have laying around, including the cheap HK fg and cf blades. They all work just fine.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyafter View Post

I'm sure this is a controversial subject
Uh, yeah:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...ight=snake+oil
Harbormaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had both the regular and FBL blades on my 450.

You can tell a very small amount of difference. Not really worth it, IMHO.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

with my 3GX, I find blades makes the largest effect on how the heli flies. FBL blades are very stable, but don't hit very hard. I prefer a heavy FB blade, like the Align 325 Pro blade for a 450. Light 3D blades are a mess, unless one changes settings in the FBL controller. In hard maneuvers, the 3D blades become somewhat unpredictable, causing my 450 to slap, overshoot, etc.

I have tried both FB and FBL blades on larger helis and the differences are much LESS drastic.
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cullen,

That is very interesting about the 3GX-I did not think that the various flybarless electronic units might behave differently with the FBL vs. non-FBL blades.

Mine was with a BeastX, by the way.

Always good to read your posts, sir!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Cullen,

That is very interesting about the 3GX-I did not think that the various flybarless electronic units might behave differently with the FBL vs. non-FBL blades.

Mine was with a BeastX, by the way.

Always good to read your posts, sir!
RIchard, I've had no issues with the BeastX, but I have only tried 2 types of blades as the Beast is mounted on my 6HV, whcih I don't crash much and blades are expensive.

On the 450, blades are cheap and I crash my 450 a lot, apparently. 3 bad crashes in 3 weeks, over $200 in parts (and canopies/blades).

I look forward to trying the new Compass blades on my 7HV, flying Mavrikk 690 FB blades ATM. Stiff and fast, but a bit hungry. I like them, they are crisp, but again, on the 3GX, they misbehave in SOME hard manuevers, say a wall from 70mph that I push through into a rainbow, things get a bit unstable, but don't know if FBL blades would remedy this. They would on a 450.
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting Cullen!

I have the BeastX on an EXI 450 with an Align head on it. I am wondering if the 3GX is more sensitive to the different types of blades?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

The blades I have are very light, don't know exact weight but they feel lighter than others I have had. Sounds like it would at least benefit from a heavier blade.

Set from my Samsung Galaxy S using Tapatalk
twentyafter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a long, long talk with one of the lead techs at Youngblood about two years ago. I run Radix 350s on one of my 6s stretches. He flat out told me that the differences in the fbl to flybarred blades were so imperceptible that there were only a very few elite pilots who could tell the difference. He in essence told me not to worry about it and buy either or both of them.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
I had a long, long talk with one of the lead techs at Youngblood about two years ago. I run Radix 350s on one of my 6s stretches. He flat out told me that the differences in the fbl to flybarred blades were so imperceptible that there were only a very few elite pilots who could tell the difference. He in essence told me not to worry about it and buy either or both of them.
+1. This hobby has more gimmicks than golfing. "Buy this driver and you will hit it longer and straighter." Seriously, Just through some blades on it and fly it like you stole it.
Felt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt View Post
This hobby has more gimmicks than golfing .... Seriously, Just through some blades on it and fly it like you stole it.

that made my day
Do you mind if I quote you in my sig?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Interesting Cullen!

I have the BeastX on an EXI 450 with an Align head on it. I am wondering if the 3GX is more sensitive to the different types of blades?
So, for those of you wo still think there are differences btwn fbl and fb blades, I agree.

I just rebuilt my 3GX equipped 450 and threw some A325D bldes on it, which were unpredictable, a bit unstable and VERY quick. I had to adjust stop gains, roll /flip rates and Bell/Hiller settings, but now these blades fly quite well.

IMO, for what I is worth, on a smaller heli, blades make a difference. Wil they all work, sure, but depending on what you are requesting of your machine may tax you FBL unit differently w/ different blades.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have 450pro fbl and lots of crash, do some hard 3D, experience lots of blades i say difference is minor i found non-fbl blade with good airfoil is better than some fbl blade like align 3g blades
heavy blade make run time short.
So get cheap good airfoil blades regardless of type. Period.
chan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Collin Mills...that's all I have to say. Those who wanna know about the aerodynamic differences between FB and FBL blades read his articles. He explains it nicely. Go to the middle of the article.

http://www.w3mh.co.uk/articles/html/csm9-11.htm
Mike2112 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steemo View Post

that made my day
Do you mind if I quote you in my sig?
Sure...Go for it. Just replace through with throw, so you don't look like a dumb ass like me.
Felt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I converted my 600 nitro to FBL using the 3GX. The blades that were in the flybar kit are on it now. Flys beautifully! As a couple guys have already stated, the FBL blades have the weight placed a little differently as far as CG goes, but I know I'm not good enough to tell. Run whichever you have and enjoy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in