Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default First Invert ... First Crash ... Bad Servros now?

Yay... and poop.....

I did my first loop today...went swimmingly...perfect..it was great... I was like yay..that was easy.... did it again.....too low...not enough negative collective.... pow... tail blade strike...lift and spin.... hit throttle hold...crash....

My feathering shaft looks severely bent... one of the grips if like 30-40 degrees off... broke of right skid... tail servo connection rod at end broke where it connects to teh tail blade stuff.... One rear tail support rod broke. That's it for hardware... I think.... do people think I should try a new mainshaft too? This is an SE....stuff looks ok so far other than that...

HOWEVER... my servos are now "sticking" and "click" really bad when I move them by hand. I have Hitec HS-56B. I believe I have read these are crappy plastic and strip easy.... which is probably what happened here. My tail servo, Futaba 9650 seems fine. But my HS56's are apparently crap now yes? Recommendations on replacements please?

Anyhow... just stoked I went inverted finally...it was extremely cool...next time I will remain calmer...heh...

Please help me on what to do here after my first real crash,... I guess had to happen sometime..heh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You stripped your servo gears. You can bur replacement gears for around five dollars a set. If you want to upgrade to a different servo most are using the 65's. They come in standard and metal gear. You will strip the standard from time to time. I have never used the metal so I can not personally say how they hold up. I would think they would be stronger, but consider this: something has to break. If you are not stripping servo gears it could be something else.

I would definitely check your main shaft, main bearings, tail shaft, tail case bearings, your timing belt, and tail blades.
ckoelliker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Heh what tail blades.... Those are gone...
I will have to check the case and such....
I hope my bearings aren't bad... I just replaced my main gear and bearings...heh.

Also the "button" on top of my main shaft is gone... The head itself overall seems ok other than feathering shaft... Does anyone know what I need to replace for that? I looked at readyheli and it seems that part is like the enter top block and stuff....$$$$....

comet
Old 03-16-2007, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't think the button comes separately from Align. I did that too and stripped the threads in the hole. I tapped and put a slightly longer one int (the one that comes with it I think). I got the uH one.

http://www.rchover.com/inc/sdetail/24871

If you don't have to have carbon tail blades the black plastic Align's are good and the Gorilla gear one look cool if you like bright colors. Get them to match Gorilla Gear paddles.
Gary JP4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Better yet get the Landing gear, paddles, and tail rotors all together when you order the gear. Pick the gear to buy (put into card) and there will be options for the paddles, and tail rotors. Get them all at once and color coordinated and I think you get a discount that way. I got the tall and short gear for the nose down look.

http://www.rchover.com/inc/searchres...0gear&n=199764

Look at my gallery. I don't have a pic with the canopy on but it matches pretty close too. I'll see if I can put a pic of the finished bird in.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mmm ok I may just replace it then. I'm also noticing the small tail assembly part I need is plastic and it is connected to a metal part which conencts to the grips... Online it looks like both parts are plastic only...although I guess I can use my alu part since that piece of it is still good...

This will be the first time I take the head apart...will be fun...
Old 03-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Great to see the loop! Congrats! Too bad it ended bad.

Check you frame too. Sometimes frame cracks go unnoticed at first.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I will definitely check over the frame tho I looked pretty close and haven't seen anything. I wasn't that high...hence my crash or I probabl would have recovered...heh. :|

Also what are peoples thoughts on the skids. I know Gorrilla Gear skids are popular. There's also the stronger more durable skids on the ReadyHeli site.... and of course the junky align ones. Is it better to get cheaper and "let it break" to help absorb the shock of a crash... or are these other skids malleable enough that they absorb the impact, and yet don't break and don't force the break into the frame....

I guess my thought is that it's good to have plastic parts here and there. Like the linkage to tail grip piece that I broke did so because it's plastic but it probably saved the rest of my tail assembly from real damage to the aluminum because it took the force no?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats on the LOOOOP! Good work.

bummer on the crash

The head button is excess weight ... don;t sweat it.. I think I have ONE on three Trexes.

Buy HS56 gears... buy several more than you need... they do get stripped. Bob (Finless) has a nice video showing how to replace them.

The only other option is to splurge and buy HS65MGs but you can buy a LOT of gears for what that will cost you. Admittedly the 65MGs will save on rebuilding servo time but economics wise the gear sets are probably a good way to go until you trash the servos or wear 'em out.
ukgroucho is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Michael, Did you see my post above on the Gorilla Gear. You can get them with the paddles, and tail rotor blades at a discount.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
The only other option is to splurge and buy HS65MGs but you can buy a LOT of gears for what that will cost you. Admittedly the 65MGs will save on rebuilding servo time but economics wise the gear sets are probably a good way to go until you trash the servos or wear 'em out.
Buy the 65mgs. It will take you 15-20 minutes to rebuild each servo you strip on most bad crashes. Rebuilding servos gets old quick. I know, I held out for 3 months. It wasn't worth it. Spend the few bucks extra and spend your time on something more fun!

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2007, 09:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think I more than paid for a set of 65MGs by buying gear sets for the 56s. As Rick said, the time and money just aren't worth it. I wish I would have bought the 65MGs in the beginning but I hadn't researched these threads until after the purchase. That would have saved some money in the long run.
Spektrum DX7

BruceW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2007, 10:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've just rebuilt my 3 HS-56HB (bought several sets in case), it's cool to do it yourself and experience the "how to" but even though I'm really patient, I'd get fed up if I had to fix'em several times as these gears look so fragile that a fart would probably strip a whole set :wink:
Old 03-17-2007, 01:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just had a minor crash and stripped all my plastic servo gears. gonna skip replacing gears and i'll buy the HS65mg servos this time.

Anybody want to buy 3 stripped DS285 servos cheap? :mrgreen:
bullaculla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2007, 03:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

How cheap?

And where do people fly on Oahu? I will be out there next week. My Mom is from Kaimuki.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2007, 04:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is an airfield out in kailua, about 30-45 minute drive from Kaimuki depending on traffic, and an electric field out in Eva beach (far) but its basically a local park where they allow (tolerate) electric aircraft to fly. :mrgreen:
bullaculla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cool thanks guys... my local expert said the same thing, rebuilding gears is a pain, guess I know what to do then. Gary yeah I saw your post about the gorrilla gear... I was just wondering if anyone else had an opinion on them too but I do recall seeing other posts in the past with people really liking them.

Thanks everyone...order time... heh
Old 03-17-2007, 09:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ha ok I went to RC Hover to order the gorrilla gear...they have a finless video on there showing the comparisons of all the stuff by finless... now I see. Gorrilla Gear definitely the way to go...hahaha... Thanks
Old 03-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #19 (permalink)

I was just pointing out the package deal on Gear, paddles, and tail rotor blades.

The gear is great. I had the bump resistant Align gear for a year and finally broke them. The paddles are better then the Align ones I had and I like the weight system. The tail rotor blades may not be any better than any others but I think they look cool matching the gear and paddles (assuming you like the wild colors).
Old 03-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cool... yeah I ordered black... I decided I prefer that for now...but looking forward to trying it out.

Here's a picture of my feathering shaft...yes...bent...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bentfeatheringshaft.jpg (97.0 KB, 40 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in