Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Rotation View Post
Very sorry to hear this happened to you, glad you're OK.

It's good you posted your story. There's another thread out there in which certain people seem to believe that a 450 can't inflict serious harm. Maybe this will change their opinions.
Is that really what they are saying or is their message that bigger helis are potentially even more dangerous. Only the mcpx class and possibly the Blade 130 class cause relatively minor injuries. 450s pack quite a wallup and 700s exponentially more.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I fist started flying many years ago 25+ years ago my mentor at the time cautioned me to be careful when I got in trouble in flight. He said it's just humane nature when panicked to subconsciously try to bring back the out of control aircraft. And some people fly the aircraft right into themselves (blame your muscle memory on this).

Well 20 some years later I proved his theory right on as I flew my foamie right into myself, Leaving similar injuries to myself. Same Bloody Tx but I only sliced my left index finger needing 10 stitches.

I have gotten much better at staying in control since I got into helis. What ever happens, Boom brace looses a screw and it hanging there, loose orientation, muffler falls off lol. Whatever, Remind yourself not to panic relax as much as you can. You have a better chance of gaining control.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good news is I'm totally healed up - was flying my T-28 last weekend, and I'm fixing the 450 now. Hope to get it back in the air next weekend.

The scar is a little tight and stiff, but otherwise I've got full function.

I'm gonna try to spend more time in the sim on a regular basis. I think I need to have a bit more comfort and confidence, and fly in real life a bit further below my skill level in the sim.

Just always keep it one level more conservative at the field than I am in the sim.

But I'm looking forward to getting back to it. I was lucky, and I'm going to take full advantage of the fact I was lucky. I could be grounded if it was just slightly worse, but I'm not, so I'm going to count my blessings and be thankful that I can get back out there.
DX8
FFF_Ferret is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #24 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Glad to hear it, FFF!

Old 07-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: 450 sent me to the ER yesterday...

Good to hear you did get well soon.. Good to hear you're not quiting. Thank you for your story. Helps people to be aware these are not toys.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Finally fixed the heli yesterday - an all-day job. Never seen so many things broken in one crash. If it weren't for the fact that the electronics were all still working, I would have just bought a completely new one. It wouldn't have taken any more time to build it from new.

Anyway, went out to the flying site, hung out with the guys, but it's way too windy today to maiden the thing with any confidence. NOT the best conditions for my first day back behind the controls of this heli. Bummer. I was totally ready to fly today. Fingers crossed for next weekend.
DX8
FFF_Ferret is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 03:49 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear about this and glad it wasn't too bad..I was also wackd by my 450 Pro and like you said,happend so fast I couldn't react.Being as you didn't hit throttle hold,your VERY lucky the radio took most of the hit because im sure it would of took your thumb right off your hand from the looks of the pics..I'll post the video in a min but when mine hit the ground,I hit throttle hold right away..The heli lost around half its headspeed after bouncing off the ground and was still moving faster than I could react..Even after loosing half its headspeed,it jumped up about 4 ft,cut my hand pretty good in a few spots and nicked the tendon..If I didn't hit throttle hold,I would of been screwed big time..Another ft or so it would of got my neck/throat and I might not be here typing this..
..................NWS.......................

450 hit me... (0 min 49 sec)

Anyways,glad your all better and got it fixed..How did the maiden go??
Old 10-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

MAN!!!!!!!!!! F'n A is right!! Glad your ok man!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in