Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 12s 25,000mah 1110Watt Charging?

Want to know if there are any 12s chargers out there?

Building a custom battery pack, 12s5p with a bunch of 6s 5000mah batts for a EV project and was wondering if there is a charger that can handle 12s for a start and then one that could handle anywhere from 5Ah (222Watts) to 25Ah (1110Watts). I dont want to have to charge the packs sepeartly as 6s. Any suggestions?
randomjesso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 04:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Charge them as 6S in parallel. That's what we do nowadays!

http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguy...allel-charging
Jotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

if i was gonna parallel charge this pack as a 6s it would need a charger that could do 50Ah!, plus would make it more of a hassle to have to change the wiring setup every time i charged from 12s to 6s
Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

who makes 1000watt chargers?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomjesso View Post
if i was gonna parallel charge this pack as a 6s it would need a charger that could do 50Ah!, plus would make it more of a hassle to have to change the wiring setup every time i charged from 12s to 6s
You speak of Ah as something that needs done, but it is actually more size of a storage container that needs filled. You can charge a 100,000Ah pack with a small charger, it will just take a long time. For your needs you can charge even your huge pack with any 6s charger out there. You will just need to disconnect the pack from its series wiring and reconnect both parallel sets in parallel. Then charge away.

There is one 12s charger for you to look at, the Hyperion 1420i. It is a 550W charger and will charge your 12s pack at 11A. It would take 2 to 2.5 hours to charge a 12s5p 25000mAh pack at full output.

If you split the packs, you have 2 choices. First you could wire the 2 sets in parallel and charge them with something like the FMA PL8. That would give you a 1000A charge rate and charge the pack in 1 to 1.25 hours. Or you could use a dual port charger like the Hyperion SDuo3 and charge each 6s set on a side at 500W. Again that would take 1-1.25 hours.

Those are your only "big" charger options at this time.
Stuff: Spektrum DX7 - iCharger 208B - Hyperion G3
TJinGuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

i know what you mean by not needing the actual amount of Ah for the pack but time take to charge was a important point for this project. Thanks a tone for the charger models though, exactly what im after
Old 07-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want a >1000W charger, look at the PowerLab 8 or the dual PL8. The PL8 will do 1344W is you feed it with at least a 40VDC power. The Dual PL8 has two channels that will do 1344W each. If you wanted to use both channels you need to isolate the packs for each channel.
The limits on each channels are:
  • 1344W
  • 40A charging current
  • 8S battery (33.6V charging voltage)

If you use the DPL8, and you design your packs to charge as 2 6S packs in parallel, (like many RC heli folks people do with 12S helis.) You could use both channels of the DPL8 and charge your "12S pack" at 40A, which would be not quite a 2C charge rate for your stated max of a 25Ah pack. If you want to charge several of these at a time, you can gang several DPL8s together and control them all with a single UI.
kirby_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

with icharger 4010 in synronous mode you can do 70 amp charging. on 6S that is 1700W.

or you can split the pack in 2 pieces, and charge them 40 amp each with the 2 channels of the charger.
Gtamas90 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2015, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This thread is 4 years old!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in