Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand

bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand Factory Sponsored Bavarian DEMON and HeliCommand Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HC3 SX Left Sat Port Not Working (SOLVED) but strange

Hi all,
I just recently updated to the new firmware in my HC3 SX and went through the setup process again, at this point I ran into a big problem when I tried to rebind my DSM2 sats. I could not get it to work and noticed that only the right sat would flash after a power cycle. I then did a rebind on another RX and plugged them back in when it all seemed to work.. Then I noticed that if I unplugged the right sat, that the left sat (closest to the PC data port) would still be lit solid but nothing was happening when moving anything on the TX. Reattaching the right sat got everything working again and unplugging the left had no effect on the functioning right sat port. Swapping the 2 sats and introducing others had no effect on the non-functioning left sat port.

So to cut a long story short – there is power on the left sat port but there is absolutely no data, and trying to bind or use a prebound sat in this port will not work- only the right port is working.
Has anyone come across this problem? Do you think it has been like this for some time or the firmware update has knocked it out?
Thanks
Steve

Last edited by steven0db; 05-11-2012 at 04:24 AM..
steven0db is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Steve,

sounds to me like too low voltage. Make sure you have min. 5.5V on the system when using sats.
Which firmware do you run currently?

Joachim
DEMONjoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim HC View Post
Hi Steve,

sounds to me like too low voltage. Make sure you have min. 5.5V on the system when using sats.
Which firmware do you run currently?

Joachim
Voltage is 6 volts via reg and as I have recently upgraded the firmware it's version 116

Why would a low voltage condition effect the sat data on the left port only and not the right???
Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cause then there would not be enough power throught the system to the sats.

What you could try is bind both sats on the main receiver (in case you have one, this deletes the bind settings from the HC) and then try once again.
Make sure that you use the correct pulsrate, so in case you bind DSMX, use 11ms pulserate in the Tx. If you bind DSM2 use 22ms.

Except for that, I am running out of ideas for now, sorry.

Joachim
Old 05-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my first post I mention the only way to get it working is to bind both sats on an external receiver.
1 - I then install them on the HC3 SX
2 - I turn the transmitter on and both sats light solid and everything works
3 - unplug the right sat and nothing works even though the left sat still has a solid light
4 - Plug the right sat back in and unplug the left sat and everything works fine
Conclusion - there appears to be no data on the left sat port on the HC3 SX after the firmware update to 116.
Note - left sat port is the one closest to the PC data port.

Quote:
Cause then there would not be enough power throught the system to the sats.

What you could try is bind both sats on the main receiver (in case you have one, this deletes the bind settings from the HC) and then try once again.
Make sure that you use the correct pulsrate, so in case you bind DSMX, use 11ms pulserate in the Tx. If you bind DSM2 use 22ms.

Except for that, I am running out of ideas for now, sorry.

Joachim
Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Steve,

I just tried what you explained above, bound the receivers on the HC in DSMX 11ms mode, both work and signals are on the Diagnose page. Detached the right one, still works, signals are there. Attach it again and detach the left one (which would not work for binding with only one sat!), and it still works.

Joachim
Old 05-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK,
That tells me that the connector is dead… I have swapped to 4 different JR DSM2 sats and cables with the same problem each time..
So, do I send this unit back to Helidirect or somewhere else?

Thanks
Steve

Quote:
Hi Steve,

I just tried what you explained above, bound the receivers on the HC in DSMX 11ms mode, both work and signals are on the Diagnose page. Detached the right one, still works, signals are there. Attach it again and detach the left one (which would not work for binding with only one sat!), and it still works.

Joachim
Old 05-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’ve sent emails to Helicommand and have asked the same question here “ WHERE do I send this unit to for warranty repair..” Absolutely no response to this question whatsoever…. Have I been left high and dry?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Outside of Europe warranty is typically handled by Captron direct.

http://www.helicommand.com/index.php...mid=57&lang=en

Danny
F1 Rocket is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I should have been clearer. I have emailed both asking where to send it and I haven't received a single reply.. The only email I got said "Joachim will continue to help you on the Helifreak forum" that's it, nothing.. So I sent another stating it's clearly a hardware fault so I'll need to send it back... And guess what??? NOTHING.. So I'm stuck with it.

It still works and flys really well but only with the right sat installed... So $600, 7 months later and only 8 flights I can't seem to get the thing fixed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Rocket View Post
Outside of Europe warranty is typically handled by Captron direct.

http://www.helicommand.com/index.php...mid=57&lang=en

Danny

Last edited by steven0db; 05-11-2012 at 01:59 AM..
Old 05-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have solved the problem and it seems very strange.

I’ll go through the steps, but first I’ll explain the setup
Setup – Trex 700 gasser conversion with a Futaba GV1 governor using output 2 on the HC3 SX to control the speed setting.

1 – I pulled everything off as I decided to give it to a friend and just find something else in its place. I mainly use Skookum SK720’s but they are not great with Gassers..

2 – I demonstrated the fault to my friend with nothing plugged in, except for power and PC lead connected to my PC with the Helicommand SW diagnoses screen.

3 – I Unplugged the right channel that was always working

4 – Powered everything up and the LEFT sat is NOW working??????

5 – Started to plug things in one by one to see where the problem is

6 – Plugged in all cyclic servos and the left sat is still working

7 – Plugged in tail servo, still working

8 – plugged in throttle servo via the GV1.. GV1 comes to life, throttle servo working and left sat still working.

9 – Plug in the remaining speed control lead into output 2 of the helicommand AND THE LEFT SAT DROPS OFF.. The Helicommand software also states it’s waiting for a signal.

10 – Plug the right sat in and it works but there is still no data from the left sat
11 – I try it again… Unplug the right sat and unplug the speed control lead from the GV1.

12 – Turn everything on with just the left sat and everything works.. I could now fly this with just the left sat, but I can’t control the head speed without the speed control lead plugged into output 2 of the Helicommand.

13 – Plug the speed control lead back in to output 2 of the Helicommand and the left sat drops all data but still has a solid light.

14 – FIX…. Cut the power leads, + and – from the GV1 speed control lead and just leave the data cable in tacked.

15 – Plug the speed control lead back in with the power leads cut.. Now everything works including the left and right sats..

If anyone can tell me this is safe then I might keep it and continue on.. However, with the lack of communication, customer service and this strange fault I have lost all faith at this point..
Old 05-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven0db View Post
I’ve sent emails to Helicommand and have asked the same question here “ WHERE do I send this unit to for warranty repair..” Absolutely no response to this question whatsoever…. Have I been left high and dry?
Hi Steven, no email on no account, sorry. Where did you send it to?
So, anyway, send the unit directly to us, as Danny told you already. Address in Danny's link.

And NO ! With us you will never be left high and dry Never worry about this.

Joachim
Old 05-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I should have been clearer. I have emailed both asking where to send it and I haven't received a single reply.. The only email I got said "Joachim will continue to help you on the Helifreak forum" that's it, nothing.. So I sent another stating it's clearly a hardware fault so I'll need to send it back... And guess what??? NOTHING.. So I'm stuck with it.

It still works and flys really well but only with the right sat installed... So $600, 7 months later and only 8 flights I can't seem to get the thing fixed...
Oh yeah, sorry, I remember that my colleague told me about your email and I told him that you got the desired information from me via HF alreday. So at that point he was correct.
But again: no further email received. Sorry. But now you have your answer. Sorry for the delay via HF, I cannot be here all the time
Old 05-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I sent 1 from home and 3 from work with only one vague reply.. So who knows.

Have you read the below solution? Is the unit faulty or is there a reason why output port 2 on the HC3SX hates parallel power, and why does it only affect the left sat receiver and nothing else?

If you think it's OK to fly like this, then I'll stick with it..

Steve

Quote:
I have solved the problem and it seems very strange.

I’ll go through the steps, but first I’ll explain the setup
Setup – Trex 700 gasser conversion with a Futaba GV1 governor using output 2 on the HC3 SX to control the speed setting.

1 – I pulled everything off as I decided to give it to a friend and just find something else in its place. I mainly use Skookum SK720’s but they are not great with Gassers..

2 – I demonstrated the fault to my friend with nothing plugged in, except for power and PC lead connected to my PC with the Helicommand SW diagnoses screen.

3 – I Unplugged the right channel that was always working

4 – Powered everything up and the LEFT sat is NOW working??????

5 – Started to plug things in one by one to see where the problem is

6 – Plugged in all cyclic servos and the left sat is still working

7 – Plugged in tail servo, still working

8 – plugged in throttle servo via the GV1.. GV1 comes to life, throttle servo working and left sat still working.

9 – Plug in the remaining speed control lead into output 2 of the helicommand AND THE LEFT SAT DROPS OFF.. The Helicommand software also states it’s waiting for a signal.

10 – Plug the right sat in and it works but there is still no data from the left sat
11 – I try it again… Unplug the right sat and unplug the speed control lead from the GV1.

12 – Turn everything on with just the left sat and everything works.. I could now fly this with just the left sat, but I can’t control the head speed without the speed control lead plugged into output 2 of the Helicommand.

13 – Plug the speed control lead back in to output 2 of the Helicommand and the left sat drops all data but still has a solid light.

14 – FIX…. Cut the power leads, + and – from the GV1 speed control lead and just leave the data cable in tacked.

15 – Plug the speed control lead back in with the power leads cut.. Now everything works including the left and right sats..

If anyone can tell me this is safe then I might keep it and continue on.. However, with the lack of communication, customer service and this strange fault I have lost all faith at this point..
Old 05-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Output 2 cannot have power. This is shown in the connection diagram of the manual and software.

Danny
Old 05-13-2012, 03:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

So do you think it's fine to fly after the above mod or do you think there is permanent damage?

Quote:
Output 2 cannot have power. This is shown in the connection diagram of the manual and software.

Danny
Old 05-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's the the quote from the manual..

"A further channel is also externally available, output 2, e.g. for a speed controller, illumination accessories or retractable gear.
This channel supplies only the signal pin. If necessary, connect the power supply via a Y-cable."

So if I connected the power via a Y-cable the exact same thing would happen as the power would be a parallel connection and find its way back to that port…. I would still need to cut the power on the connector plugged into that port… I can’t find anything that mentions that you need to cut the power leads on anything you plug into it.. Looks like a design fault to me - or if intentional, it needs to have a warning label attached to the HC3 SX..
So my question to Helicommand, would there be any permanent damage to this unit?????

Quote:

Danny
Old 05-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you look at the connection diagram you will see that for Output 2 there is no black (-) or red (+) wire shown for that port. If you need power for something connected to Output 2 you can split the signal wire from the device you are connecting to. The signal wire goes to Output 2. The power wires go to whatever power source you have chosen. One solution is to use a Y-connector from one of the servo ports.

Danny
Old 05-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're missing my point.. It's a three pin port and there is nothing in the manual that states that if you accidentally supply power to this port from a parallel power source that it will stop data from your left sat receiver and/or cause possible damage to the unit.

Secondly, the HC3 SX is so simple to use that you would not consult the manual some 6 months later to simply plug a governor lead into output 2. That's why there should be a warning label, not just a simple gray out of red and black in a diagram: that says to me nothing other than that there is no power there, not that you shouldn't connect a lead that may have power...

Something like this might have been clearer:

"WARNING - DO NOT PLUG ANYTHING INTO OUTPUT 2 THAT MAY HAVE POWER ON IT. THE HC3SX WILL MALFUNCTION IF YOU DO..."
OR
"Please consult the manufactures documentation to make sure there is no power on the governor lead, or please cut both the power cables to be certain."

Either of these messages are better than just a simple colour change in the diagram of the pins. Note, there are no wires in the diagram either..

And I bet this question will never get answered.. Have I done any damage to HC3SX??????????

Quote:
If you look at the connection diagram you will see that for Output 2 there is no black (-) or red (+) wire shown for that port. If you need power for something connected to Output 2 you can split the signal wire from the device you are connecting to. The signal wire goes to Output 2. The power wires go to whatever power source you have chosen. One solution is to use a Y-connector from one of the servo ports.

Danny
Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
And I bet this question will never get answered.. Have I done any damage to HC3SX??????????
I can see your getting frustrated here, but an attitude like that i would not bother giving you an answer either ..

Why is it that your the only one that has a problem understanding whats going on with port 2, maybe if you have a friend with some experience in electronics, that would be of help to you.

Your statement > "WARNING - DO NOT PLUG ANYTHING INTO OUTPUT 2 THAT MAY HAVE POWER ON IT. THE HC3SX WILL MALFUNCTION IF YOU DO..."

HC3SX WILL MALFUNCTION IF YOU DO, All that means is, what ever you plug into port 2 wont have any power to it, IE: It wont work, so becasue there is no black (-) or red (+) wire connected to port 2 inside the unit, ie: the port received no Power when you pugged it in, There will be NO DAMAGE to the unit ..

So it's working now i assume, so go and FLY ..
Shtumpa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in