Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Power Supply for iCharger 3010b

Hey Freaks,

Wondering if anyone could recommend where I can pick up an 800 to 1000 Watt power supply for my iCharger 3010b. I'm currently using a Protek 350 Watt PS that's doing the job but would like to make use of the chargers capacity.

I'm not looking to break the bank so something that's reasonably priced but at the same time not one that will occupy my entire workbench. I prefer when they are compact. I've seen some in the For Sale forum in the past however their don't seem to be any at this time.

Thanks in advance,
Byter182
Yellow SAB WobblinGoblin770 w/ iKon v2, Red Mostro v1 w/ iKon v2
byter182 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have some great deals on meanwell and tdk lambda power supplies on www.onlyfinehelis.com
Old 02-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use deep cycles mainly... but for the rare home charging (or using the generator) I use the 24v47A.. plug and play ready to go with EC5's for $113...

www.feathermerchantrc.com
Old 02-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OnlyFineHeli's price on the Meanwell RSP-1000 24V supply, $150, is over $100 cheaper than the excellent ProgressiveRC, who sells it for $255.

Another option would be something like the supplies from user DSW here on HF, $115:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=669690

They are DPS-1200FB supplies, in series, for 24V, 1800W.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

You guys are awesome. Nice to have choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Fine Helis View Post
I have some great deals on meanwell and tdk lambda power supplies on www.onlyfinehelis.com
What's the story with this one (http://onlyfinehelis.com/power-suppl...r-power-supply)? Doesn't have a PIC and doesn't provide much of a description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
I use deep cycles mainly... but for the rare home charging (or using the generator) I use the 24v47A.. plug and play ready to go with EC5's for $113...

www.feathermerchantrc.com
Slyster... Great site. Had seen it awhile back and but had completely forgotten about it. I like the 24V47A Plug-n-Play Supply but do you have to buy the Dual Power Cord for it as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
OnlyFineHeli's price on the Meanwell RSP-1000 24V supply, $150, is over $100 cheaper than the excellent ProgressiveRC, who sells it for $255.

Another option would be something like the supplies from user DSW here on HF, $115:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=669690

They are DPS-1200FB supplies, in series, for 24V, 1800W.
Wow! Great value for all that wattage. Don't know that I need that much juice though for my application but probably wouldn't hurt just in case for future upgrades.

Now... On any of the PS's mentioned so far, do any of them come w/an ON/OFF power switch or incorporate any safety features? Do you have to come up w/your own power cord(s)?
Old 02-06-2015, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by byter182 View Post
What's the story with this one (http://onlyfinehelis.com/power-suppl...r-power-supply)? Doesn't have a PIC and doesn't provide much of a description.
This uses DPS-600PB power supplies, like the 47A supplies sold by feathermerchantrc.com.

Quote:
Slyster... Great site. Had seen it awhile back and but had completely forgotten about it. I like the 24V47A Plug-n-Play Supply but do you have to buy the Dual Power Cord for it as well?
Do you mean is a power cord included with the PS, or are you asking if you *must* use the dual-plug cord?

I don't *think* power cords are included, but I'm not sure. You don't have to use a dual-plug cord. If you run from a power strip, you can use the switch on the power strip to turn them both on/off. The cords used are typical computer power supply cords.

Quote:
Wow! Great value for all that wattage. Don't know that I need that much juice though for my application but probably wouldn't hurt just in case for future upgrades.
No one ever said they had too much capacity If you upgraded a charger in the future, you'd have more headroom available. If charging 6S and lower, an iCharger 30xB charger can output 750W max, for context. That will require about 880W, if the charger was 85% efficient (somewhat conservative).

Quote:
Now... On any of the PS's mentioned so far, do any of them come w/an ON/OFF power switch or incorporate any safety features? Do you have to come up w/your own power cord(s)?
Most server supplies don't have power switches, unless the seller modified them to add something. Again, a power strip is a simple solution to that problem. The Meanwell, if it's like my TDK Lambda supply, won't have a power switch, but would have terminals where you could wire in a switch yourself, if you wanted. I just plug/unplug mine.

All of these supplies have short-circuit protection, and they would all shut themselves down if you tried to pull too much from them, I'm pretty sure (haven't checked the Meanwell's manual, but I would be shocked if it didn't have over-current protection).

The DSW supplies provide power cords. The Meanwell also says it comes with a power cord. I think Feathermerchant does not include them, but not sure.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well Thank You All for the helpful advice.

Decided to go with a http://www.ebay.com/itm/191255399792...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT as for the type of charging I do it's quite sufficient.

However, I'm not sure how to plug the iCharger to it as it has 4 output connections. This is how I currently have it but have not applied power to it until I get a confirmation from you guys:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04356.jpg
Views:	1838
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	569421  
Old 02-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You're good, go for it.

All you need to worry about in this case is matching red and black. The two sets of outputs on the PS are electrically identical. They'd let you connect 2 chargers at once.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in