Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

View Poll Results: Have you been injured by your RC heli?
No, never been hurt by an RC heli 187 41.74%
Yes, minor cut or bruise from a micro 142 31.70%
significant cut from micro 10 2.23%
minor bruise or band aid cut from 450 or larger 73 16.29%
deep bruise or cut requiring stitches 15 3.35%
serious injury (many stitches, broken bone, eye injury, etc) 10 2.23%
Minor cut or bruise from larger than Micro 24 5.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Heli Caused Injury Poll

I had an intermittent loss of tail motor control on my Mcpx today, and it just did an uncommanded 180 and flew into my wrist opening a small rotor tip size slice. Small band aid stuff.

Got me thinking. I consider myself pretty careful, but over the course of a couple thousand flights I have suffered several minor bruises, one black & blue bruise, and I think two minor slices. Good material for a poll.

My worst was a 450 out of control early in my learning curve hitting me in the leg and causing the black & blue bruise, but no cut through jeans.
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Heli user caused injury?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillJames View Post
Heli user caused injury?
Well, yes, you're right about that.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the nano CPX throw a main blade right between my eyes (weakened feathering shaft bolt). Had no Idea what happened for a few seconds. No injury though. That same heli flew into the back of my thick jacket in my early days, again, no damage.
I did manage to make a long mark in my leather couch that I manage to cover up with show shine and 2 hours of labor. I apparently also broke the neck of a rogue pigeon because it just dropped motionless after flying into the rotor disc. :-(

Helis don't injure people, RC pilots do.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Running a v200 with the main blades off but tail blades still mounted, I thought I would just hold the vert stabilizer...dumb, nice finger slice, but no stitches necessary. Good lesson.

One of the mCPx left a small bruise on my leg, I got better with the TH.

I haven't had what you could call a crash with the 450's yet, hard landing with a heavy camera and low power tho.
No 3D here, just invert orientation with my little ones stage.
xch3no2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a friend who was learning on a 450 in his back yard , said the Heli was drifting into his fence , so he stuck his leg out to stop it ...

Fail big time ..
Old 11-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default CP Pro dent in the car

When I just started in helis my first was a Eflite cp pro. Coming in for a landing about 10' from the car and some interference caused the heli to piro right into the car door. So my wife always remind me that I tried to kill her when the heli hit the car, oh yeah she was sitting in the car, window down and the heli hit about a foot below the window. I also hit her in the leg once, she bruises easy! My dog use to chase the heli and now she has a scar. That was many years ago and I have really grown to respect all flying things and I have not put the heli in any proximity to hurt anything or anyone ever again. Even my micros are flown with great respect. A 130X carbon blade I bet could do some damage, I could not imagine what the 600 would do. RIP for Roman and anyone else that has suffered from an accident like what we all have experienced on some level or another.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess I have to say yes, because my mCP X did give me pretty good bruise on my knuckle, once.

But, touch wood, I remain otherwise unscathed.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Spooled up my 500esp with my head in the way. First hit was nothing, but the second was a wallop. Then i unplugged it.

Do NOT try this with a 700!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I edited your Poll to include minor cut or bruise from larger than micro. A lot of us have not been flying micro until the last few years, they used to completely suck and we learned on 60+ size helis.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

crap, i voted wrong. now i remember i did not have a sort start. move the throttle stick a little and the blades went full bore into my knee cap.. when soft start is on moving the throttle up like that pretty much does nothing. blaes might make a quarter of a rotation and have no force behind them..

that sucked. no real injury, pushed on my knee cap and it cracked back into place and i had a bruise nothing major..

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's no choice in the poll that really works for me. I burned my arm pretty bad on the muffler of my N5C a couple of weeks ago.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Never got hurt while flying in 6 years. I keep my distances.
Only small scratches on the bench working with screwdriver or hobby knife, and maybe superficial burns on muffler.
Zbawer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Heli Caused Injury Poll

Hit myself right on the jugular with my nano a little bruise and tingling. When I was scared of my 300x I almost plowed it right into my trying to hover/lLand nose in did a reverse direction right into the ground instead of me.
Fooferdoggie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i voted for the scratch by a larger than micro.

careful with those blades. I was carrying my 700 to the car and caught the back of my leg with a folded back tip. drew blood. they're very sharp.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Over six percent of voters have had at least relatively serious injuries? That's kind of sobering. I've grabbed my mCpx while it was hovering and caught my knuckle on the main blade once. It kind of took out a chunk of skin but not really enough to draw blood. So I voted no on any injuries. I do wear clear glasses if flying a nano or mcpx in the house.
Staub is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Was holding the tail boom of a 450 when I inadvertently started up the main rotor - totally my fault for not immobilising the motor. Required broken thumb k-wiring, and nail-bed repair, and deep laceration to thumb, both top and underneath suturing. Then subsequently six weeks off work while I couldn't wash my hands at work with the Kirschner wire in situ.
Andy
AndrewJHawes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaboy_71 View Post
i voted for the scratch by a larger than micro.

careful with those blades. I was carrying my 700 to the car and caught the back of my leg with a folded back tip. drew blood. they're very sharp.

Exactly why I added it. You know how many times I have gotten nicked by 700mm v-blades on my Ion-X machines after a flight? More than I can count. I usually have at least one shin bleeding after a weekend flying them. Same when I was flying Extremes. Long blades with sharp tips you have to be pretty limber to bend over and stop them or just very patient to wait until they stop.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Result from tinkering deep into the wee hours of the morning..

nightflyr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flew a micro into my leg once and got a teeny owie.

BUT, like many others, tinkering and wrenching can be downright DANGEROUS! I stuck a very small screwdriver all the way through the meat of my thumb once while pushing an EC5 bullet into the plastic housing. It slipped off, slammed through my thumb and stuck into the wood of my workbench! My thumb was stuck to the bench for a good minute before I had the nerve to yank the screwdriver out! Needless to say, I couldn't fly for a few weeks!
escsniper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in