Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 06:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I need more tricks to learn!

Having quickly got the hang of my tutor I've swapped back to the Ultrafly Extra 300 and found it's actually pretty easy to fly. Trouble is I've now succefully tried every aerobatic manouver I can think of, and I need some new ideas to keep challenging me. Since Friday (it's now Monday) I've learnt:

loop
roll
corkscrew
immelman
inverted s
cuban 8
sustained inverted flight
stall turns
genreally kindof turn the motor off while flying vetically and put full opposite aileron and rudder on so it tumbles out the sky (is there a name for this?)

So what's next guys? I tried knife-edge but i don't think the plane's capable, other than that I'm out of ideas.
Kington99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

rolling circles
harrier
rolling harrier
torque roll
stall turns
humpty bump
cuban 8
half reverse cuban 8
outside loop
avalanche (a loop with 1 full snap at the top of the loop)
2 point roll
4 point roll
8 point roll
16 point roll

and then start putting manuevers together.. Like a immelman turn with one and a half positive snaps when you roll to right side up instead of a 1/2 roll. Or a avalanche with 1 snap when vertical, inverted, vertical, right side up.

Combining manuevers and making them flow and look well and precise is how ya start getting to be a better pilot..

Rolling circles are IMO the hardest manuever to do "well". Especially when you start getting into a 1 roll- rolling circle w/ 1/2 of the roll to the inside and then the other half of the roll to the outside...
lookin for another Vibe 50
invertmast is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

rolling harriers, upright harriers, inverted harriers, torque rolls, hovering, dirty torque rolls, walls, waterfalls, blenders, etc....

when you master these i will name a few more
HeathH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

invertmast you beat me too it.
HeathH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas guys, could you possibly give a brief description of some of these? I know some of them but the harrier and torque roll ones are unfamiliar.
Kington99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kington99 View Post
Thanks for the ideas guys, could you possibly give a brief description of some of these? I know some of them but the harrier and torque roll ones are unfamiliar.

Harrier is a high alpha flight where the plane has a 30* or great angle of attack, and is basically being flown around "on the prop" it is getting basically no lift from the wing to remain flying.

Torque roll is a variation of a "hover". Basically you put it into a hover and allow the Torque of the motor to "roll" (twist) the airplane while you hover.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Rolling circle- A horizontal circle with either 1/2, 1, 2 or more rolls. The rolls can be towards the inside of the circle or towards the outside of the circle.

harrier- See post above

rolling harrier- Same as a harrier, but the plane is "rolling" while in the harrier

torque roll- See post above

stall turns- at sufficient speed, pull vertical, right as the plane begins to stop climbing, add left/right rudder to perform a 180 degree turn around.

Tail Slide- Similar to a Stall turn, except you keep the nose pointed vertical and allow the plane to "slide" backwards

humpty bump- at sufficient speed, pull vertical, do a half roll (either direction) and pull or push elevator to perform a 180* course reversal, do another 1/2 roll and pull/push to exit right side up or inverted. you can exit going to same direction or the opposite direction as you did before you entered the manuever

cuban 8- Perform a 2/3 loop to the 45* downline, then perform either a roll or snap to and pull/push to exit right side up or inverted (should look like a teardrop when done)

half reverse cuban 8- Same as above, just performed backwards..IE, you pull/push (depends on if your inverted or right side up) to the 45* UPline, then do a 2/3 loop to exit level (either inverted or right side up)

outside loop- Loop with the landing gear pointing towards the outside

avalanche- a loop with 1 full snap at the top of the loop

2 point roll- A roll with a hesitation at inverted and then right side up

4 point roll- Roll w/ a hesitation at knife edge, inverted, KE, right side up

8 point roll- same as 4 point, just add an additional hesitation between each point

16 point roll- same as 8 point, just add an additional hesitation between each point
Old 02-24-2010, 04:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

One of the hardest things I have ever seen was a rolling circuit which had just 1 complete roll for the entire circuit. can't remember the chaps name but he was doing a demo flight at a show in the uk after winning the world aerobatics championships... a lot of years ago..

/Steve
stevec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Don't forget stationary rollers into the breeze. I setup 15mph wind on the Sim and practice in front of me. Its hard to cordinate your paws!
Old 03-30-2010, 12:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec View Post
One of the hardest things I have ever seen was a rolling circuit which had just 1 complete roll for the entire circuit. can't remember the chaps name but he was doing a demo flight at a show in the uk after winning the world aerobatics championships... a lot of years ago..

/Steve
Isn't that a required move in IMAC now?

Anyway, go look at the moves in IMAC - there's a description and skill level for each one. Many of the moves are actually fairly easy, but there's a big difference between a loop and a perfect loop. IMAC and pattern flying is cool like that - even if you aren't very good, it is easy to see when a move is perfect and when it's not. It's all about the smooth flow from one move to the next too - if you come out of a move wrong, you're not going to be set up right for the next one... so flying each move might be easy, but putting together the whole pattern can be really hard.
Jasmine2501 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 01:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It might be Jasmine... I have just come back to the hobby after about a 10 year absence and when I saw the demo flight it must have been about 5 years before that.

/Steve
stevec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in