Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters

Gasser Helicopters Gasser Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Skookum 540

Anyone tried a Skookum 540 on a gasser yet?

I went to a FF a couple of weeks ago and my 750 started pulling the slow roll thing again, the first 2 times I was high enough to keep her alive, but the 3rd. time I was inverted coming straight at me and I tried to roll back to upright and it took about 2 secs. to roll back upright. Well I almost made it but not quite there. Minimal damage considering I was cooking right along.

Anyways about a hour after my punch in, the pilots raffle came around and I lucked out and was the 3rd. number drawn. There was a good sized quad and on the way up someone said "Here goes the quad" I said back "I hate quads" and then I saw the 540 sitting there... That is the best thing on the table for me so I snagged it up.

I have the new version Clear case and I guess it is the same as the red one but gov. is disabled and a couple of other things. Rep there told me for $20 I can download the new software and have it just like the red one.

I have had three 750s act up on me now (two of them both started acting up at 50-60 hours of flight time, not sure on this one) so wanting to try something different or I am going back to NoBar on the G20. I flew the G20 NoBar for a good bit of time and it did OK other than high wind.

Anyways, anyone tried it on a gasser?
TRex 450L 6S Spirit FBL
Mr.HillBilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I test flew one on a Whip gasser helping someone out at a fun fly. It was extremely nervous and the heli was drifting bad. There was no time to dig into it further to see if there was a major vibe upsetting it.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have 3 installed on my gassers . 2 Whiplashes , 1 Goblin Gasser . I have no complaints . They work Great . The Gov. is not the greatest for gasser . I never could get it to work every time . But with good throttle curves , no issues . I have let a couple guys fly my Goblin Gasser , and they couldn't believe how well it performed with the SK540 in it .
USA_1_INK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi USA_1_INK,

Two questions on the SK540:

1. Have you had any issues with heat under the canopy? I have heard of other FBL units being sensitive to heat.

2. You mention throttle curves, do you set actual curves in the TX and if so does it matter if there's a curve vs just a set value? The governor doesn't seem to pay any attention, it just tries to hold the selected speed for each flight mode based on the throttle crossing the correct threshold.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Trillian .
I have never had a heat issue with mine . Has always flown flawlessly . My only issue I have had is the Gov. getting it to work all the time . Something about a Gasser it doesn't like . I have heard they are working on an update for the Gov. But no idea when it will be released .

When running a throttle curve in the radio . Which is a non-Gov.
Something like this for no-Gov.
Normal Mode 0-18-22-32-100
Idle up 1 100-42-28-42-100
Idle up 2 100-45-32-45-100
These numbers may not be exact but it gives you an idea .

The Skookum has a set value for the curve they want .
Normal Mode 0-40-40
Idle up 1 60-60-60
Idle up 2 100-100-100
Starting Gain is about 28
There is just a lot of testing to get the testing to get the Low Ramp, High Ramp and Overdrive set up correctly .

I hope this might help a little . I am still messing with mine trying to get figured out .
Karl
USA_1_INK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 05:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Karl,

Mine is on a Helix and I saw another thread somewhere mentioning heat inside the canopy which I had not thought of before. I'm using a Rave ENV canopy that has more room above the frames in front than a Trex canopy would so that might help as well.

This is my first Skookum and so far it's working pretty good. I just updated to version 4.07 firmware and did the whole throttle setup again and have yet to test it now that I can adjust the gov gain from the TX.

I'm using a regular sensor with three magnets on the main gear as I bought the heli 2nd hand bind 'n fly. It definitely works but just felt like it needed a bit more gain last time out.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in