Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Amazing, with this simple change, it will make all the difference. Right move MSH!

Before, the costs to impress with the "cleverness" of a single belt design was not worth it.

Birds will crash and this newer layout is still simpler than some other makes mentioned above when repairing.

The amount of belt wrap using those idlers is interesting. Some may prefer a more complex two-staged hybrid gear/belt reduction and forgo the large one-stage pulley.

Personal choice, but I like the simplicity.

Last edited by FNFAL; 07-01-2015 at 11:22 AM..
FNFAL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 01:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I am going to have to have one of these. Looks like a great and simple design.
iKON DX9
Greg B is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2015, 01:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did anyone else notice the canopy mounting posts? They look like they have a magnet! I'm thinking canopy without mounting holes! Could make for some very cool sleekness.
dedados is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2015, 08:08 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

They used magnets for the v1 canopy as well. They work extremely well
Old 06-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Note there is also a 800 conversion kit for the v2 Max. Likely $30-40 to change it into a full blown 800 machine.

The mechanics are robust enough to handle a really extreme 800 setup.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like your avatar
Old 06-28-2015, 11:28 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Getting gear ready for this now. I plan on the following setup.

HK4530LE 450kv
Scorpion 160A Opto ESC
14s 4400mah packs
MKS X8 860 cyclic (tail servo still being decided)
2s 2200 Rx pack
Brain FBL
800 stretch kit running 753mm Edge main blades and 116mm rail tails

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2015, 12:32 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Fighter View Post

HK4530LE 450kv
Scorpion 160A Opto ESC
14s 4400mah packs
2s 2200 Rx pack
Brain FBL

//Dennis.
Looks good. Only issue is where to mount the RX pack on a max. Most run it on the bottom of the rear flight pack or strapped to the rear. The 2200 is usually long and skinny. A square thicker pack fits better.

I just run BEC with ultraguard on everything.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:22 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Fighter View Post

HK4530LE 450kv
Scorpion 160A Opto ESC
14s 4400mah packs
2s 2200 Rx pack
Brain FBL

//Dennis.

For a second I thought that "HK4530LE 450k" was a hobby king motor from the HK I was confused
Old 06-29-2015, 03:20 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Looks good. Only issue is where to mount the RX pack on a max. Most run it on the bottom of the rear flight pack or strapped to the rear. The 2200 is usually long and skinny. A square thicker pack fits better.

I prefer to use 2s Lipo but yes, I was a little worried about where to mount the pack. I have some smaller high C 2s 1850mah and 1300mah square packs but would like to use something bigger on this bird. I will have a look at the V1 airframe they have at the shop and see if I can work out where to fit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedados View Post
For a second I thought that "HK4530LE 450k" was a hobby king motor from the HK I was confused
Lol. HobbyKing does sell Scorpion motors by the way, just not the Limited Editions..

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2015, 05:16 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally a proper drivetrain from MSH.
The single belt design never made any sense to me, every time i look at Protos drivetrain my thought was: Fragile.
All the motors from my buddies MP or P500 were coming from flying very hot due to having to run the belt quite tight.
Now it really looks good, with a nicely sized OWB
Old 06-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post

What BEC are you running, and what location? I have a spare BEC pro I could run if rx packs are a no go
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default MSH Protos Max V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtyndall View Post
What BEC are you running, and what location? I have a spare BEC pro I could run if rx packs are a no go

I run a WR BEC pro with servo power bus in the rear deck. Dario runs a gryphon in he nose under he Esc. Either way is fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435592714.885446.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	593741
Old 06-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like a tight fit. Castle is too big?
Old 06-29-2015, 10:52 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtyndall View Post
Looks like a tight fit. Castle is too big?
Castle BEC? It's tiny and fits fine
Old 06-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just looked it up, the Castle BEC pro is in fact smaller than that WR
Old 06-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 06-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did a bit of reading last night about this heli (the big Protos max V2 thread).

I gather that this is basically a 700 (or 800) class heli where it's designed to take the most power you can throw at it without failure and with a tail that cannot be stripped or made to fail in holding ability (as it runs a fast tail ratio and you can run 115 blades on it - the tail won't break so it'll be pretty much vice like).

Basically, it is designed to be THE top echelon 3D machine; the best ever made...and it's potentially selling for $699 with the Brain FBL unit (so ~$500 for the airframe)...so it will be one of the cheapest as well.

Some important crash parts costs are going to be reduced, a cheap crash kit will likely be offered, an 800 size upgrade with be a pittance and an upgrade for V1 owners will be very affordable.

Basically, stronger, better, cheaper (nearly half the price of a V1) and way more awesome.

If MSH actually deliver (and I would say that they probably didn't/couldn't with the V1 due to the giant single belt legacy - but they can now with the two belts), they will have one of the most popular large helis on the market.

It's being tested at 2450 rpm with extremely hard 3D by Dario and seems to just lap it up.

Looks like I might be a MSH owner in the future.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailureToFly View Post
I did a bit of reading last night about this heli (the big Protos max V2 thread).

I gather that this is basically a 700 (or 800) class heli where it's designed to take the most power you can throw at it without failure and with a tail that cannot be stripped or made to fail in holding ability (as it runs a fast tail ratio and you can run 115 blades on it - the tail won't break so it'll be pretty much vice like).

Basically, it is designed to be THE top echelon 3D machine; the best ever made...and it's potentially selling for $699 with the Brain FBL unit (so ~$500 for the airframe)...so it will be one of the cheapest as well.

Some important crash parts costs are going to be reduced, a cheap crash kit will likely be offered, an 800 size upgrade with be a pittance and an upgrade for V1 owners will be very affordable.

Basically, stronger, better, cheaper (nearly half the price of a V1) and way more awesome.

If MSH actually deliver (and I would say that they probably didn't/couldn't with the V1 due to the giant single belt legacy - but they can now with the two belts), they will have one of the most popular large helis on the market.

It's being tested at 2450 rpm with extremely hard 3D by Dario and seems to just lap it up.

Looks like I might be a MSH owner in the future.
Obviously I'm biased here. But the intent is that the Max v2 becomes your daily beater. The one you pull out every day and learn/enjoy the hobby. Yet with no compromises. While a "beater" may sound like a negative term. It isn't. A beater is that comfort heli. Where you can be fearless. It's not a shelf queen. But it needs to be extremely tough. Take total abuse. Yet be inexpensive to own and fix. Quick to repair. So the goal is to build a high quality, high end heli, that's a "beater".

A year ago, MSH set out to build a heli I would truly love based on the V1 platform. I know that sounds like I have a big ego. I don't. I was the v1's harshest critic. But instead of focusing on it's faults, I worked with MSH to redefine it into the best heli they could possibly make. Without compromise.

I think they succeeded. I hope you guys love this thing as much as I do. I have a passion for the hobby. And a brutal honesty on things (I swear I'm a nice guy though!). In the end, I think it produces a higher bar and a better result.

There is something extremely special about a heli with no gear mesh. Just 2 (gates) belts. Set and forget. It really makes a world of difference when a model can't be stripped and you don't need to turn a screw for many many hundreds of flights to service it. For me, my time is valuable, and nothing is worse than a high maintenance heli.

Cheers.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

The design looks excellent. I will be keeping an eye on this one!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in