Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR X

mSR X Blade Micro SRX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is the MSRx a good indoor heli?

I just sold my MSR and have a 120SR that I use outdoors. How good is the MSRx? I read some of the forums and it seems like a handfull for some. How would you rate it? Should I get my MSR back????
hawkhero is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes, it can be a handful, but its so much fun.

its a fine indoor helicopter, and very strong outdoor flyer too.
crashycanuck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had both and the msrx is way more agile and much faster than the msr, you can learn to fly the msrx in small spaces but it's much better outdoors in little to no wind.

The msrx takes alot more concentration and cyclic input than the msr when doing slow maneuvers because of the flybarless system.

Read about the mmm mod to improve left turns.

And last but not least LUBE LUBE LUBE the tail and main motors.

IF IT CAN'T BE FIXED WITH DENTAL FLOSS, THEN IT CAN'T BE FIXED..LOL
Liduno is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just picked one up two days ago, got it so i could fly indoors on windy days and still practice my flying for my blade 450. Its awesome indoors, but it can be tricky! The little heli will ZOOM across a room! It definatly teaches you to be easy on the controls. Im loving it! Was waiting for a mcpx to become available but there back ordered forever, i dont regret my purchase!

Side note: what do you use to lube your msrx motor liduno?
Jem450R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been flying my mSRx mostly indoors because it has been cold and windy. I can now complete full turns with good control in our living room and can get it to hover with good control in my office which is pretty small. It really shines out doors though where you can zip it around without having to worry about crashing into walls. I have a mCX2, mSRx and a 120SR but the mSRx is the most challenging and fun.
Neon888 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got my msrx after i got my mcpx(cause i was board) and i am very happy i did, much more tame for indoor flying/learning. The mSRX can be a handful OR very very easy, the trick is the set up, right out of the box the servo push-rods are often not set up, and can lead to drifting on truns/ rudder corrections, also its a MUST that you extend your tailboom to 120-125mm. Once you do these two things, it flys like a dream around the house, some times i take it for a tour around the house and down the spiral stairs etc.... Oh yeah I cant vouch for flying with out a programmable remote(dx6i/dx7s) I have heard the stock TX settings are pretty squirrely.

Edwii is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have a DX6i so I could program it to be a bit more docile?
hawkhero is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkhero View Post
I have a DX6i so I could program it to be a bit more docile?
Very much so, these are the settings i use
D/R EXPO
AILE (50%) (-10%)
ELEV (50%) (-10%)
RUDD (100%) (INN)

MIX 1
RUDD→ ELEV (ACT)
RATE D -10% U -10%
SW (ON) TRIM (INN)

that i got from this guy:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp0g8E6JWpY[/ame]

Old 03-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

It can be a little tough on a newby to learn, but i absolutely love both of mine ! The fact it is a little tough to learn on will help you later on.
It is a great little heli that "may" have some quirks but in my opinion is just a blast to fly ! I love it.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwii View Post
Very much so, these are the settings i use
D/R EXPO
AILE (50%) (-10%)
ELEV (50%) (-10%)
RUDD (100%) (INN)

MIX 1
RUDD→ ELEV (ACT)
RATE D -10% U -10%
SW (ON) TRIM (INN)

that i got from this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp0g8E6JWpY
I'll have to try his mixes when my DX6i gets back and compare them to the ones i was using. Glad you posted that !
Old 03-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am a complete beginner and I bought the msrx the other day. Started practicing hovering outside because the thing was a handful inside. Learned how to hover outside pretty good. Did the MMM Mod and that REALLY stabilized the heli. Took it indoors after that and was alot better.

Bought an MSR so I could learn turns better (nose in, etc). Thing is nice inside and helps alot, but is pretty tame outdoors compared to the msrx.

Also, I probably learned the heard way on the msrx. Stock controller and didn't find out about the MMM mod til I was a couple of days in.
phill533 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Msrx is perfect for indoors... not as easy as a msr .. but once you get the hang of it you can whip it around the house and not ruin furniture if you crash...(like i did with my mcpx)
Geoki is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoki View Post
Msrx is perfect for indoors... not as easy as a msr .. but once you get the hang of it you can whip it around the house and not ruin furniture if you crash...(like i did with my mcpx)
Wow ruined furniture? Was gonna get a mcpx for indoor use... Not recommended?
Jem450R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use both my msrx and mcpx indoors, The mcpx has the power to damage somethings but I have yet to notice any damage to anything in the house due to it, the msrx is far safer in tho.

You can learn to fly the mcpx indoors but you do need a bit of room to be able to get beyond the most basic things, there are the pros out there however who can do just about anything with an mcpx in a small living room but they are very good to start with. I dont know you background with heli's but if your just starting out and haven't gotten the basics of flying and your going to be indoors most of the time, the get the msrx, unless you have an double car size empty garage to learn on with the mcpx. but if you want to indoors and out doors to learn then get the mcpx.

Basically, unless you have a pretty good hand on flying heli's the mcpx is not very comfortable in small areas to learn on, a well set up msrx on the other hand is very much at home in small areas. So if your willing to find the space to learn on the mcpx then i would suggest the msrx.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem450R View Post
Wow ruined furniture? Was gonna get a mcpx for indoor use... Not recommended?

Well.. I got my mcpx as my first heli.. so I crashed a lot.. I sliced my leather couch and nicked a few walls...cut my finger. I set it aside and got a msrx and a mqx, messed with those for a while indoors and it actually made me fly my mcpx a lot better. Now I fly the mcpx indoors all the time with no problem thanks to the msrx! I even got hungry for more power and when thru a couple of brushless motors. I like the msrx more indoors because I can whip it around pretty fast. When I fly my mcpx indoors i find myself just hovering and doing small circuits. I say get both if you have the money.
Geoki is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Its best for gymnasium type environment for when you have room to gallop. I first got mine the day they came out, and it was also the night of our indoor fly-in. Its a great warm-up for flying the MCPX as well. The little sucker is quick and much more fun then its predecessor.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Short answer, unless your a pro pilot, not really. This heli needs space. Lots of it.

Hover is ok (after many crashes), but circuits in a room... unless you happen to live in a gym or a castle, I don't think so.
danb1974 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb1974 View Post
Short answer, unless your a pro pilot, not really. This heli needs space. Lots of it.

Hover is ok (after many crashes), but circuits in a room... unless you happen to live in a gym or a castle, I don't think so.
I fly forward and backward circuits and clockwise funnels in my rec room, but I have been practicing since December. My rugged little mSRX has bounced off many walls in the process of me learning to do this! I bring it up simply to point out that it can be done if you are persistent.
Ric66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bet you can fly a 450 in your room (at least hover it) _but_ this does not imply it is a good indoor heli, only that you are a good pilot.

Many people with limited experience may get very frustrated jumping onto the msrx, based on the "it's a good indoor heli" advices and discovering you need 100 flights just to hover without crashes. Instead they would be much more satisfied with a msr or similar. And don't get me started on how as3x switches to rate mode while rudder applied, making turns a PITA and worse learning you wrong habits. I regret not knowing that, that's the price for jumping onto a new product which was supposed to be attitude hold all the time (never trust the commercials).
danb1974 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have pretty limited space as I live full time in a rv and I fly mine indoors....more like hovering circuits rather than fff but I fky her multiple battery packs a day when she is not shelf bound waiting on a part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in