Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Orange receivers DX7s/DX8

Does anyone know if the Hobbyking orange receivers will work on the newer spectrum radios like they do on the DX7?
RANTHM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Absolutely. They won't be dsmx but will work ok in dsm2.

Cheers
Steve
stevec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking of buying either the new dx7s or the dx8.
RANTHM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 02:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have several cheapie clone/nonclone whatever they call them receivers and apart from one DOA they all seem to work fine for my applications. I use an orange Rx for simstick, and have others in my parkflyer helis.

I use a DX8 radio. Personally I am not fussed about DSMX. I fly in the UK and never at shows and there are only ever half a dozen people flying at my field and even less in the air simultaneously so the benefits from it are negligible for me.

They are banned in our fixed wing club because of several fly aways due to the park range of them but this is no different from using a genuine one in my opinion. Choose the correct rx for the application and with 450 or smaller I have no problem with the smaller recievers, you simply can't fly far enough away by accident to get out of range. You may have problems in a bigger heli or plank due to the range of sky they can burn up.

Cheers
Steve
stevec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes they will work..make sure your radio is not part of the recall..i had a orange Rx brown out on my DX8 and lost a plane...but then i got notice mine was part of a recall that made DSMX Tx's not be very compatable with DSM2 Rx's...Sent mine back and all fixed now.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im not trying to bust anyones chops I just wish everyone would learn to use the correct terminology.The flashing led simply means that the Rx has rebooted since the last powerup cycle.It could be a static hit or it was apparantly happening with the incompatibility issue as well.There may be other factors unrelated to the radio that could cause a reboot also.
Brownout is a completely different situation.It is caused by one thing.Lack of adequate power to the system.The flashing led is not telling you that it had a brownout.Its simply telling you that it rebooted.Many systems Ive seen are running in a brownout condition but never get bad enough to cause a reboot.
The Tx cannot cause a brownout although it is possible with the incompatibility issue that the Rx could reboot.
The flashing led "reboot indication" is simply telling you that there is a potential problem requiring further diagnosis to pinpoint the true cause of the problem.
Not unlike mixing and matching the terms "bind" and "connect" it can cause no end to confusion in trying to find a true cause of what the problem may be and getting it corrected.After all this is the goal we try to reach.The more we understand the less time we spend fumbling around with speculation.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Im not trying to bust anyones chops I just wish everyone would learn to use the correct terminology.The flashing led simply means that the Rx has rebooted since the last powerup cycle.It could be a static hit or it was apparantly happening with the incompatibility issue as well.There may be other factors unrelated to the radio that could cause a reboot also.
Brownout is a completely different situation.It is caused by one thing.Lack of adequate power to the system.The flashing led is not telling you that it had a brownout.Its simply telling you that it rebooted.Many systems Ive seen are running in a brownout condition but never get bad enough to cause a reboot.
The Tx cannot cause a brownout although it is possible with the incompatibility issue that the Rx could reboot.
The flashing led "reboot indication" is simply telling you that there is a potential problem requiring further diagnosis to pinpoint the true cause of the problem.
Not unlike mixing and matching the terms "bind" and "connect" it can cause no end to confusion in trying to find a true cause of what the problem may be and getting it corrected.After all this is the goal we try to reach.The more we understand the less time we spend fumbling around with speculation.
Good evening! Tell me please how safe is to fly my plane with dx8 and orange 6ch with out satelite! if the range test will be ok in about 30 meters thats mean i can fly safe??

thank you very much
kostasch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostasch View Post
Good evening! Tell me please how safe is to fly my plane with dx8 and orange 6ch with out satelite! if the range test will be ok in about 30 meters thats mean i can fly safe??

thank you very much
With todays 2.4 systems the term "range check" is somewhat misleading.The term I like to use is "low power function check".At the suggested 30 paces while in low power you should have a reliable connection in all possible orientations.The orientations are more important than the actual range.At 30 paces while turning the model into all orientations you should maintain a solid connection.If you do it should be reliable to fly to the limits of visual range with full power.This is of course for a "full range" Rx.

With a park flyer Rx which would include an orange with no remote it should be reliable to 300 meters or 1000ft.The problem is not range per se but the fact that you have no antenna diversity and the possibility of a single antenna being "shadowed" is much greater.If the antennas are improperly placed they may become shadowed by solid objects in the model and no amount of RF power will overcome this.Theres no hard and solid rule that fits all in this situation.Thats why turning the model to all orientations during low power operation is important.If you have cutouts in any orientations you may have to move Rx/antennas to different locations.
IMO this is a pitfall many run into.Simply plug stuff in and "range test" at 30 paces with the tail pointed at you and go fly.When you get into a nose in or other orientation where there is shadowing you will have loss of connection.I hear so many times about the POC radio "locked out" and when I ask how the range check was done I simply hear "I checked it at 30 paces and it was fine".Theres a little more to it than that.The documentation is all out there.It simply requires a bit more care during setup and initial range testing.
Many have had great success with the orange Rx and many have not.The installation and setup of any Rx is the biggest factor in reliability IMO.

IMO the quality and control of the components in the orange are inferior to the OEM.Please dont turn it into a debate as it is what it is.If you want cheap in many cases you get what you pay for.

My 2 cents worth.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in