Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Avant RC - Mostro & Aurora

Avant RC - Mostro & Aurora Avant Mostro, Aurora, Electric eAurora, RigidCore Flybarless Head, Avant EFX and Avant FX Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First Flight on New Mostro Nitro

Today was a good day in Michigan. 60 degrees, the 13 inches of snow we got on Wednesday was sort of melting, sort of not. lots of standing water everywhere. But I found a dry spot and got 2 good motor break-in flights.

I had my share of new helicopter problems. The Mostro was the best part of it all, not one thing wrong with it.

I had lots of problems with starting the OS 105 HZ-R motor.
My Align starter would not turn over this beast of a motor. Ok so I ordered
a Dynatron starter and new starting shaft. Hooked it up to 12 Volt Marine battery I keep in the bed of my truck to charge batteries. This darn thing still will not turn over the motor more than 2 revolutions. I finally put a 6S 3300mah 35C battery to the starter and WOW it turns this motor over fine now.
The other problem I had was with my on board glow driver, it was not up to the challenge of starting this motor. I ended up going to a voltage regulator a friend of mine found on Ebay for 8 bucks. It has a 4 to 40 volt input and I have it dialed down to 1.506V output. This is not on my heli but with 3s2200 lipo pack feeding it works great and is better than using my flight box.

Now I have to get use to the Gpro FBL unit. This was not what I planned on putting in it at first but an accidental reverse voltage connection put the Bavarian Demon 3X out of action. I think the GPro is Align's finest FBL unit and it has a governor too. Now it is time for me to learn how to use it. So far so good.

Anyway I had a great day standing in very wet snow flying my new Mostro for the first time. By the time summer gets here the engine will be fully broken in and I will get the FBL unit working the way I like it.
Gregsrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Grats! Glad you had a good maiden!
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2016, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I enjoyed reading your post. I was new to nitro last year when I bought my Gaui NX7 and I use most of the same gear. Fortunately I ended up with the starter and battery from the beginning. I also have electric Mostro's which I am a huge fan of, so I related to the entire post (except the snow, living in Florida for 47 years LOL). Congrats on a nice heli.
Logo 800 // Logo 700 12S/14S// Logo 690 // Logo 400 // Mostro 700E's// Whiplash 700E// Gaui NX7 // Gaui NX4 // Gaui X4 // Gaui X3 //Goblin 570 // Trex 250 // TBS Discovery /Naza M2 // Jeti DS-16 // V Control // Jlog // BD3SX// VBar Neo// Lifetime AMA
guyguerra is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Welcome to the wonderful world of nitro.

My new Mostro now has 6 flights on it at a very rich setting. I have started leaning out the motor a little and going into higher RPM's.
A friend of mine gave me a trick to leaning out the motor, he told me that if you put your finger on the crank case back plate and leave it there for 15 seconds then it is just about perfect, This is right after a flight. If it is too hot to leave your finger on it then you are too lean. My motor is cold right now and I am applying a nice cloud of smoke over the flying area.

A few more flights and I will be ready to turn on the governor and having some fun with the new heli.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

[IMG]20160312_131401.jpg[/IMG]

Here I am 3 nitro's and 1 electric. I rebuilt 2 of the engines and the other one is new so I am breaking in 3 engines at the same time. Lots of time for hovering practice ( I think I will practice inverted hovering too!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160312_131401.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	641337  
Old 03-26-2016, 04:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yesterday the sun was out and we hit 47 so I had to go out flying. I got the nitro Mostro out, The motor is mostly broke in by now and I have it leaned out. It is time to have fun.

I LOVE THIS MACHINE!!!!!!.

I had such a good time flying it, The 105 has great power, It was flying great. This thing was just a joy to fly

There is a reason the people who have them want to keep them flying!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in