Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default bundle (2) 3s packs for tr500 ??

is there a disadvantage to using (2) 3s packs instead of using (1) 6s pack for a tr500? BIG price difference for a very small amount of labor
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Last edited by pwoodyp; 05-30-2010 at 11:52 AM..
pwoodyp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

You'll need some big 3S packs.Like 2600mAh or bigger.No bigger than 3000mAh though since a pair of 3S is bigger than the same mA 6S.
McKrackin1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Yeah, it's possible, but like pwoodyp said, the weight will be higher. Also, you'll want to charge and fly those packs as a pair (i.e. charge them as one 6S pack with the appropriate charging/balancing cables) and keep those two together all the time.

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Advantages of 3s...
1. If you have a bunch of them, you don't have to buy new packs
2. You can still use your old 3 cell charger
3. My (2) 3s 2200's weigh less than my 6s 2650, lighter bird feels a little more poppy
4. If you get a bad (or crash) 3s pack you are not thowing away a more expensive 6s pack

Advanages of 6s
1. The 6s packs seem to balance better (CG wise)
2. The 6 cells will all have the same number of flights and therefore should balance better (voltage wise)
3. A single deans (or what ever you use) gives less points of failure and less losses
4. They usually have higher mah rating so you can get more power and flight time

I am sure I am leaving a bunch out, but you get the idea. There is good and bad to both. I fly both and prefer the 6s. It is just easier to charge and fly single packs than mess around with doubling them. But they both work fine.

If you have a bunch of 3s go for it. You have nothing to loose by trying it. One suggestion is if you have a charger that tells you internal resistance, match the cells as closely as possible. If not, try to pair them up based on similar usage and you should be fine.
jlharv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have 4x2200/3s-25c packs I run as pairs in mine and they work fine just normal sport flying like I do so far. I just cut the timer back to 5:00 when running those. I also have 4x3000/6s-30c packs and run 6:00 on those. Could probably get more but for now 6:00 per flight is enough for me right now.

I wouldn't specifically buy 3s packs for the 500 but if you have them there's no reason not to use them. Then when buying new packs just start getting 6s.

Also keep in mind when just needing power to setup on the bench you can use just one 3s pack.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have been using 2x3s packs on my 500 forever. I charge them individually as 3s packs, but always use them in a pair, never ''mixnmatch''. I bought my 500 used and it came with 2 pairs(2 3s packs taped together). I have put 119 cycles on these packs myself, not to mention what the previous owner had. These are 2500 20c X-treme power, and the packs I bought new were "Hyperion vx G-3 2600 2x3s", which I have 40 cycles on. Never used a 6s on this bird so I can't comment on the weight, but I will always be using 2x3s on this bird...
jayrat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

ok you all have made my decision for me. Next time I order some lipos I'll get at least one or two 6s packs because I have NONE.. But I won't intentionally buy 3s packs for the sole purpose of bundling them for the 500 bird.. surprised at how costly the 6s packs are, much more than the price of (2) 3s packs !
Old 05-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Last edited by pwoodyp; 05-30-2010 at 11:52 AM..
pwoodyp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Look at Hobby City.
One 6S is cheaper than two 3S packs.
A little over $50 gets a nice battery if you go with Turnihy or Zippy.

They have some Rhino packs for around $60 that are 40C and 45C and can be charged at 5C.
McKrackin1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in