Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default durability: MSR vs MCPX?

hey guys. im looking to choose between these two helis and was wondering which one would have the better durability overall?
electricrc68 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

For DURABILITY I would say hands down the MSR. Lighter, less complex, can easily fly inside. BUT, it is not nearly as difficult to fly MSR, it is not nearly as "real helicoptery" as the mcp X. I have both. MSR you can run into walls, trees, people, etc. with no damage. Almost every time I hit something with the mcp X I gotta fix something. Also because of complexity, never had a warranty claim with the MSR, spent two months getting my mcp X working. They kept shipping me new parts after this broke or that failed or etc. (No I did not crash and burn it - just early on in the production cycle). My MSR has never been 'down' for repairs, my mcp X has waited on parts that I bought, parts that were on backorder. etc. Hope this helps.
WD
wdasher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think two of the biggest factors are the difference in head speed and blade stiffness that make the MCP X a lot less durable.
kako-shirazi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

okay thanks guys.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The mCPX is the most durable Collective Pitch helicopter out there, especially if you fly it over grass. But you can still break tail booms, main shafts, and lose links etc, in nasty crashes.

The MSR is much more durable than the mCPX though. It can hit solid objects etc and come up flying.
My only breakage was I hit the tail once on a crash, and it popped the tail motor cap off, so i had to get a whole new tail assembly. I immediately did the shrink wrap treatment over the motor end cap to prevent that from happening again.
InFocus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

my MSR is much more durable than my MCPx because I haven't flown the MSR since I got the MCPx!

If you're looking to fly outside you'll be way better off with the MCPx - the MSR can't handle any wind.
oscii is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Remember in what speed u guys hit the ground/objects. With the MSR its appr. 1/4 of the speed of an MCPX.
puttekula is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the durability differences between the two is mitigated by where you'd typically fly them.

The mSR is small and slow enough to fly indoors, so you'd end up mostly crashing into furniture and walls. If you have floor lamps that stick up, expect to break flybars pretty regularly. Flying outdoors it's pretty hard to break ANYTHING unless you're smashing into the ground. You'll rarely fly the mSR outdoors tho because the slightest wind will toss it around and make it nearly unflyable.

mCP however most people fly them outdoors because it's too quick and just a little too big to fly indoors. If you hit anything indoors, you're likely to break the thing you hit! Damage to the heli itself is usually limited to broken canopy mounts on the frame or the blades cracking, it really is super resiliient.....but because it CAN go quite fast, the potential for damage is far greater than the mSR I think. Oh and the tail boom will break on your first major crash, but it'll just convince you to upgrade to an extended/solid boom and that'll fix that right up permanently. Also becasue of how well it handles wind, you'll be tempted to fly it in nearly any weather, and that can lead to some interesting crashes too :p

So I'd say both mSR and mCP are the most resilient helicopters of their respective classes, indoor-FP and outdoor-CP. It's hard to compare them directly against each other.
Naito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

okay thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in