Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50

Thunder Tiger 30/50 Raptor 30, Raptor 50 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Easy way to change Raptor to eCCPM (free)

Hey all I converted my raptor 50 to eCCPM. I have been thinking about this for a long time since a guy at the field talked about it but I didnt want to spend $180 at least for a conversion kit which was always out of stock anyway.
I saw a heli on line and it clicked.
All I did is cut off the pitch arm just in front of the rocker bearing, and locked it in place at mid pitch with a couple of screws.
At this point I installed two servos where I cut the arm off and connected them to the aileron arms.
Then I ran a solid rod from the elevator servo to the elevator arm.
I removed the link from the rear ball on the swash plate and removed that arm from the elevator rocker. Bingo you have eCCPM and are using all the original arms. Just set your radio up for 3 servos 90 degrees and proceed with the swash set up just like you do with 120. If you want 120 (I havent decided yet) just bend a piece of aluminum around to the rear ball and the two side balls and drill holes at 120 and screw on balls.
I am still working on mine but my friend has already flew his and it flew great. I intend to convert my 90se but it has a carbon fiber pitch arm so I ordered a plastic one. I have a trex 600n but I like the duribility of the raptor frames and with eCCPM I think it will be more like the trex 600. I took a few pictures today of my friends if any one is interested I will post more pics. Any interest or questions let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00357.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	98375  
newhelliguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, newheliguy, Interesting conversion you did there, but I got lost somewhere in your discription. That single low res pic doesn't give a clear ides of what you did, can you add more?

thks
reaaz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

A picture is worth a thousand words. The picture was of my friends at the field. I have a prototype that has the servos just taped on. You will need to make some sort of a servo tray for the aileron and pitch servos, the elevator servo is left where it was. The geometry is right and needs no adj, make all your servo arms the same lenght. In your swash type select 3 servo 90 deg. I know the dx7 and 9303 have this I dont know about other radios. The front ball link of the elevator is used the rear one is not, you could switch this it doesnt matter but one has to be taken off because as you use the ele servo to increase the pitch the other side of the ele rocker goes down. I might replace the rear ball and put on a swash antirotation device if it is needed after testing. Here are some better pictures. I just looked at the pics and I have not secured the pitch arm in the center position yet. I will do this by drilling holes and using screws to hold it in the center pitch position (it is currently in low pitch position in the pics). I just held it in the center for this test, but the one my friend flew was screwed in position. Also the front of the locked pitch arm can be used to secure a brace to hole the rear of the servos. Just look at your Raptor and these pics. I will post more pics later after I finish the mod.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01073.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	98433   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01074.jpg
Views:	1079
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	98434   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01075.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	98435  
Old 05-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default More pics

these pics show the cut off pitch arm screwed in the center pitch position
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01076.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	98485   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01077.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	98486   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01078.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	98487  
Old 05-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just wondering what the expected change is from all the hacking. Personally I think you are down-grading the control system. Hacking is certainly fun and you will have something personal and unique, but usually there is some reason to the madness . The swashplate limitations are dictated by the washout design and the distance between the mast top bearing/head block.

The concept of the Raptor control design is to prevent interaction offering all axis isolation. Maybe if you gave us an idea of your goals there might be a another method? Go look at the new Titan 50 SE and you'll see that it flys as quick/agile as any 600rex. Pitch values are responsible and to get that you need a different mixer design.

Stephen
alexander is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I did this because another guy was wanting it and I just figured it out. with eCCPM all 3 servos carry the load and not each indivual servo. Does that matter I dont know but a lot people like eCPPM and this just give you an easy option. Some venders stay sold out for conversions at $180 and this idea offers the same for free.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here is a quick video my son shot showing this setup on the Raptor 50 prototype. The servos are only attached with sticky tape and will need to be better secured for flight ie servo tray or braces.

How to change any Raptor mCCPM to eCCPM for free. (1 min 8 sec)
Old 05-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

With 90degree eCCPM only two servo's carry the load, the third servo only works at a control capacity!
It's not worth all the effort but it is fun to tinker!
Ely.Q Vision 50
NitroAl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

How does only two carry the load? When I move pitch up or down all three servos move or all three servos up or down.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

he's correct when he says, two servoes carry the load. This because the swash links that take the load are at 180deg apart. thus even if you didn't have the third control arm infront the pitch will be able to move up & down fully, left & right cyclic will work properly. the front link just keeps the swash LEVEL. only when fore & aft cyclic is applied will there be anyload on it.

the 3 swash links need to be at 120, 140 or 135deg apart for loads to be equally devided

Hope my explanation helps! otherwise 90 eccmp is still a potent control sytem!
reaaz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK I guess it makes sense but the third servo does move at the same time. If there was a force pushing on the swash in the front or back and you change the pitch would the elevator servo not help with the pitch change? It is not a static situation. But I knew the forces are not even like with 120 and I may change to 120 later on by making a 1/2 ring and moving the side balls back to 120.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroAl View Post
With 90degree eCCPM only two servo's carry the load, the third servo only works at a control capacity!
It's not worth all the effort but it is fun to tinker!
+1
looks like fun though... but the link between the servo and swash looks a bit flimsy, might level fine on the ground, but not when under serious load... how does she track in while doing a really slow roll in FFF?
daniel.messem is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Why are the new raptors electrics using eCCPM?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice mod heliguy . Gotta give it to ya on the injinuity factor. Have you had a chance to fly it yet? Let us know the flight characteristics, and if the new placement of the sevos has any significant effect on the center of gravity. I know all the helis now a days use the eCCPM system except for the trusty Ol Raptors mCCPM. However, having flown both, I can honestly say that I don't see any significant difference between the two. Then again, I've only been flying for 3 years and I'm getting to be an old fart, so I'm probably not the best judge between the two. I just know that my 4 Raptors fly like a dream, and thats good enough for me. Keep us posted on what your findings are, and good luck to ya

"Depression is nothing more than anger, without enthusiasm"
Badger50 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Be careful with those aileron A arm links, between the A arm and the swash. I can barely get 8 degrees of cyclic authority out of them before they start binding and wanting to pop off. Your asking for the same amount of cyclic AND a bunch of collective.

Test this condition by holding full positive (or negative) collective pitch and full aileron deflection both ways.

If I toss an aileron link, it still flies. You toss an aileron link, its going to be a bad day..
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JlerchTampa (my you-tube crash videos)
http://lerch.no-ip.com/Hat_Cam ("Hat Cam" for recording flights)
JimLerch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jim,

Excellent point,

The roll belcranks will definately prevent full cyclic at top collective or upper washout travel. The servos will fight each other. The whole concept needs to be bench evaluated by the author. A work around might be the new Titan SE belcranks, however they may still need to be longer and moved forward more. The fore/aft mechanisn and cyclic seems to fair better with respect to binding. A spike on the free swashplate ball horn and a slotted bracket wouldn't hurt either

I had a 50 skeleton and snapped a link off to verify the control modification defect. Hopefully this will steer the modeler in the right direction to prevent disaster and to better complete his modification.

Stephen
alexander is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default links

i might get a wrong impression of the pics but it looks like the to the 2 side levers are not 90 degrees.
I sugest to put the ball link to the outside not the inside and when the servo's are centered the angle of the sevo lever and the link should be 90 degrees too.
If this is off you get that the deflection to one side is more then the other and that will result in poor controll (going sideways instead of straight up for example

quick up makes a 120 degree swash for the raptor while a bit expensive its good; i use one on my "expensive" eccp conversion.

good luck
cmulder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

These appeared a while ago. I hope some RapLover like me is still following this
"quick up" do you mean the VMAX eCCPM conversion ?
yes it sure is expensive !!! and never available for raptor 60 which is mine.
I am afraid the 3x90 mod suggested here would pop loose on mine if I have a 91 mounted. I am planning to use my Rap to do some heavy lifting and so any weight redux and up thrust is what I want. Is there a 3-blade rotor available that anyone's heard of ?
Also I'm looking for a 3or4 axis gyro that is flybar compatible. I'm not in it for 3D, just a farmer. Any suggestions very appreciated .

THx
Vlad
TT Raptor 60
Futaba 14SG
wodianoy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in