Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2015, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Dx6i power indicator

Is it just me, or have other users flattened their DX6i batteries by leaving the Tx "on" . it would be great if there was an LED power indicator on the TX as a reminder to switch off, has anyone done a mod for this? If so I'd love to have some details.

Last edited by Pigs Might Fly; 09-06-2015 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: Spelling error
Pigs Might Fly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes. Upgrade your radio to one with an inactivity alarm.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Yes. Upgrade your radio to one with an inactivity alarm.
Thanks Aerocal, I suppose I should just set up a routine whereby I don't forget, but these days I have trouble remembering my name - must be old age :-)
Old 09-06-2015, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Leaving your TX on and inactive can be dangerous...

Let's assume you finish a flight, put the aircraft away, but leave the TX on by accident...

Another pilot fires up his new aircraft and binds it...taking off shortly thereafter...(keep in mind that your DX6i is "seeking" an aircraft to control)

You pick up your TX, and notice it's still on...and accidently flick the TH off...

It is very likely that you now have "dual control" of HIS aircraft...and you zero your collective stick, thereby crashing his

This very scenario happened 2 seasons ago during a local indoor flying session...two transmitters controlling the same aircraft because one owner forgot to turn his radio off during another's bind procedure

It's not a common occurrence, but it does happen
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
Leaving your TX on and inactive can be dangerous...

Let's assume you finish a flight, put the aircraft away, but leave the TX on by accident...

Another pilot fires up his new aircraft and binds it...taking off shortly thereafter...(keep in mind that your DX6i is "seeking" an aircraft to control)

You pick up your TX, and notice it's still on...and accidently flick the TH off...

It is very likely that you now have "dual control" of HIS aircraft...and you zero your collective stick, thereby crashing his

This very scenario happened 2 seasons ago during a local indoor flying session...two transmitters controlling the same aircraft because one owner forgot to turn his radio off during another's bind procedure

It's not a common occurrence, but it does happen
Ummm... I think you misunderstood the Tx stealling a Bind situation that can occur rarely with alot of ppl Binding micros in proximity to each other. 2 Txs cannot control the same model. It doesnt work that way.
1 Tx can however control 2 models.
The scenario is this. 2 models are powered up and allowed to go into Bindmode.. The first one to initiate Bind with Tx gets control of both models.
The moral here is that when you fly with alot of other ppl around be very careful about putting your model into Bindmode. Be aware if anyone else around is also preparing to Bind. One or the other of you(but not both) could end up with control of 2 models.

The scenario you describe of a Tx taking over another model by simply sitting there powered up is not possible.
HELIFREAK !!!
Old 09-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can certainly argue the fact until you are blue in the face...and back it up with whatever knowledge you have or can obtain...

Fact is...we had a DX7S flying an mSRX...fight finished, heli unplugged...TX left on by mistake

A mQX quad was bound and took off using a DX6i...the DX7S was noticed, TH turned off, and we discovered dual control

Plain and simple, it should not have occurred...and we tested it both ways with the mQX vs DX6i and DX7S

Dual control of one using two transmitters

Odd, but true
Old 09-06-2015, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs Might Fly View Post
Thanks Aerocal, I suppose I should just set up a routine whereby I don't forget, but these days I have trouble remembering my name - must be old age :-)
Mental checklists are a good thing. Even a written one isnt a bad idea. It doesnt take old age. Without a routine things get missed.
In full scale one hopefuly is taught early on that no matter how good and sharp you are running the written checklists every single time is the only way to be sure nothing is missed.
HELIFREAK !!!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
...Plain and simple, it should not have occurred...and we tested it both ways with the mQX vs DX6i and DX7S

Dual control of one using two transmitters

Odd, but true
Wow! That definitely should NOT happen. Those micro receivers with auto-bind can have a mind of their own, but still, they shouldn't bind with a transmitter that's not in bind mode. Sounds like some sort of bug in the firmware in the mQX receiver.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My explanation at the time was that since the DX7S's mSRX was unplugged, the TX went searching...

I have many heli's that bind to the same TX model...unplugging one and plugging in another works just fine, so in absence of a bound heli, the TX must go searching

Anyway...it was odd as hell but good for about 15 minutes of local debate and some friendly abuse tossed the way of the DX7S's owner
Old 09-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Those micro receivers with auto-bind will search on their own (that's what I mean by "auto-bind"; you don't need a bind plug or otherwise do anything to the model to get the receiver into bind mode), but it shouldn't link up with a transmitter that's not also in bind mode. That could be a disaster at a club flying field like you found out the hard way.

The transmitter doesn't go searching. In the case where you have several helis bound to the same model memory, that works because the receiver remembers the last transmitter model memory it bound to. You can have many aircraft bound to the same model memory if you choose to. If more than one is powered on, they'd both work and receive the same commands!
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I saw a video of James Haley flying two mCP X that way...
Old 09-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, we got a bit "off topic" but interesting anyway, thanks for your input :-)
Old 09-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

If and when you get the inkling to upgrade to a G2 radio, you'll be able to activate warnings - and the TX will buzz - beep - verbalize the inactivity issue
Old 09-11-2015, 10:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
sly
Registered Users

Default Dx6i power indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs Might Fly View Post
Is it just me, or have other users flattened their DX6i batteries by leaving the Tx "on" . it would be great if there was an LED power indicator on the TX as a reminder to switch off, has anyone done a mod for this? If so I'd love to have some details.
Very easy to do, if you have any experience in soldering a couple of small components. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DX 6i  with power ON LED (1024x576).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	608213  
sly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
Very easy to do, if you have any experience in soldering a couple of small components. See attached.
Easier still...this one comes in various colors (6) and is PlugnPlay...no soldering needed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Backlight-fo...-/201422827706

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in