Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2015, 07:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Running a 6S 450L on 3S advice please.

Ok, I have a 6S 450L, from what I can see, the only difference between the 3S and 6S kits is the motor and main blades, please correct me if I am wrong. Any way I have enough 3S packs where I would be stupid to not run this heli on them, so want to run this heli on either 3S or 6S. Am I able to do this with one setup, gearing and so on. If so, what would ou guy recommend? I am running stock electrics.
Necroscope is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

subscribed..... I am looking at buying a similar setup and was curious as well
lycokayaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 6s Dominator kit also has different servos that are a bit stronger to deal with the bigger disc.

You can run the 3s packs on the stock 6s helicopter. It will be a very low headspeed with very low power and torque. Good for learning to use the collective precisely though and longer flight times.
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2015, 02:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycokayaker View Post
subscribed..... I am looking at buying a similar setup and was curious as well
me too
Going on some advice in another thread, I just ordered a 450L 6S last night, should arrive by the weekend. Also the 6S appears to have the Gpro as standard whereas the 3s is advertised with the 3GX

I have about 7 3S packs that I would like to use. And I'm still learning to fly, so don't want high head speeds, so the 3S batteries should hopefully fit the bill.
Darren@Oz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2015, 03:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd suspect that you would hardly get off the ground with a 3s battery in a 6s dominator. Rotor RPM will be close to half of what's possible on 6s so even if it does fly it will be VERY sluggish. Very low headspeed is also much harder to fly because the tail hold is sloppy and you don't have the collective 'punch' to get out of trouble.

It would be easy enough to convert a 6s 450 Dominator to 3s by changing the motor to one with much higher kV, but it's not possible to have a heli that will fly (with good 3D performance) on either a 6s or 3s battery.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok, what about the reverse then, running a 3S on 6S?
Old 09-22-2015, 03:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren@Oz View Post
me too
Going on some advice in another thread, I just ordered a 450L 6S last night, should arrive by the weekend. Also the 6S appears to have the Gpro as standard whereas the 3s is advertised with the 3GX

I have about 7 3S packs that I would like to use. And I'm still learning to fly, so don't want high head speeds, so the 3S batteries should hopefully fit the bill.
Yeah, forgot about the different fbl systems, doesn't really effect me because I am running a Skookum 720 on mine and will also be running a GPS unit as well.

It may be the case where I eventually buy a good clone 450l frame etc, and kit it out with Align hardware for 6S and change the motor over on this one. Can't seem to find a bare bones 450l Align kit.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necroscope View Post
Ok, what about the reverse then, running a 3S on 6S?
Putting a 6s battery in a 3s heli would send the current through the roof and destroy the motor and/or ESC is very short order... definitely a bad idea.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
I'd suspect that you would hardly get off the ground with a 3s battery in a 6s dominator. Rotor RPM will be close to half of what's possible on 6s so even if it does fly it will be VERY sluggish. Very low headspeed is also much harder to fly because the tail hold is sloppy and you don't have the collective 'punch' to get out of trouble.

It would be easy enough to convert a 6s 450 Dominator to 3s by changing the motor to one with much higher kV, but it's not possible to have a heli that will fly (with good 3D performance) on either a 6s or 3s battery.
I thought the same, hence I was originally going to buy a 3S.
But there is a video someone posted in the 450 picture thread of guys flying 450L 6S on 3S batteries. They seemed to fly well. Also someone else mentioned in the same thread they fly on both 3S and 6S packs no problems. Just can't do the hardcore 3D stuff on 3S- which suits me just fine because I couldn't do that stuff even if I wanted to lol
Old 09-22-2015, 05:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I thought the same, hence I was originally going to buy a 3S.
But there is a video someone posted in the 450 picture thread of guys flying 450L 6S on 3S batteries. They seemed to fly well. Also someone else mentioned in the same thread they fly on both 3S and 6S packs no problems. Just can't do the hardcore 3D stuff on 3S- which suits me just fine because I couldn't do that stuff even if I wanted to lol
That suites me fine as well. I think I will just give it a go and see what happens, a throttle and pitch curve for each voltage I guess and go from there.
I will probably build a second one at some stage but don't really see the new for it right now.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

It definitely works and you can get off the ground. As shown. It will require a very skilled collective management to fly like that though.

NEW Align TRex 450L - LOW RPM (3s) 3D Flight by Ben Storick (5 min 26 sec)
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015, 01:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC/DC_5000 View Post
It will require a very skilled collective management to fly like that though.

New Align TRex 450L - LOW RPM (3s) 3D Flight by Ben Storick - YouTube
Hmmm, that could be my down fall. Any way thanks for the video it was quite impressive.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necroscope View Post
Hmmm, that could be my down fall. Any way thanks for the video it was quite impressive.
me too.... I'm still a learner
I was going to buy a 3S (as I already have 7 near new 3S packs) butit was recommended by a couple of other people in the other thread that I should buy the 6S and just run 3S batteries...

worst case I'm going to have to stretch the budget to buy 1 x 6S battery pack to get me started....
Old 09-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

So i have been flying the 450L 6 cell for almost a year now and now currently playing with low head speeds...i did scrap the stock ESC and am now using CC 50 light.

6 cell has mad head speed. About 3500 rpm on 100% tc. I was using about 85% and my flight would start out with 3200 rpm and dip to 3000 by the end of flight landing at 5:30 min. Not using the governor.

Im now using 70%....and still has plenty of head speed to do light loops, rolls and slow climbing. But getting 7 min flight time.

I read that if going to a 3 cell set up on the 6 cell dom, you would need 100% tc and hi C rating and double your milli amps. So say your using 1450's 6 cell...you would need about 3000 3 cell with a hi discarge rating.

I have not done it yet, but i would guess that if you can just lower your head speed like i am and not damage the ESC or packs you would be just fine.

My packs are coming down a little warmer than when i was running 85% but my NON free whealing ESC is still at the same temps. And im flying in 90* degree weather.

Food for thought......
adjday is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2015, 02:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm starting to think I should have stuck with my own instinct and gone with the 3S version. My 6S just arrived today.....

I didn't want to buy 6S packs as I already have a pile of near new 3S packs. But as a beginner, who is still struggling to fly a 450, I'll be dirty if I crash the heli on it's maiden flight because it's a compromised setup.

I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet splash out more money to buy a couple of 6S packs and tame the insane headspeed down as much as I can.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your that worried about the 6s vs the 3s then you can just buy the dominator 3s motor (60 bucks new, cheaper on here if you can find one). But really, if you crash, it wont matter which motor or which hs you have. The damage will be just about the same. Running a 3s on a 6s motor is fine. Espeically if your just hovering around. A good setup of your fbl unit will give you a good platform to operate from. If you need help setting ir up, just post a question. There are plenty of people here that'll be more than happy to help.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2015, 04:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another way, if you don’t worry much about weight increased, and you willing to use your 3S batteries. You will need 2 packs of 3S battery, using Y connector to connect 2 of them in series. Your 2 x 3S batteries (@11.1v) will become 1 x 6S battery (@22.2v). This can drive your 6S motor.
First 3S pack inserted in battery slot, the 2nd one is under skid landing tied with battery hook&loop fastener.

Sam19600 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks for the suggestions

I've decided to go with Necroscope's suggestion.
I just ordered a 3S motor. It cost me $60, but it's going to save me a lot of headaches and I'll always have the 6S motor to upgrade to when/if I ever get to a skill level to utilise it.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought a 6S Dom because I wanted a GPro and the better servos. But I fly with my 3S LiPo packs which I already had. I just put a 3S motor in it and 325mm main blades (I don't know if a 3S setup can handle 360er blades)
Yilld is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 01:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
thanks for the suggestions

I've decided to go with Necroscope's suggestion.
I just ordered a 3S motor. It cost me $60, but it's going to save me a lot of headaches and I'll always have the 6S motor to upgrade to when/if I ever get to a skill level to utilise it.

Do remember to set your timing to high if using the default esc with the 3S motor. Some have reported motor lock ups during flight with medium timing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in