Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Boca bearings needed

Does anyone have a list of all of the bearings needed to change every bearing in a Protos to Boca? I know I saw someone taking about ordering a whole Protos bearing lot from Boca. Also I would like to know what is the total cost is should expect? I plan on swapping all of the bearings on one of my Protos to begin with then the other afterwards if I am impressed.
Clay333 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been getting the Amainhobbies 10 bearings for $10 in most sizes without any issues.

I use "The Greaser" to push fresh grease through them and have had zero issues with them.

Are you concerned about longevity, tolerances ???
Old 07-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I priced up a full set of stainless/ceramic bearings for my mini from boca, the total was $278.60 + shipping.
I could have cut it down to the essential bearings, but it was still $168.
I decided to stick with standard bearings for now, untill I run out, then think about boca's again.
Of course you dont have to go top of the line from boca, but I thought I might as well just go standard in that case.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

On the boca site. They have drive tran set for about $47. 12 pieces. I have not tried them but i am considering them for a few heli's
crashingrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

IMO Boca are a rip off, and ceramic hybrid bearings in a heli are a gimmick (except maybe for the guide pulleys on a protos). Try RC bearings for more reasonable prices and dont bother with ceramic hybrids anywhere except in the pulleys (if you want). Nothing else spins fast enough to warrant them.

Dont be suckered into really close tolerance ones either, anything more than ABEC 3 rating is pointless (the first minor jolt will ruin the close tolerances anyway) and just a waste of money.

The MSH bearings seem pretty good to me, much better than the crap gaui use (and dont even get me started on the blade ones, walkera use better bearings). So unless you want to buy cheaper bulk replacements for frequently damaged ones (main-shaft, blade grips etc.) I dont see any reason not to stick with the stock ones.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No guarantees, but here's a list from my worksheet w/ MSH parts. I definitely want to start stocking bearings in advance, so I can save some bux.

Bearings
Main Bearing 8x16x5 MSH51067 6.99 3 pack
x Flybar, mixer bearing 2x5x2.5 flanged MSH51066 5.99 2 pack
Blade Grip, tail shaft bearings 5x10x4 MSH51071 6.99 4 pack
Tail/front guide pulley bearing 3x8x3 MSH51072 4.99 2 pack
x Tail slider bearing 7x11x3 MSH51069 4.99 3 pack
Tail grip bearing 3x8x4 MSH51070 6.99 4 pack
15T pinion bearing 6x10x2.5
Tail pitch lever 3x6x2.5
Thrust bearings

I have to add that the ones marked with X have been struck through.
Either I did it (no more flybar, tail sliders bought as an assembly) or somebody I shared the worksheet with did it...
Old 07-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default installation video for Protos

i am very interested in getting an installation video of all the bearings for the MSH Protos. i would be willing to supply the bearings for free, but the video would have to follow our format, be clearly shot and have some audio explanation of anything you are doing that is not clear from watching. you can see some of our other installation videos on our youtube page here:

http://www.youtube.com/bocabearings

if anyone is interested please email me at jason@bocabearings.com.
Boca Bearing Company is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just did a complete set of 99 cent bearings for my Protos 500, plus a pair of ceramic hybrids for the motor for about $50 shipped from boca. Let me see if I can dig up my list.

does not include thrust bearings
Thank you for the following order :
-----------------------------------------Product-------------- ---- Qty------------- Price Each------------ Total
Main shaft 8x16x5-------------99MR688-ZZ ---------------3---------------- $0.99------------------- $2.97
Idler Pulley 3x8x3-------------#99MR83-ZZ-X10 ---------1 ----------------$9.89 ------------------ $9.89
Tail shaft and Blade grips----99MR105-ZZ -------------- 6 --------------- $0.99------------------- $5.94
Motor Bearing ------------------SMR695C-YZZ NB2 -----1 --------------- $7.95------------------- $7.95
Motor Bearing -----------------SMR685C-YZZ #5 NB2--1 ---------------$9.95 --------------------$9.95
Unshielded pinion bearing--#99MR106(X)-X10 -------- 1 ------------- $9.89 ---------------------$9.89

Subtotal : $46.59

The prices that are $9.89 are 10 packs.
The bearings that are $7.95 and $9.95 are the ceramic hybrids for the motor
Old 07-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Thanks Will, I just ordered a complete set myself.

57$ shipped to canada. not bad!

(i ordered sets of 10 instead of multiple singles)
Thalios is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalios View Post
Thanks Will, I just ordered a complete set myself.

57$ shipped to canada. not bad!

(i ordered sets of 10 instead of multiple singles)
Did you get the ceramics for the motor?
Old 07-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Same list as you ordered.
Thalios is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just installed the orange seal ABEC 7 ceramics in my Scorpion HK3226-900 KV motor this past week. I will tell you that this makes a huge difference in the performance as well as the motor temp. HUGE difference. I made a video of the installation and the next video will be of the main shaft and pinion replacement. Boca bearing CO. has made a kit specifically for the protos 500 that addresses the specific bearings that are under high rpm's, the remaining bearings such as the washout arms, flybar cage (should you have a fly barred model) and tail pitch arm are not part of the kit. I sent Boca the specs on the bearings that are needed and a kit was created.
One side note:
The only reason I used the orange seal abec 7 on the motor was because this is what I used on my 3026-880 motor last year. the kit that was created, doe's not include the upper and lower bearings for the 3226 series motor, nor the 3026 (older version). The difference between the two motor's are that the lower bearing on the 3026 is the OD, this model is smaller by 1mm as well as the height (thickness) by 1mm the 3026 series lower bearing spec's are 10mm OD x 5mm ID x 4mm H
compared to the 3226 series @ 11mm OD x 5mm ID x 5 mm H
both upper bearings remain the same size 13mm OD x 5mm ID x 4 mm H .
Mr dan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in