Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G JR Radios

2.4G JR Radios JR 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Radio Time

Hi all, i currently have a dx8 which i am waiting to have repaired and because its an early one i cant trust it anymore. I figured it would be cheaper to buy a new radio than my dx8 crashing my nice new 700 for me.

The 2 radios im looking at is the jr dsx11 and the 11x zero. is the module thing the only difference? is the zero worth the extra £100?? The reason i am after a dsm comparable system is all my helis have the ar7000bx and bnf stuff like mcpx and 130x and planks.

Can these radios do dsmx?

Is there anything i will miss from the dx8 like not having to charge it very often? not bothered about telemetry.

One last thing everyone at my club thinks the dsx9 is a better radio because one chap had a problem with an 11. what do you guy think??

Thanks!
talbot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Radio Help

I posted in the jr radio forum but no one replied

So hope no one minds me posting it again here!?!

Hi all, i currently have a dx8 which i am waiting to have repaired and because its an early one i cant trust it anymore. I figured it would be cheaper to buy a new radio than my dx8 crashing my nice new 700 for me.

The 2 radios im looking at is the jr dsx11 and the 11x zero. is the module thing the only difference? is the zero worth the extra £100?? The reason i am after a dsm comparable system is all my helis have the ar7000bx and bnf stuff like mcpx and 130x and planks.

Can these radios do dsmx? Apparently UK ones don't should i be put off by this?

Is there anything i will miss from the dx8 like not having to charge it very often? not bothered about telemetry.

One last thing everyone at my club thinks the dsx9 is a better radio because one chap had a problem with an 11. what do you guy think??

cheers, Kev
Old 06-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10.../printable.htm
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

So could i just get a US one and use it in UK. Who would know/care it has no ce stamp on it?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbot View Post
So could i just get a US one and use it in UK. Who would know/care it has no ce stamp on it?
The BMFA would care. If you have a serious crash (which you might with a 700) and life or limb or serious damage to property are involved they will do a full inspection of your equipment, both your transmitter and your crashed bird (whats left of it). No CE mark = no insurance through the BMFA.

If you are flying without BMFA insurance then you probably wont be too bothered about the fact that it is illegal to fire up a 2.4 device in the UK without a CE or BS mark.

Why dont you just send your DX8 back to Spektrum?... they did a product recall not so long ago (well about a year) and mine had to go back to have a new RF board I think and new gimbals. I happily fly my birds and planks with my DX8 without hesitation or problem, and have never had any issues.

As per usual, with a whif of a problem everyone and their dog jumps on the bandwagon and blames every crash on the DX8 if that is what they are using to fly. The issue is that only a very specific set of circumstances caused problems with the DX8 and this was resolved with the hardware and software updates.
jimmyhorns is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

arr ok i wont get a US one then if insurance wont cover it. This seams stupid as a safer system is not covered and a possably unsafe system is just because of a stupid stamp. A BS stamp is about right!

HH have picked my radio up today so might aswell stick with it. would be nice to go jr but not if it means i cant have dsmx seem like going back a step.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No real reason to get rid of the dx8.
Rago is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
arr ok i wont get a US one then if insurance wont cover it. This seams stupid as a safer system is not covered and a possably unsafe system is just because of a stupid stamp. A BS stamp is about right!

HH have picked my radio up today so might aswell stick with it. would be nice to go jr but not if it means i cant have dsmx seem like going back a step.

Thanks guys.
Why do you think the JR system is safer and why do you think the DSM2 or DSMX systems from spektrum are not safe... what issues have you had with them and what firmware are you running?
Old 06-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nothing wrong with JR
I use a DSX9 for all my birds and have never had a problem with it, IMHO it has a far better feel than any spektrum tx.

700n, 600efl pro dfc,600efl pro in AS350 fuselage. Ncpx, Tbs Discovery fpv with gopro.Mcpx Revell Huey, JR Dsx9.
RaceAce is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have an early dx8 and if i go to the monitor screen all the sticks were around 3% out then overnight aileron went to 17% out. I feel this could make a heli crash if it were to happen mid flight so thought to get a new radio but all my helis have dsm receivers hence why i want a dsm comparable system. Just thought if i buy a new radio upgrade and get jr but if they cant do dsmx a dont see this as an upgrade but a step back.

What i ment by the safety thing was a uk dsm2 with ce is insured and a us dsmx is not even tho it is a more stable system.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I was considering JR, it would be the XG8 DMSS.
Greybird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I have an early dx8 and if i go to the monitor screen all the sticks were around 3% out then overnight aileron went to 17% out. I feel this could make a heli crash if it were to happen mid flight so thought to get a new radio but all my helis have dsm receivers hence why i want a dsm comparable system. Just thought if i buy a new radio upgrade and get jr but if they cant do dsmx a dont see this as an upgrade but a step back.

What i ment by the safety thing was a uk dsm2 with ce is insured and a us dsmx is not even tho it is a more stable system.
The problem you describe is a gimbal problem, and was corrected by the unit going back to Spektrum for replacement gimbals.... The recall happened a year ago now.... did you register your dx8 with Spektrum for updates?... you must be running super old firmware too.

You will need to tell them there is a problem with the gimbals.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the info. I told them about the sticks not centering so i guess they will know whats up with it. Think ill stick with my dx8 for now but i do like the jr radios! Maybe when they come out with a dsmx with bs stamp!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird View Post
If I was considering JR, it would be the XG8 DMSS.
Cept then you need all new RXs, and if you like to be able to just hook sats to a FBL controller the only ones i know of that support DMSS are Skookum ones.

From an RF perspective DSMX is about the same as futaba, and are similarly robust.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

No comment on contraband equip use.Ive made it pretty clear how I feel about that in the past.

Send the DX8 in and have it fixed.They will fix it right.
You will surely miss the ease of programming among other things if you change now.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You probably need to go through the calibration. (In the System menu)
TignMeg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

JR will never make a DSMX system now they have their own protocol. In the UK you will not benefit from DSMX anyway as it is designed to be used at large events where large numbers of 2.4 units are in use at once, not really likely in the UK. Get your unit fixed, if you do not trust it then look for something else and sell it on when repaired.
adsmalan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in